Tensor Product - Knapp - Theorem 6.10 .... Further Question

In summary: The thing to remember is that the tensor product is a linear operation and that the structure of the tensor product is determined by the structure of the first two vector spaces.In summary, the tensor product of two vector spaces is a linear operation that produces a new vector space that satisfies the rules of ordinary multiplication and addition. The structure of the tensor product is determined by the structure of the first two vector spaces.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anthony W. Knapp's book: Basic Algebra in order to understand tensor products ... ...

I need some help with a further aspect of the proof of Theorem 6.10 in Section 6 of Chapter VI: Multilinear Algebra ...

The text of Theorem 6.10 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=20761c54b5f7418b2421d2c6e83f9f89.png

The above proof mentions Figure 6.1 which is provided below ... as follows:

In the above text, in the proof of Theorem 6.10 under "PROOF OF EXISTENCE" we read:

" ... ... The bilinearity of [itex]b[/itex] shows that [itex]B_1[/itex] maps [itex]V_0[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex]. By Proposition 2.25, [itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex], and we have [itex]Bi = b[/itex]. "
My questions are as follows:Question 1

Can someone please give a detailed demonstration of how the bilinearity of [itex]b[/itex] shows that [itex]B_1[/itex] maps [itex]V_0[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex]?Question 2

Can someone please explain what is meant by "[itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex]" and show why this is the case ... also showing why/how [itex]Bi = b[/itex] ... ... ?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter===========================================================*** EDIT ***

The above post mentions Proposition 2.25 so I am providing the text ... as follows:
?temp_hash=0056dc594d9ea4604db6b3d726d39a45.png

============================================================*** EDIT 2 ***

After a little reflection it appears that the answer to my Question 2 above should "fall out" or result from matching the situation in Theorem 6.10 to that in Proposition 2.25 ... also I have noticed a remark of Knapp's following the statement of Proposition 2.25 which reads as follows:
?temp_hash=369f867dba02ccfff528d343805d5e2e.png
So that explains the language: "[itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex]" ... ...

BUT ... I remain perplexed over question 1 ...

Peter

Attachments

• Knap - 1 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 1       ... ....png
    Knap - 1 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 1 ... ....png
    47 KB · Views: 565
  • Knap - 2 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 2       ... ....png
    Knap - 2 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 2 ... ....png
    40.2 KB · Views: 519
  • Knapp - Figure 6.1     ....png
    Knapp - Figure 6.1 ....png
    11.7 KB · Views: 531
  • Knapp - Proposition 2.25 ....png
    Knapp - Proposition 2.25 ....png
    68.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Knapp - 2 - Proposition 2.25 - PART 2 ....png
    Knapp - 2 - Proposition 2.25 - PART 2 ....png
    4.1 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I am reading Anthony W. Knapp's book: Basic Algebra in order to understand tensor products ... ...

I need some help with a further aspect of the proof of Theorem 6.10 in Section 6 of Chapter VI: Multilinear Algebra ...

The text of Theorem 6.10 reads as follows:

The above proof mentions Figure 6.1 which is provided below ... as follows:

In the above text, in the proof of Theorem 6.10 under "PROOF OF EXISTENCE" we read:

" ... ... The bilinearity of [itex]b[/itex] shows that [itex]B_1[/itex] maps [itex]V_0[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex]. By Proposition 2.25, [itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex], and we have [itex]Bi = b[/itex]. "
My questions are as follows:Question 1

Can someone please give a detailed demonstration of how the bilinearity of [itex]b[/itex] shows that [itex]B_1[/itex] maps [itex]V_0[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex]?Question 2

Can someone please explain what is meant by "[itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex]" and show why this is the case ... also showing why/how [itex]Bi = b[/itex] ... ... ?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter===========================================================*** EDIT ***

The above post mentions Proposition 2.25 so I am providing the text ... as follows:
?temp_hash=0056dc594d9ea4604db6b3d726d39a45.png

============================================================*** EDIT 2 ***

After a little reflection it appears that the answer to my Question 2 above should "fall out" or result from matching the situation in Theorem 6.10 to that in Proposition 2.25 ... also I have noticed a remark of Knapp's following the statement of Proposition 2.25 which reads as follows:
?temp_hash=369f867dba02ccfff528d343805d5e2e.png
So that explains the language: "[itex]B_1[/itex] descends to a linear map [itex]B \ : \ V_1/V_0 \longrightarrow U[/itex]" ... ...

