Tension on a pullstring walker

• Thread starter MGCLO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves a pullstring walker connected to two mountain sides at a 10 degree angle. The walker has a mass of 50 KG and the task is to find the tension of the string. Setting up Newton's 2nd law results in a useless equation, so geometry is used to solve for the tension. The correct answer is 49.24 N.
MGCLO
here is how the problem looks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2d0j4wg.png

a pullstring walker is in the middle of a string that is connected to two mountain sides. the string formes an angle of 10 degrees under the horizontal. the walker has a mass of 50 KG. find the tension of the string

any idea how to start with this one.if i set up Newton 2nd law i get FG-FT+FT= 0
which is useless because FT will cancel out.

Physics news on Phys.org
when i do the geometry i get an unreasonable answer of

cosθ= adjacent/hyp
cos10= 50/ hyp
hyp=50/ cos10
hyp = 49.24 N.
is that correct?

i did it wrong last time. i believe this is correct. answer is reasonable this time!

Related to Tension on a pullstring walker

1. What is a pullstring walker?

A pullstring walker is a type of walking toy that utilizes a pullstring mechanism to move forward. When the string is pulled, tension is created, causing the toy to walk.

2. How does tension affect the movement of a pullstring walker?

Tension is necessary for the pullstring walker to move forward. When the string is pulled, tension is created which causes the legs or wheels of the toy to move and propel the toy forward. The amount of tension can also affect the speed and distance the toy travels.

3. What happens if there is too much tension on a pullstring walker?

If there is too much tension on a pullstring walker, it can cause the toy to move too quickly or even break. The tension should be adjusted to a level that allows the toy to move smoothly without causing damage.

4. How can the tension on a pullstring walker be adjusted?

The tension on a pullstring walker can be adjusted by either tightening or loosening the string. If the toy is moving too quickly, the tension can be reduced by loosening the string. If the toy is not moving enough, the tension can be increased by tightening the string.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a pullstring walker?

Yes, it is important to supervise young children while they are playing with a pullstring walker to ensure they do not become tangled in the string. It is also important to make sure the toy is used on a flat and smooth surface to prevent any accidents or injuries.