Force on a bead due to a rotating wire

In summary, the physical force acting on the bead is the force exerted by the rigid wire. Let's call this force ## \vec F_{ph} ##. Wrt. inertial frame,## \vec F_{ph} = ma_r \hat r + ma_{\theta} {\hat {\theta}} ##constant angular speed ω gives ##\ddot {\theta} = 0 ####a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 #### a_{\theta} = 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}} + r {\ddot {\theta}} = 2{
Pushoam

Homework Statement

A bead slides without friction on a horizontal rigid wire rotating at
constant angular speed ω. The problem is to find the force exerted on
the bead by the wire. Neglect gravity.
upload_2017-7-22_20-34-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The physical force acting on the bead is the force exerted by the rigid wire.Let's call this force ## \vec F_{ph} ##.
Wrt. inertial frame,
## \vec F_{ph} = m { a_r } {\hat r } + m { a_{\theta}} {\hat {\theta} }##

constant angular speed ω gives ## \ddot {\theta} = 0 ##
##a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##
## a_{\theta} = 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}} + r {\ddot {\theta}} = 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}} ##
So,
## \vec F_{ph} =## m( (## \ddot r - r { {\dot {\theta}}^2 }##) ## {\hat r} + 2 { \dot r } {\dot {\theta}} {\hat {\theta}} ## )

Is this correct?

Please, tell me where is the mistake in Latex code? I edited and corrected the code.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
The physical force acting on the bead is the force exerted by the rigid wire. Let's call this force ## \vec F_{ph} ## .
Wrt. inertial frame,
## \vec F_{ph} = ma_r \hat r + ma_{\theta} {\hat {\theta}} ##

constant angular speed ω gives ##\ddot {\theta} = 0 ##
##a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##
## a_{\theta} = 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}} + r {\ddot {\theta}} = 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}}##
So,
## \vec F_{ph}## = m ( ## (\ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 ) \hat r + 2{ \dot r }{\dot {\theta}} {\hat {\theta}}## )

Is this correct?
It's correct so far, but there's quite a bit more you can do that will lead to an explicit expression for the force as a function of time.

I corrected the Latex code.

Last edited:
TSny said:
there's quite a bit more you can do

I have no more information about ## \dot r ## or ## \ddot r##. So, what more could be done?

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
I have no more information about ## \dot r ## or ## \ddot r##. So, what more could be done?
The wire is frictionless.

TSny said:
The wire is frictionless.
This means that ##\vec F_{ph} ## has no component in the ## \hat r ## direction.

[ Earlier, I thought that there must be some force to provide ## \ddot r##. So, I was stuck. I often do this mistake. Thanks for pointing out that there is no friction. ]

So, ## a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0##
## \int_{t_i}^{t_f} \left ({\ddot r} - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 \right ) \, dt = 0 ##
##{\dot r}_f - {\dot r }_i = r \left (t_f - t_i \right ) {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##

Taking ## {\dot r }_i = t_i =0##

##{\dot r}_f = r t_f {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##

##{\dot r} = r t {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##

So,
## \vec F_{ph} = 2 m { \dot r } {\dot {\theta}} {\hat {\theta}} = 2 m r t {\dot {\theta}}^3 {\hat {\theta}}##

Is this correct?

I think the following step is wrong as r itself is a function ot t.

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
This means that ##\vec F_{ph} ## has no component in the ## \hat r ## direction.
So, ## a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0##
Yes. Can you solve this differential equation?
## \int_{t_i}^{t_f} \left ({\ddot r} - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 \right ) \, dt = 0 ##
You treated ##r## as constant when integrating ##r {\dot {\theta}}^2##. But ##r## is some function of time that you are trying to find.

## a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0 ##
## \frac{d{\dot r}} {dt} = \frac {d{\dot r}}{dr} \frac {dr} {dt} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##
##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr} ##
Integrating both sides with limit ## \dot r ## → 0 to ## \dot r ## and r →0 to r
## \frac {{\dot r}^2} 2 = \frac {r^2 {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }{2} ##
## \dot r = r \dot {\theta}##

Is this correct so far?

## \vec F_{ph} = 2 m { \dot r } {\dot {\theta}} {\hat {\theta}} = 2 m r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {\hat {\theta}}##

Last edited:
TSny said:
It's correct so far, but there's quite a bit more you can do that will lead to an explicit expression for the force as a function of time.
The question doesn't say to express the force as a function of time?
So, how do you get to know beforehand that the force should be expressed as a function of time?
Is it because the only one independent variable in this problem is time?

Pushoam said:
The question doesn't say to express the force as a function of time?
So, how do you get to know beforehand that the force should be expressed as a function of time?
Is it because the only one independent variable in this problem is time?
We cannot tell if you posted the whole problem as given to you.
Clearly the force will depend on r and r will depend on t. Is there any hint as to whether you are to find the force as a function of r or of t (or...)?

haruspex said:
We cannot tell if you posted the whole problem as given to you.
Clearly the force will depend on r and r will depend on t. Is there any hint as to whether you are to find the force as a function of r or of t (or...)?

