Testing for Convergence or Divergence of 1+sin(n)/10^n Series

In summary, the limit of the series as n goes to infinity is not 0, which means the sum of the series diverges. To prove this, we can compare the series to 1/5^n, but this is incorrect. Instead, we can compare it to 2/10^n, which we know converges. This is because the root test tells us that the limit of 2^1/n / 10 is less than 1, meaning the series 2/10^n converges. By relating this to the original series, we can see that it also converges.
superdave

Homework Statement

Does the sum of the series from n=1 to infinity of 1+sin(n)/10^n converge or diverge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use the comparison test or the limit comparison test.
I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you tell me of the limit of the series as n reach infinity?

Well, the top part diverges, the bottom causes it to go to 0. So I don't know what happens faster.

Either it converges to 0, or it diverges.

The solution must involve the comparison test or the limit comparison test. But I'm not sure what to compare it to.

is the limit of the series as n goes to infinity is not 0 then the sum of the series diverge...

wait is it (1+sin(n))/10^n or 1+ (sin(n)/10^n)?

Try comparing sin n to n

if it's (1+sin(n))/10^n then can you tell me 1+sin(n) is smaller then what for all n?

It's (1+sin(n)). Hrm, smaller than 2. So I can compare it to 1/5^n. Now, I need to figure out how to prove that series converges. Is it a geometric series?

Actually, I know it converges, based on the root test. But I don't think we can use the root test now.

Last edited:
right but 1/5^n is wrong, keep it 2/10^n, now can you tell me if you know the root or the ratio test of a series?

alright. So root test gives me limit of 2^1/n / 10. I don't know what 2 ^1/n goes to. Is that even possible?

The root test is for when n goes to infinity..
1/n~0--->2^1/n=1,so (2^1/n)/10<1
you have just now proved that the series 2/10^n converge, how can you relate this to the series you started with?

Related to Testing for Convergence or Divergence of 1+sin(n)/10^n Series

What is testing for divergence?

Testing for divergence is a process used in scientific research to determine if a set of data or observations follow a specific pattern or trend. It involves analyzing the data and comparing it to a predetermined null hypothesis to see if there is a significant difference between the two.

Why is testing for divergence important?

Testing for divergence is important because it allows scientists to make informed conclusions about their data. By determining if there is a significant difference between the data and the null hypothesis, scientists can determine whether the data supports or refutes their hypothesis, and make decisions based on this information.

What are the steps involved in testing for divergence?

The steps involved in testing for divergence can vary depending on the specific research question and data being analyzed. However, generally, the steps include identifying the null hypothesis, choosing an appropriate statistical test, collecting and analyzing the data, and interpreting the results to determine if the data supports or refutes the null hypothesis.

What are some common statistical tests used in testing for divergence?

Some common statistical tests used in testing for divergence include t-tests, ANOVA (analysis of variance), correlation analysis, and chi-square tests. These tests are chosen based on the type of data being analyzed, the number of variables, and the research question being addressed.

What are some potential limitations of testing for divergence?

One limitation of testing for divergence is that it can only determine if there is a significant difference between the data and the null hypothesis, but it cannot prove causation. Additionally, the results of statistical tests can be influenced by factors such as sample size, data quality, and the chosen significance level. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these limitations when interpreting the results of their tests.