Equilibrium Process for Calculating Tension in a Tight-Rope Walker's Wire

In summary, the problem involves a tight-rope walker carrying a beam across a 10 m long wire while at the center of the wire, each section of the wire makes an angle of 5° to the horizontal. The question asks for the tension within the wire, assuming the mass of the wire is negligible. The attempted solution involves using the sum of forces and the equations for tension and sine, but the answer of 506 N may be incorrect as it does not account for the vertical component of the tension. The assumption of a 45° angle and the use of length in the calculations may also be incorrect.
barbiegirl42

Homework Statement

A 60 kg tight-rope walker carries a long beam with
a mass of 30 kg across a 10 m long wire. When
she is at the centre of the wire (i.e. 5 m across),
each section of the wire makes an angle of 5° to
the horizontal. Assuming that the mass of the wire
is negligible, calculate the tension within it.

I would like to know if my process is right. I took forever just trying to figure out the problem and would like to verify that my process is correct or if there any omissions I may have left out.

Homework Equations

T=rf
Sum of the forces = 0
Sin=0 / H

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of the forces = 0
F(Tightrope walker) + F(Beam) = F(Tension in one half of the rope) + F(Tension in the other half)
(60x9.8) + (30x9.8) = F(T1) + F(T2)
822=F(T1) + F(T2)

882 / (2 x Sin5 x 5)
= 1011.98
1011.98 / 2
= 505.98
= 506 N <~ My answer is right, I checked in the answers section from the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
barbiegirl42 said:
F(Tightrope walker) + F(Beam) = F(Tension in one half of the rope) + F(Tension in the other half)

The tension in the rope is what you are searching for, but here you are only interested in the vertical component of the tension.

barbiegirl42 said:
882 / (2 x Sin5 x 5)
= 1011.98
1011.98 / 2
= 505.98
This is unclear. What are you computing? Where does the 5 come from in the first line? Where does the second division by two come from?

barbiegirl42 said:
= 506 N <~ My answer is right, I checked in the answers section from the book.
You can check whether this is reasonable or not. With this answer, the total upward force on the walker+beam would be less than their gravitation even if the angle was 45 degrees ... 2*506/sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)*506 < 882.

Orodruin said:
The tension in the rope is what you are searching for, but here you are only interested in the vertical component of the tension.This is unclear. What are you computing? Where does the 5 come from in the first line? Where does the second division by two come from?You can check whether this is reasonable or not. With this answer, the total upward force on the walker+beam would be less than their gravitation even if the angle was 45 degrees ... 2*506/sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)*506 < 882.
Well the Sin5 is the 5 degree angle to the horizontal and second 5 is the distance of 5m since the tightrope walker is 5m across thus you get the distance from the pivot point. Well I was thinking that the weight force would be half as in the adjacent side = F/2 and well the answer is 506 so when going backwards, I'm thinking the question is asking what is the tension in each section maybe? It just seemed to work when I divided the answer by two. I don't get what you mean by the first and third part. Please explain a bit more detailed.

barbiegirl42 said:
second 5 is the distance of 5m since the tightrope walker is 5m across thus you get the distance from the pivot point.
This has nothing to do with the tension in the rope. You are computing a force, not a torque.

If you assumed the angle to be 45 degrees instead, the tension of 506 N in each rope would result in an upward force of 506 N * sin(45) = 506 N/sqrt(2) on the walker+beam. This would give a total upward force of less than the weight of walker+beam - even if the angle was much larger than 5 degrees. The conclusion is that your tension must be larger.

why
Orodruin said:
This has nothing to do with the tension in the rope. You are computing a force, not a torque.

