Tensor Product - Knapp, Chapter VI, Section 6

In summary, Knapp is introducing tensor products and provides a clear explanation of the notation and approach he is using. He states that V_1 is the direct sum of a lot of lines, each of which is the direct sum of a field and a basis vector. He provides a clear definition of direct sum that is easy to understand.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anthony W. Knapp's book: Basic Algebra in order to understand tensor products ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of Theorem 6.10 in Section 6 of Chapter VI: Multilinear Algebra ...

The text of Theorem 6.10 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=6e6dc70c5d7030eee702e657501a0495.png

?temp_hash=6e6dc70c5d7030eee702e657501a0495.png

About midway in the above text, just at the start of "PROOF OF EXISTENCE", Knapp writes the following:

" ... ... Let [itex]V_1 = \bigoplus_{ (e,f) } \mathbb{K} (e, f)[/itex], the direct sum being taken over all ordered pairs [itex](e,f)[/itex] with [itex]e \in E[/itex] and [itex]f \in F[/itex]. ... ... "I do not understand Knapp's notation for the exact sum ... what exactly does he mean by [itex]\bigoplus_{ (e,f) } \mathbb{K} (e, f)[/itex] ... ... ? What does he mean by the [itex]\mathbb{K} (e, f)[/itex] after the [itex]\bigoplus_{ (e,f) }[/itex] sign ... ?If others also find his notation perplexing then maybe those readers who have a good understanding of tensor products can interpret what he means from the flow of the proof ...Note that in his section on direct products Knapp uses standard notation and their is nothing in his earlier sections that I know of that gives a clue to the notation I am querying here ... if any readers request me to provide some of Knapp's text on the definition of direct products I will provide it ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter*** NOTE ***

To give readers an idea of Knapp's approach and notation regarding tensor products I am proving Knapp's introduction to Chapter VI, Section 6: Tensor Product of Two Vector Spaces ... ... ... as follows ... ... ... :
?temp_hash=96b736101c983de1a9e997eab01d3961.png

?temp_hash=96b736101c983de1a9e997eab01d3961.png

Attachments

• Knap - 1 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 1       ... ....png
    Knap - 1 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 1 ... ....png
    47 KB · Views: 527
  • Knap - 2 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 2       ... ....png
    Knap - 2 - Theorem 6.10 - Part 2 ... ....png
    40.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Knapp - 1 - Section 6 - PART 1        ... ....png
    Knapp - 1 - Section 6 - PART 1 ... ....png
    57 KB · Views: 519
  • Knapp - 2 - Section 6 - PART 2        ... ....png
    Knapp - 2 - Section 6 - PART 2 ... ....png
    68.8 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
K.(e,f) is a copy of the field K,. but labeled with the symbol (e,f). or if you like it is the set of all scalar multiples of the basis vector (e,f). that way he gets a separate copy of K for each symbol (e,f). he is just taking the direct sum of many copies of K, one for each symbol (e,f). another way to say is to consider instead all functions from the set ExF into K, that are zero everywhere except at a finite number of the pairs (e,f). of course that is just the formal definition of a direct sum.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks mathwonk ... that is extremely clear ... I feel I can move on with Knapp's treatment now ...

... so actually [itex] V_1 [/itex] is the direct sum of a lot of "lines" of the form [itex] \mathbb{K} (e, f) [/itex] ...

Peter

yes!

Related to Tensor Product - Knapp, Chapter VI, Section 6

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is used to represent the outer product of two vectors.

2. How is a tensor product related to multilinear maps?

A tensor product is closely related to multilinear maps because it can be thought of as a way to generalize the notion of a linear map. In fact, a tensor product is defined as a multilinear map that satisfies certain properties.

3. Can you give an example of a tensor product?

One common example of a tensor product is the cross product of two vectors in three-dimensional space. The cross product is a type of tensor product that creates a new vector that is perpendicular to the original two vectors.

4. How is the tensor product used in physics?

In physics, the tensor product is used to describe the relationship between two vector spaces. For example, in quantum mechanics, the tensor product is used to represent the state of a system that is composed of multiple particles.

5. What are the properties of the tensor product?

There are several properties of the tensor product, including bilinearity, associativity, and distributivity. These properties allow the tensor product to be used in various mathematical operations and make it a powerful tool in many fields of science.