Testing for convergence/divergence

• Thread starter Dr Zoidburg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving different mathematical problems involving series and limits. Different methods were suggested and discussed, such as using the ratio test, L'Hopital's Rule, and the alternate series test. Ultimately, the conversation helped clarify and provide solutions to the problems at hand.
Dr Zoidburg
I've got a couple of problems I'm stuck on. Any help gratefully received!

Test for convergence/divergence:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(n+1)}{n^3 ln(n+2)}[/tex]

What test should I do here? Can I rearrange the equation to be:
[tex] \frac{(\frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{1}{n^3})}{ln(n+2)}[/tex]

and then use L'Hopital's Rule?
Or do I need to use the Integral test? If so, what should I put u=?

Next Question:
For what values of k isthe following series absolutely convergent? For what values k>=0 conditionally convergent?
[tex]\sum_{n = 3}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{n(\ln{n})[\ln{(\ln{n})}]^k}[/tex]

I've spent a looooonnnng time on this! This is what I've got thus far:
make [tex]u= ln(ln(n))[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{n(ln(n))} dn[/tex]
And then integrate as follows:
[tex]\lim_{b = 3 \to \infty} \int_{3}^{b} \frac{1}{u^k} du[/tex]
which gives us:
[tex]\frac{u^{(1-k)}}{1-k}|_{3}^{b}[/tex]
So does this mean it's convergent for k>1 and divergent for k=1?

Last question:
prove:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n^p}{a^n} = 0[/tex] where a & p are constants and a>1 & p>0
I've tried using the Ratio test here, but I ended up with 1/a, which obviously is not 0.

Thanks for any and all help/advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm just learning this stuff too but I'll tell you what I think.

So to determine when this converges or diverges.
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(n+1)}{n^3 ln(n+2)}
[/tex]
I actually think of ratio test on this one.
So
[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {(n+2)}{(n+1)^3 ln(n+3)} * \frac {n^3 ln(n+2)}{(n+1)}
[/tex]
will simplify to
[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {(n^4+2n^3)ln(n+2)}{(n^4...)ln(n+3)}
[/tex]
It seemed to me that the ln()'s weren't going to affect the limit and the greatest powers on top and bottom are both 4 with coefficients of 1, so the limit to infinity would just be 1. The ratio test says to converge the absolute value of this limit must be less than 1. I conclude that it does not converge. The only thing that could be wrong is how I ignored the ln(). But I mean they are both essentially ln(n) on top and bottom.

On your last question
[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n^p}{a^n} = 0
[/tex]
I would just think of it with L'Hopital's Rule

As you take more and more derivatives n^p will go to zero, because p is constant and it will be reduced with each dirv. And a^n will just be ln(a)a^n. Or maybe that's log(a) Anyway, the bottom will be large and the top will be 0.

You're second question doesn't look fun. I would consider the alt. series test. So, An must be less than A(n+1). That seems like it will be true since incrementing n, increases the denominator. The other part of the alt. series test says that the limit to inf. of An must be 0. Well I think that will always happen if k is positive, but if k were negative then you could move the that ln(ln(n)) to the top, then who knows if it would still go to 0.

I hope something I wrote can help. I can be pretty terrible at explaining things. Also I don't claim that any of my suggestions will work :-p

Let me know if you need clarification.

Another, perhaps easier, way to do the first part:

[tex]\frac{n+1}{n^3 \ln (n+2)} = \frac{n}{n^3 \ln (n+2)} + \frac{1}{n^3 \ln (n+2)} \leq \frac{n}{n^3} + \frac{1}{n^3} = \frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]

and use the comparison test.

That makes much more sense. Also the thing I did with the radio test failed. I forgot that if it equals 1, then it is inconclusive.

Nice job jbunni.

Thanks for the replies. It's helped me get my head around these problems better.
I like jbunniii's solution. very clever and succinct.
For this question:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n^p}{a^n} = 0[/tex]
my solution is:
Apply L'Hopital's Rule:
[tex]\frac{p}{ln(a)} [\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n^{p-1}}{a^n}][/tex]
We continue applying L'Hopital's Rule until we eventually get to:
[tex]\frac{p!}{ln^p(a)} [\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {1}{a^n}][/tex]
Which gives us 0, as
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {1}{a^n} = \frac{1}{\infty} = 0[/tex]

That's another assignment out of the way.
Happy Easter all!

Last edited:

Related to Testing for convergence/divergence

What is convergence and divergence?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of a series, which is a sequence of numbers. A series is said to be convergent if its terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is divergent if its terms do not approach a finite limit.

Why is it important to test for convergence/divergence?

Testing for convergence and divergence is important because it helps us determine the behavior of a series. This information can be used to determine the validity of mathematical calculations, as well as the convergence of numerical methods in solving equations and other problems.

What are some common tests for convergence/divergence?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. Each of these tests has its own set of conditions and can be useful in different situations.

How do you perform the comparison test?

The comparison test is used to compare the behavior of a given series with that of another series whose convergence or divergence is known. If the known series converges and the given series is smaller than it, then the given series also converges. If the known series diverges and the given series is larger than it, then the given series also diverges.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

A series is said to be absolutely convergent if the absolute value of its terms converges. In other words, the series would still converge even if all the terms were positive. A series is conditionally convergent if the series converges, but the absolute value of its terms does not converge.