If you assumed the angle to be 45 degrees instead, the tension of 506 N in each rope would result in an upward force of 506 N * sin(45) = 506 N/sqrt(2) on the walker+beam. This would give a total upward force of less than the weight of walker+beam - even if the angle was much larger than 5 degrees. The conclusion is that your tension must be larger.

why would assume the angle to be 45 degrees? and where would I get this assumption from?
and why are you dividing by the square root of 2 in the formula? I never learned that aspect in any calculations I did. Through all the examples in the book, the distance was always times by either the sin or the cos of the angle which makes sense and you need the length really. Why should my tension be larger though? <<Mentor note: Edited to remove part in all caps>> I learned in Physics that if you over complicate things then it makes it worse and that simple is the way to go. Overcomplicating gets you no where from what learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
barbiegirl42 said:
why would assume the angle to be 45 degrees? and where would I get this assumption from?
It is a simple assumption to test the validity of the answer. It is not related to your problem in any other way than showing that even when a larger portion of the tension is giving a force in the vertical direction, the quoted tension is too small.

barbiegirl42 said:
Through all the examples in the book, the distance was always times by either the sin or the cos of the angle which makes sense and you need the length really

No, the length here is an irrelevant piece of information. If you involve it the way you have, your answer will have units of N/m instead of N and thus not be a tension.

If you have a force T acting in a direction of 5 degrees from the horizontal, what is its vertical component?

Here is what my physics book says in two examples. As you can see, I used the examples as examples as to what I should do when I calculate the answer to this question. This is what I learned from the book and it made sense to me so I used some parts they did such as using the sin rule to calculate other things.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    7.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    66.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    73.6 KB · Views: 409
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    67.5 KB · Views: 458
Orodruin said:
It is a simple assumption to test the validity of the answer. It is not related to your problem in any other way than showing that even when a larger portion of the tension is giving a force in the vertical direction, the quoted tension is too small.
No, the length here is an irrelevant piece of information. If you involve it the way you have, your answer will have units of N/m instead of N and thus not be a tension.

If you have a force T acting in a direction of 5 degrees from the horizontal, what is its vertical component?

But I'm not finding the vertical component of the tension neither the horizontal, I'm finding the tension along the wire. Why test the validity of the answer though. I would assume in a printed book that looks pretty valid to me that the answer would be right. I already know the force downwards don't I? It doesn't ask for the vertical component, it ask for the tension which is acting along an angle.

barbiegirl42 said:
But I'm not finding the vertical component of the tension neither the horizontal, I'm finding the tension along the wire.

Yes, the tension along the wire is related to its vertical component through the sine of the angle and must equal to the weight of walker+beam. Thus, to find the tension you first find the vertical component and then relate this to the full tension with the sine.

barbiegirl42 said:
I would assume in a printed book that looks pretty valid to me that the answer would be right.
Even if this is often the case, books are often full of misprints and mistakes. Just the other day I discovered a factual error in the seventh edition of one of the more well regarded books on mathematical methods in physics.

Also, in the images you linked, they are not using anything in a way different from what I have told you. In the hanging sign you are not even given the length of the ropes. The triangle there is a force triangle.

I managed to find the worked answers. You were right in not including the length. I only got mixed up with the dividing. Now I see that you first divide by 2 then divide by sin 5

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    31.3 KB · Views: 403
So from the last line of that solution it is quite apparent that there is an arithmetic error. If it would be correct, then ##\sin(5^\circ) = 4.41/5.06##, which obviously is not the case (it is 0.087, not 0.87). The answer is off by a factor 10.

Related to Equilibrium Process for Calculating Tension in a Tight-Rope Walker's Wire

1. What is an equilibrium process?

An equilibrium process is a chemical reaction that occurs when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium achieved?

Equilibrium is achieved when there is no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products. This can be achieved by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the reactants or products.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium process?

The equilibrium process is affected by temperature, pressure, and concentration. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium towards either the reactants or products.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that any change in the conditions of a chemical reaction at equilibrium will result in a shift to counteract the change and restore equilibrium. This principle is often used to predict the direction of the shift in equilibrium.

5. Can the equilibrium constant be changed?

The equilibrium constant, represented by K, is a fixed value for a particular reaction at a specific temperature. It cannot be changed, but it can be affected by changes in temperature or pressure. The value of K determines the position of equilibrium and whether the reactants or products are favored.