Tension Problem when swinging on a vine

• Thread starter lvlech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the student is discussing a homework problem about Tarzan swinging on a vine in the jungle. They are trying to determine the tension on the vine at the lowest point of his swing and whether it is greater than, less than, or equal to Tarzan's gravitational force. The student suggests that the tension is equal to Tarzan's weight and that it would break if it were greater, or there would be no tension if it were less. The teacher prompts the student to use the equation F=ma and identify the forces acting on Tarzan, as well as his acceleration.
lvlech
This is my first time taking physics in my life. I want to get the concepts down on this homework problem.

Homework Statement

Tarzan swings through the jungle on a vine. At the lowest point of his swing, is the tension in the vine greater than, less than, or equal to the gravitational force on Tarzan. Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on logic, isn't the tension on the vine at the lowest point equal to the gravitational force of tarzan because I was thinking if the tension was greater than the gravitational force on tarzan, then the vine would break? Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
lvlech said:
This is my first time taking physics in my life. I want to get the concepts down on this homework problem.

Homework Statement

Tarzan swings through the jungle on a vine. At the lowest point of his swing, is the tension in the vine greater than, less than, or equal to the gravitational force on Tarzan. Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on logic, isn't the tension on the vine at the lowest point equal to the gravitational force of tarzan because I was thinking if the tension was greater than the gravitational force on tarzan, then the vine would break? Is that correct?

Welcome to the PF!

Think about it this way -- is there a difference in the tension between if Tarzan is just hanging there, as opposed to swinging through an arc? What is different about his motion between those two cases?

If Tarzan was hanging there, there would definitely be tension because of Tarzan's weight pulling the vine down. When he is swinging, I think the gravitational pull would be the same, but the tension at different points on the swing would not be the same?

lvlech said:
If Tarzan was hanging there, there would definitely be tension because of Tarzan's weight pulling the vine down. When he is swinging, I think the gravitational pull would be the same, but the tension at different points on the swing would not be the same?

All correct statements. What do you know about centripital acceleration?

Hm... I know that acceleration would be going toward the center. Centripetal Acceleration should also be going towards the center?

Welcome to PF!

Hi lvlech ! Welcome to PF! :wink:
lvlech said:
Hm... I know that acceleration would be going toward the center. Centripetal Acceleration should also be going towards the center?

(what's the difference? :confused:)

Use F = ma …

how many forces are there on Tarzan?

if his speed is v, what is his acceleration? :smile:

The problem does not give any numbers. It is just asking what the lowest point of the swing on the tension be greater than, less than or equal to the weight of Tarzan. I think it is equal to Tarzan's weight because the rope tension could only support the max amount of weight of gravitational pull? If it is greater, the vine would snap? If it is less than Tarzan's weight, there should not be any tension.

lvlech said:
The problem does not give any numbers.

Yes, but physics is equations

it usually helps to give everything names (m for mass, v for velocity, r for radius), and put them in an equation …

you didn't really think you were going to be able to get away with not using any equations, did you? :wink:

Anyway, answer those questions …

how many forces are there on Tarzan?

if his speed is v, what is his (vertical) acceleration?

Related to Tension Problem when swinging on a vine

1. What is tension and how does it affect swinging on a vine?

Tension is a force that pulls on an object, and it plays a crucial role in the mechanics of swinging on a vine. When you swing on a vine, your weight creates tension in the vine, which allows you to gain momentum and move forward.

2. Why is tension important when swinging on a vine?

Tension is important because it is the force that keeps you moving forward while swinging on a vine. Without tension, the vine would not be able to support your weight and you would not be able to gain momentum or move forward.

3. How does the length of the vine affect the tension while swinging?

The length of the vine affects the tension by determining how much force is needed to pull the vine and create tension. A longer vine will require more force to pull, resulting in greater tension and potentially allowing for a longer swing.

4. How does the angle of the vine affect the tension while swinging?

The angle of the vine also affects tension by determining the direction in which the force is applied. A steeper angle will require more force to pull the vine and create tension, while a shallower angle will require less force.

5. What happens if there is too much tension while swinging on a vine?

If there is too much tension, the vine may snap or break, causing you to fall. It is important to properly assess the strength and stability of the vine before swinging on it to avoid potential accidents due to excessive tension.