BUT ... I remain perplexed over question 1 ...

Peter
... ... BUT NOTE ... after further reflection and work ...

I am having trouble applying Proposition 2.25 to Theorem 6.10 ... SO ... Question 2 remains a problem ... hope someone can help ...AND ... I remain perplexed over question 1 ...

Peter

Here is a way of thinking that may help with tensor products.

When one multiplies two numbers ##xy## ,for instance real or complex numbers, then the rules of ordinary multiplication and addition say that

##(ax)y = a(xy) = x(ay)##, ##(x_1 + x_2)y = x_1y + x_2y## and ##x(y_1 + y_2) = xy_1 + xy_2##

One would like to have exactly the same rules apply when ##x## and ##y## are vectors in two(usually different) vector spaces and ##a## is a scalar. Since it makes no sense to multiply vectors one needs to decide what a multiplication would mean. Your book defines the tensor product as the solution to a universal mapping problem. andrewkirk defines it in another way.

Whatever the construction one gets "products" ##x⊗y## in a new vector space, ##V⊗W##, that satisfy the rules of multiplication and addition. That is:

* ##a(x⊗y) = (ax)⊗y = x⊗(ay)##, ##(x_1+x_2)⊗y = x_1⊗y + x_2⊗y## and ##x⊗(y_1+y_2) = x⊗y_1+x⊗y_2##

This new vector space will be all linear combinations ##Σ_{i}a_{i}x_{i}⊗y_{i}## subject to the required rules of multiplication and addition. That is: the tensor product is just the vectors space of all symbols ##Σ_{i}a_{i}x_{i}⊗y_{i}## subject to the equivalence relations *

One can think of the tensor product of two vector spaces completely formally in this way. You tell yourself, " However it was constructed, this is what is must look like."

It is easy to check that a linear map from ##V⊗W## into another vector space,##U##, determines a bilinear map from ##V##x##W## into ##U## and visa versa.

Here is an exercise: Let ##V## be a vector space over the real numbers and view the complex numbers ##C## as a vectors space over the real numbers as well. What is the space ##V⊗C##? Is it a complex vector space?

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Inner products can also be defined on free abelian groups. ##g(x,y)## is a symmetric positive definite bilinear form that takes values in the integers. There is the additional condition that for every linear map ##L## of ##V## into the integers there is a unique ##v_0## such that
##L(w) = g(w,v_0)## for all ##w## in ##L##.

- Show that there is only one inner product on the integers.

Last edited:

Related to Tensor Product - Knapp - Theorem 6.10 .... Further Question

1. What is the Tensor Product?

The Tensor Product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is used in various fields of mathematics and physics.

2. What is Knapp's Theorem 6.10?

Knapp's Theorem 6.10 is a theorem that states the existence of a unique linear map between two tensor products of vector spaces, under certain conditions. This theorem is often used in the study of representation theory and Lie groups.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 6.10 in the study of Tensor Products?

Theorem 6.10 is significant because it allows us to define a well-behaved linear map between tensor products, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics. This theorem also helps in understanding the structure and properties of tensor products.

4. Can Theorem 6.10 be applied to any type of vector spaces?

No, Theorem 6.10 can only be applied to finite-dimensional vector spaces. It also requires the vector spaces to have certain properties, such as being associative and having a unit element.

5. Are there any further questions or implications related to Theorem 6.10?

Yes, there are many further questions and implications related to Theorem 6.10. Some of these include its applications in quantum mechanics, differential geometry, and algebraic topology. There are also ongoing research and developments on generalizing this theorem to infinite-dimensional vector spaces.