Tension with a pulley question

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a hanging mass, where the forces of tension and acceleration are calculated using various equations. There is confusion about the tension in the rope and the force used to pull the bucket down, but it is clarified that the tension is equal to the force induced by gravity in a balanced system. In a later part of the problem, there is an unbalanced force that causes the bucket to accelerate, leading to a calculation of 17.0896N of tension in the rope.
AAAA

Homework Statement

ed789e045b.png

Homework Equations

us*Fn = Fs
FNET = ma
Fk = us*Fn

3. The Attempt at a Solution
A
0.42*9.8*4.4 = Fs
Fs = 18.1104N

B
F = ma
m = 18.1104N/9.8m/s/s
m = 1.848kg

1.848kg-0.120kg = 1.728kg for the washers to make up for

1.728kg/(0.02kg/washer) = ~86 washers

C
I'm not sure how to answer this question.

D
Fk = us*Fn
= 0.34*9.8*4.4
= 14.6608N

FNET = ma
Ft - Fk = (4.4+(1.848))*(a)
18.11 - 14.6608 = (4.4+(1.848))*(a)
a = 3.4496/(4.4+1.848)
a = ~0.552m/s/s

I get the right answers for this question, but what I don't understand is that, the force required to overcome static friction is ~18.11N. But the box is not getting the full 18.11N from the bucket, is it? Isn't some of that force used to push the bucket down, and then tension is what ends up needing to be 18.11N? How can the tension be the entire 18.1104N if some of that force is "used" to pull the bucket down?

Sorry if this is a little confusing. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you think this down force is coming from?

paisiello2 said:
Where do you think this down force is coming from?
From the bucket being accelerated by gravity.

But I think I get it now. The forces are balanced, nothing is moving, so that -Fg = Ft. The tension is equal to the force induced by gravity.

HANGING MASS
0afcb78916.png

Am I correct in my assumption?

I think your question/confusion is this:

If you pull on something using a rope, with a force, 18N say, and the resistance is 10N, then the object accelerates. But, you also think the tension in the rope should be 10N, not 18N.

The first point is that if the tension were only 10N, then why would the object accelerate? It would have no way to know that the force on the other end of the rope is 18N. It would only know about the 10N it feels. So, the tension must be 18N.

But, more fundamentally, I think you're not grasping the second law: F = ma. One of the consequences of this law is that if a force is not fully resisted by another force then it causes acceleration. I think you want the force in this case somehow to dissipate? You apply a force, the object accelerates and somehow the acceleration replaces the force? And the force is no longer measurable?

It's an interesting way to look at things! All I can say is that it's not correct. An unbalanced force that caused acceleration is still measurable. Both the acceleration and the force can be measured.

Concerning c: what happens if a student touches the experimental setup while putting one of the last washers in, or if the washer falls down the last centimeter and suddenly hits the bucket? Also consider your result from (D).

PeroK said:
I think your question/confusion is this:

If you pull on something using a rope, with a force, 18N say, and the resistance is 10N, then the object accelerates. But, you also think the tension in the rope should be 10N, not 18N.

The first point is that if the tension were only 10N, then why would the object accelerate? It would have no way to know that the force on the other end of the rope is 18N. It would only know about the 10N it feels. So, the tension must be 18N.

But, more fundamentally, I think you're not grasping the second law: F = ma. One of the consequences of this law is that if a force is not fully resisted by another force then it causes acceleration. I think you want the force in this case somehow to dissipate? You apply a force, the object accelerates and somehow the acceleration replaces the force? And the force is no longer measurable?

It's an interesting way to look at things! All I can say is that it's not correct. An unbalanced force that caused acceleration is still measurable. Both the acceleration and the force can be measured.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2Ff0JbZ%2F0afcb78916.png

So is this the correct way of looking at this problem? ↓

AAAA said:
The forces are balanced, nothing is moving, so that -Fg = Ft. The tension is equal to the force induced by gravity.

AAAA said:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2Ff0JbZ%2F0afcb78916.png

So is this the correct way of looking at this problem? ↓

First, apologies, as I misunderstood what you were asking. So, ignore my first post.

If we are taking about part d), then no that's not correct. You don't need to consider the tension to solve the problem. If you do consider the tension, then you were right the first time. It will be less than the gravitational force on the bucket. For the reasons you explained!

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Do you want to calculate the tension in the rope for part d)?

PS I think I might have just understood what you're asking!

Last edited:
The diagram I made is regarding part a). What was confusing me is that some of the force must be "used" to pull the bucket down, and the rest is used as the tensile force to pull the cart. What I think now is that since the forces are balanced in part a) (like in the diagram), the force of tension must be 18.1104N, but later in part d), for example, there is a force imbalance which causes the bucket to accelerate (due to having a lower frictional force)→ in which case I think you do have less force than what is induced in the bucket by gravity, because some of the force is used to push it down.

Would this be correct for calculating tension in the bucket for part d)?
Fnet = ma
Ft - Fk = ma
Ft - 14.6608 = 4.4(0.552)
Ft - 14.6608 + 14.6608 = 2.4288 + 14.6608
Ft = 17.0896N of tension in the rope for part d)

So that means that 1.0208N of force are used to pull the bucket down, right?

1.0208N/1.848kg = 0.552m/s/s

Thank you all for your help so far.

AAAA said:
The diagram I made is regarding part a). What was confusing me is that some of the force must be "used" to pull the bucket down, and the rest is used as the tensile force to pull the cart. What I think now is that since the forces are balanced in part a) (like in the diagram), the force of tension must be 18.1104N, but later in part d), for example, there is a force imbalance which causes the bucket to accelerate (due to having a lower frictional force)→ in which case I think you do have less force than what is induced in the bucket by gravity, because some of the force is used to push it down.

Would this be correct for calculating tension in the bucket for part d)?
Fnet = ma
Ft - Fk = ma
Ft - 14.6608 = 4.4(0.552)
Ft - 14.6608 + 14.6608 = 2.4288 + 14.6608
Ft = 17.0896N of tension in the rope for part d)

So that means that 1.0208N of force are used to pull the bucket down, right?

1.0208N/1.848kg = 0.552m/s/s

Thank you all for your help so far.

Yes. That sounds spot on to me.

I can't vouch for all your numbers, but that's definitely the right approach. It was good to double-check with the acceleration on both objects: that's a good habit to get into.

PeroK said:
Yes. That sounds spot on to me.

I can't vouch for all your numbers, but that's definitely the right approach. It was good to double-check with the acceleration on both objects: that's a good habit to get into.
Alright, thanks a lot for all your help!

Related to Tension with a pulley question

1. What is tension in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system refers to the force that is transmitted through a rope or cable when it is pulled taut. It is the same amount of force that is applied to both ends of the rope or cable.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect tension?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the amount of tension, but it does affect the direction and distribution of the tension. Using multiple pulleys can make it easier to lift heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed.

3. What factors affect tension in a pulley system?

The main factors that affect tension in a pulley system are the force applied, the number of pulleys, the weight of the object being lifted, and the friction of the pulleys and rope or cable. These factors can impact the amount of tension needed to lift an object and the efficiency of the system.

4. How can tension be calculated in a pulley system?

To calculate tension in a pulley system, you will need to know the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys, and the angle of the rope or cable. Using these values, you can then use the formula T = W/(2n sinθ), where T is the tension, W is the weight, n is the number of pulleys, and θ is the angle of the rope or cable.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension in a pulley system?

Static tension refers to the amount of force that is required to keep an object in place, while dynamic tension is the force that is required to move an object. In a pulley system, static tension is the force needed to keep the object lifted in place, while dynamic tension is the force needed to actually lift the object.