Actually , this is an example given in the book. But, I wonder how can one know that the force will depend on r before calculating it?

To solve the same question w.r.t. wire frame i.e. non- inertial frame,

we have,
## \vec F_{n-in }= \vec F_{ph} + \vec F_{pseudo} ##

where ## \vec F_{n-in }## is net force acting on the system measured wrt. the non - inertial frame
## \vec F_{ph }## is the net physical force acting on the system measured wrt. the inertial frame
## \vec F_{pseudo }## is pseudo force acting on the system

Here,
## \vec F_{ph }## is the contact force exerted by the wire on the bead
## \vec F_{n-in } = m \vec a_{n-in }##
## \vec a_{n-in } = \ddot r {\hat r}##
In this frame, the bead is moving along one direction. Now, How to specify this direction? Should I say that ## \hat r ## is constant here?

## \vec F_{pseudo } = -m \vec \omega \times \vec \omega \times \vec r - 2 m \vec \omega \times \vec v_{n-in}##

where ## \vec \omega ## is the angular velocity with which the non -inertial frame (here wire) is rotating
##\vec v_{n-in} ## is the velocity of the system wrt. non-inertial frame
Here, ##\vec v_{n-in} = \dot r \hat r ##

So, now using ## \vec F_{n-in }= \vec F_{ph} + \vec F_{pseudo} ## we have,

## m \ddot r~ {\hat r} = \vec F_{ph} - m \vec \omega \times \vec \omega \times \vec r - 2 m \vec \omega \times\dot r \hat r ##
## m \ddot r~ {\hat r} = \vec F_{ph} + m { \omega }^2 r~ \hat r - 2 m \omega \dot r~ \hat \theta ##

From the above equation, it's clear that ## \vec F_{ph}## can have components only in ##\hat r## or ##\hat \theta ## direction.
## \vec F_{ph} ## is a contact force. Its component in ## \hat r ## direction is known as friction. And it's given that friction is 0. Thus, the direction of ## \vec F_{ph} ## is known from the equation of motion.
So, we have ## \vec F_{ph} = 2 m \omega \dot r \hat \theta ##

Considering eqn. of motion in ## \hat r ## direction, we have the following differential equation,
## \ddot r = { \omega }^2 r ##

now , follow post # 8.

Last edited:
Pushoam said:

Is this correct so far?
Looks ok.
Now solve that to get r as a function of theta (and hence of t).

haruspex said:
Looks ok.
Now solve that to get r as a function of theta (and hence of t).

##\dot r = r\dot \theta ##
##\frac {dr} {dt} =r \frac {d \theta} {dt} ##
Integrating both sides wrt t,
##\int \frac 1 r \frac {dr} {dt} \, dt =\int \frac {d \theta} {dt} \, dt ##
## \ln r = \theta + C ##
## r =A~ e^{\theta} = A~ e^{\omega t} ##

##\vec F_{ph} = 2 m { \dot r } {\dot {\theta}} {\hat {\theta}} = 2 m \omega ^2 ~ A e^{\omega t} ~{\hat {\theta}} ##

Pushoam said:
In this frame, the bead is moving along one direction. Now, How to specify this direction? Should I say that ## \hat r## is constant here?
What about this?

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
## a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0 ##
## \frac{d{\dot r}} {dt} = \frac {d{\dot r}}{dr} \frac {dr} {dt} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 ##
##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr} ##
OK.
Integrating both sides with limit ## \dot r ## → 0 to ## \dot r ## and r →0 to r
## \frac {{\dot r}^2} 2 = \frac {r^2 {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }{2} ##
This is not generally true. When you integrated, your lower limits imply that ##\dot r = 0## at ##r = 0##. But this was not given in the problem as either an initial condition or a boundary condition. (If the particle starts at ##r = 0## with ##\dot r = 0## then it would remain at rest there.)

Whether you want the force as a function of ##t## or as a function of ##r##, the answer will depend on initial conditions (or boundary conditions).

TSny said:
This is not generally true. When you integrated, your lower limits imply that ##\dot r = 0 ##at r=0. But this was not given in the problem as either an initial condition or a boundary condition. (If the particle starts at r = 0 with ## \dot r = 0 ## then it would remain at rest there.)

Yes, what I did is wrong.
## a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0##
The initial condition which I took makes ar 0.
Hence, If the particle starts at r = 0 with ##\dot r = 0 ## then it would remain at rest there wrt. the wire frame.

##a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0 ##
##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr}##
Integrating both sides with limit ## \dot r ##→ vi to ##\dot r ##and r →ri to r,
## \frac {\{{\dot r}^2 - v_i^2\}} 2 = \frac {\{r^2 - r_i^2 \} {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }{2} ##
## \dot r = \sqrt{ \frac {v_i^2} 2 + \frac {\{r^2 - r_i^2 \} {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }{2} } ##

Is this correct so far?

But, then, I don't get r(t) as an exponential function of t.

