Tesseract: 4D Shape Constructed? Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the tesseract, also known as a hypercube, is a mathematical object that cannot be drawn on paper. It has found applications in various fields, and its projections to 2 dimensions are just representations of its higher-dimensional form. The construction of a tesseract can be imagined as connecting parallel cubes in 4-dimensional space.
monty37
iam sorry if this is crackpottery,but is it true that a 4 dimensional figure*called the tesseract has been constructed,i came across this over the net.*kindly rebuke me if iam not abiding with the rules of pf.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "constructed"?

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract it will probably answer all your questions. Assuming with constructed you don't mean built from wood.

i mean not exactly constructed,but is the tesseract true,i mean how can a 4d object be
drawn on paper.the link what you gave was where i saw earlier on tesseract,i want
a better explanation.

The tesseract is not a statement that can be "true" or "false". It's a mathematical object. A 4D object cannot be drawn on paper. The pictures you see of the tesseract are just projections, just like you can project a 3D object onto paper.

has the tesseract found its applications in various fields,and on what basis has this been
projected?,i mean considering what as the 4th dimension has this been projected?

That question was answered in the wikipedia link.

Projections to 2 dimensions

The construction of a hypercube can be imagined the following way:

* 1-dimensional: Two points A and B can be connected to a line, giving a new line segment AB.
* 2-dimensional: Two parallel line segments AB and CD can be connected to become a square, with the corners marked as ABCD.
* 3-dimensional: Two parallel squares ABCD and EFGH can be connected to become a cube, with the corners marked as ABCDEFGH.
* 4-dimensional: Two parallel cubes ABCDEFGH and IJKLMNOP can be connected to become a hypercube, with the corners marked as ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP.

Related to Tesseract: 4D Shape Constructed? Fact or Fiction?

1. What is a tesseract?

A tesseract is a four-dimensional shape that is constructed by adding a fourth dimension to a cube. It is also known as a hypercube.

2. How is a tesseract constructed?

A tesseract is constructed by taking a cube and adding a fourth dimension perpendicular to the three existing dimensions. This creates a shape with 8 cubes connected by 24 squares and 32 edges.

3. Is a tesseract a real shape or just a concept?

A tesseract is a real shape that exists mathematically, but it is difficult to visualize in our three-dimensional world. It is often used as a concept to help explain higher dimensions.

4. Can a tesseract be seen or touched?

In our three-dimensional world, we cannot see or touch a tesseract. However, with the help of technology, we can create visual representations of a tesseract on a two-dimensional screen or paper.

5. Are there any real-world applications of a tesseract?

Although we may not be able to see or touch a tesseract in the physical world, it has many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. Tesseracts are also used in science fiction and other media as a way to explore the concept of higher dimensions.