Tensor calculus, gradient of skew tensor

This means that the conservation of angular momentum is satisfied, as the change in angular momentum is equal to the external torque acting on the system. In summary, the use of the arbitrary constant skew tensor ##\Lambda## in the derivation of the conservation of angular momentum implies that the gradient of ##\Lambda## is zero, leading to the conclusion that the conservation of angular momentum is satisfied.
Telemachus
Hi there. I was dealing with the derivation on continuum mechanics for the conservation of angular momentum. The derivation I was studying uses an arbitrary constant skew tensor ##\Lambda##. It denotes by ##\lambda## its axial vector, so that ##\Lambda=\lambda \times##

Then it defines ##w(x)=\lambda \times r=\Lambda r##

So that ##grad (\Lambda r)=\Lambda##

And that's the doubt I have.

When I do ##grad (\Lambda r)## I have (I use that ##r=x-x_0##):

##\displaystyle grad (\Lambda r)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} ( \Lambda_{ij} r_j ) = \frac{\partial \Lambda_{ij} } {\partial x_k} r_j + \frac {\partial r_j} {\partial x_k} \Lambda_{ij} = \frac{\partial \Lambda_{ij}} {\partial x_k} (x_j-x_{0j})+\frac{\partial (x_j-x_{0j})}{\partial x_k}\Lambda_{ij}=(grad \Lambda ) r+\Lambda ##

Now, the fact that ##\Lambda## was constant determines that the gradient is zero? that was the doubt, I recognize that I didn't noticed before the fact that the tensor was constant until I written this post :p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, since ##\Lambda## is a constant skew tensor, this implies that the gradient of it is zero, i.e., ##grad \Lambda = 0##. Therefore, we have that $$grad (\Lambda r) = \Lambda.$$

Related to Tensor calculus, gradient of skew tensor

1. What is Tensor Calculus?

Tensor calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects used to represent geometric concepts such as vectors and matrices. It is an important tool in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is a gradient of skew tensor?

The gradient of a skew tensor is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a skew tensor in a particular direction. It is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest increase of the tensor and has a magnitude equal to the rate of change.

3. How is Tensor Calculus used in science?

Tensor calculus is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to study and solve problems involving multidimensional systems. It is particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of materials, the flow of fluids, and the motion of objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of Tensor Calculus?

Tensor calculus has numerous real-world applications, including image and signal processing, robotics, computer graphics, and medical imaging. It is also used in the development of machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. What are some important concepts in Tensor Calculus?

Some important concepts in Tensor Calculus include tensor operations such as addition, multiplication, and differentiation, as well as concepts like covariant and contravariant tensors, tensor fields, and tensor calculus notation. It is also important to understand the properties and transformations of tensors.