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
##a_r = \ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0 ##
##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr}##
Integrating both sides with limit ## \dot r ##→ vi to ##\dot r ##and r →ri to r,
## \frac {\{{\dot r}^2 - v_i^2\}} 2 = \frac {\{r^2 - r_i^2 \} {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }{2} ##
Yes. Note the 2's will cancel.

But, then, I don't get r(t) as an exponential function of t.
If you want ##r## as a function of time, go back to the differential equation

##\ddot r - r {\dot {\theta}}^2 = 0##

or

##\ddot r - \omega^2 r = 0##

This is a second order differential equation for ##r(t)##. If you have studied differential equations,you should find this equation to be easy to solve

TSny said:
Note the 2's will cancel.
So,##\dot r = \sqrt{ {v_i^2} + {\{r^2 - r_i^2 \} {{\dot {\theta}}^2} }}##
##\frac {dr} {dt} =\dot \theta \sqrt{c^2 + r^2} ##, where ## c^2 = \frac {{v_i}^2} {{\dot \theta}^2} -{ r_i}^2 ##
Integrating both sides wrt t gives,
##\int_{r_i} ^{r_f}\frac 1 {\sqrt{c^2 + r^2} } \, dr = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} \dot \theta\, dt ##
## \frac {r_f} {\sqrt {{r_f}^2 + c^2} } - \frac {r_i} {\sqrt {{r_i}^2 + c^2} } =\dot \theta \{ t_f - t_i\}##

Is this correct so far?
Taking c2 =0 and ri=0, I should get the old result. But I don't get so. So, is there anything wrong here?

Last edited:
If you want ##r(t)##, it will be much easier to solve ##\ddot r - \omega^2 r= 0## directly rather than using ##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr}##.

TSny said:
If you want ##r(t)##, it will be much easier to solve ##\ddot r - \omega^2 r= 0## directly rather than using ##\dot r {d{\dot r}} = r {\dot {\theta}}^2 {dr}##.
Yes, that I know. But, I want to know : is there anything wrong with the way I am solving it here?

Pushoam said:
Yes, that I know. But, I want to know : is there anything wrong with the way I am solving it here?
No, it should work. But you haven't integrated correctly in post #18.

##\int_{r_i} ^{r_f}\frac 1 {\sqrt{c^2 + r^2} } \, dr = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} \dot \theta\, dt ##
##\int_{r_i} ^{r_f}\frac 1 {\sqrt{c^2 + r^2} } \, dr = I##
Taking ## r = c~ {\tan\alpha}##
##\frac {dr}{d \alpha} =c ~ {\sec ^2 \alpha} ##
## dr ={ {\sec ^2 \alpha}}~ d \alpha ##
## \int_{r_i} ^{r_f} { \frac 1 {\sqrt{c^2 + r^2} } } \, dr = \int_{\alpha_i} ^{\alpha_f} { \frac {c~ {\sec^2 \alpha} } {c ~\sec \alpha }} \, d \alpha ##
## = \int_{\alpha_i} ^{\alpha_f} \sec \alpha \, d \alpha =
\ln \{\sec \alpha + \tan \alpha\}|_{\alpha_i} ^{\alpha_f} ##

## = \ln { \frac {\frac { {\sqrt{c^2 + r_f^2} } + r_f} c } {\frac { {\sqrt{c^2 + r_i^2} } + r_i} c } }##

## \ln {\frac { {\sqrt{c^2 + r_f^2} } + r_f} { {\sqrt{c^2 + r_i^2} } + r_i}} = \dot \theta\{ t_f - t_i\} ##

## { {\sqrt{c^2 + r_f^2} } + r_f} = D e^{ \dot \theta { t_f}} ## , where D is an appropriate constant
## {\sqrt{c^2 + r_f^2} } = D e^{ \dot \theta { t_f } } - r_f ##
On squaring both sides,
## r_f ^2 + c^2 = G e^{ 2 \dot \theta { t_f } } + r_f^2 - 2 r_f D e^{ \dot \theta{ t_f } }##
## r_f = H e^{ - \dot \theta { t_f } } + G e^{ \dot \theta{ t_f } } ## where c,G,H are appropriate constants.

Last edited:
OK. It looks good to me.

Thanks.
It's done.

Related to Force on a bead due to a rotating wire

1. What is the force on a bead due to a rotating wire?

The force on a bead due to a rotating wire is known as the centripetal force. It is the force that pulls the bead towards the center of the wire's circular path.

2. How is the force on a bead calculated?

The force on a bead can be calculated using the formula F = mrω^2, where m is the mass of the bead, r is the radius of the wire, and ω is the angular velocity of the rotating wire.

3. Does the force on the bead change if the wire's speed changes?

Yes, the force on the bead will change if the wire's speed changes. The force is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity, so an increase or decrease in speed will result in a corresponding increase or decrease in force.

4. How does the angle of the wire affect the force on the bead?

The angle of the wire does not affect the force on the bead. As long as the wire is rotating at a constant speed, the force will remain the same regardless of the angle.

5. Can the force on the bead cause it to move in a straight line?

No, the force on the bead will always act towards the center of the wire's circular path, causing the bead to move in a circular motion. Only if the force is removed or balanced by another force can the bead move in a straight line.