Tension Problem (Two strings and an object)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in two strings supporting a hemispherical sign with a diameter of 1m and a mass of 50kg. The equation W=mg is mentioned, followed by a discussion about creating x and y-axes and determining torque. The final answer is determined to be T1=166.67n and T2=333.33n.
AY3
1. A hemispherical sign in 1m diameter and of mass equal to 50kg is supported by two strings. Calculate the tension in the strings.

2mgtjyu.jpg

2. W = mg

3. I tried to solve it but the only thing I was able to do is knowing the distance between the two strings which is 0.75m, I'm new to physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AY3. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Identify a point about which you can take moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I create an X and Y axes and then do the sin and cos with an angle of 90 degrees?

Placing an x and a y-axis on the diagram would be a good first step.

It doesn't matter exactly where you locate them.

Last edited:
I solved it, the first step was creating an equation for the summition of force. I called the strings T2 and T2, the equation is T1+T2-W=0 because the object is in equilibrium. I have two unknowns in the equation. So the next step is determining the torque, assuming the point of rotation is T2.
Its equation was (T1*0.75)–(W*0.25)=0
In the end T1=166.67n and by substituting in the first equation T2=333.33n

I meant T1 and T2.

Related to Tension Problem (Two strings and an object)

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. In the case of a tension problem with two strings and an object, the tension is the force that is being applied to the object by the two strings.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a tension problem?

To calculate the tension in a tension problem, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. In this case, the force is the tension in the strings, the mass is the weight of the object, and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity. By setting up and solving equations, you can determine the tension in each string.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a tension problem?

The tension in a tension problem can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the angle at which the strings are pulling on the object, and the strength and elasticity of the strings themselves. Any changes to these factors can result in a change in the tension applied to the object.

4. Is the tension the same in both strings in a tension problem?

In most cases, the tension will not be the same in both strings in a tension problem. This is because the tension in each string is directly related to the angle at which the string is pulling on the object. If the angles of the strings are different, the tension in each string will also be different.

5. How can tension problems be applied in real-life situations?

Tension problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and even everyday activities. For example, tension problems can be used to determine the strength of cables and ropes in construction, or the tension in muscles and tendons in the human body during physical activity. Understanding tension is important in many fields and can provide valuable insights into how forces affect our world.