Tension problem - bead sliding on a string attached to a pole

In summary, the problem is about finding the unknown angle of a bead that is free to slide along a string attached to two points on a vertical pole. The length of the string is known, and the problem involves using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the unknown sides and thus the unknown angle.
chelsea526

Homework Statement

A 100 g bead is free to slide along an 80 cm long piece of string ABC. The ends of the string are attached to a vertical pole at A and C, which are 40 cm apart. When the pole is rotated about its axis, AB becomes horizontal.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Trigonometry formuals

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trigonometry troubles! I only know one angle (90), and one side length (0.40 m). The bead is somewhere along the 0.80 m string, which is where the unknown angle is formed.

I thought I could use cos90 = 0.40/hyp, however, my calculator doesn't like this formula.
How can I find the lengths of the sides, so that I may then find the unknown angle??

Attachments

• lesson09_image08.gif
    lesson09_image08.gif
    1 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
chelsea526 said:
I only know one angle (90), and one side length (0.40 m). The bead is somewhere along the 0.80 m string, which is where the unknown angle is formed.
Take advantage of the fact that you know the length of the string. What does that tell you?

Im not sure if I should be trying to use this equation

adj^2 + opp^2 = hyp^2 ?

I really am stumped that you don't know where along the string the bead is.

chelsea526 said:
Im not sure if I should be trying to use this equation

adj^2 + opp^2 = hyp^2 ?
That's Pythagorean theorem. It'll do fine.

I really am stumped that you don't know where along the string the bead is.
Call one of the unknown sides X. What's the hypotenuse in terms of X?

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical mindset. In this case, we can use the given information and equations to solve for the unknown angle and the tension on the string.

First, we can draw a diagram of the situation to visualize the problem. From the diagram, we can see that the string forms a right triangle with the pole. The unknown angle is the angle formed between the string and the horizontal line.

Next, we can use the trigonometric formula of cosθ = adjacent/hypotenuse to solve for the unknown angle. In this case, the adjacent side is the distance between the pole and the bead (40 cm), and the hypotenuse is the length of the string (80 cm). Plugging these values into the formula, we get cosθ = 40/80 = 0.5. Using a calculator, we can find the inverse cosine (cos^-1) of 0.5 to get the unknown angle, which is 60 degrees.

Now that we have the unknown angle, we can use the formula F = ma to solve for the tension on the string. The mass of the bead is given as 100 g, which is equal to 0.1 kg. We can assume that the bead is moving at a constant speed, so the acceleration (a) is equal to 0. Using the formula, we get Tension = 0.1 x 0 = 0 N.

Therefore, in this scenario, the tension on the string is 0 N and the unknown angle is 60 degrees. We can also use these values to calculate the force acting on the bead and the pole, but that is beyond the scope of this response.

Related to Tension problem - bead sliding on a string attached to a pole

1. What is the tension problem?

The tension problem refers to a physics problem where a bead is sliding on a string that is attached to a pole. The goal is to determine the tension in the string at different points along the string's length.

2. How do you calculate tension in this problem?

To calculate the tension in this problem, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the tension in the string, and the acceleration is the centripetal acceleration of the bead.

3. What factors affect the tension in the string?

The tension in the string is affected by the mass of the bead, the speed at which it is sliding, and the radius of the circular motion it is following. Additionally, the length and material of the string may also play a role in determining the tension.

4. How does the tension change as the bead slides along the string?

The tension in the string will vary depending on the position of the bead along the string. As the bead moves closer to the pole, the tension will increase due to the shorter radius of the circular motion. As the bead moves away from the pole, the tension will decrease.

5. What real-life applications does this problem have?

The tension problem of a bead sliding on a string attached to a pole has many real-life applications, such as in engineering and design of pulley systems, roller coasters, and other mechanisms that involve circular motion. It can also be used to calculate the tension in cables and wires that are under tension, such as suspension bridges and power lines.