Tension in vertical circular motion

In summary: I believe with a chain you have to move your hand in some sort of elliptical path to maintain constant speed throughout. Poorly worded question if you ask me.In summary, the conversation discusses the tension on an object spinning in a vertical circular motion at a given rpm and radius. The formula for string tension and the average velocity are mentioned, and the possibility of a constant velocity is considered. The concept of conservation of energy is brought up, and the formula for centripetal force is mentioned. The final answers for the tension at different points on the circular path are given, with the caveat that the problem may be poorly worded and may require additional assumptions.
joel amos

Homework Statement

If you are spinning an object of mass 3.25 kg on a 0.8 m long chain at 20 rpm (vertical cirular motion), a) what is the tension at the top b) 43° from the top and c) at the bottom?

Homework Equations

String tension: T = Fc - mg cosθ
Tension at top: T = (mv^2/r) - mg
Tension at bottom: T = mv^2/r + mg
Average velocity: v = r × RPM × 0.10472

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the average velocity given the rpm, which is 1.58 m/s. I have all of the tension formulas that I need. The only problem is that I don't know how to find velocity for a given point on the circular path.
Or...should I just assume that the object is being spun at a constant velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
joel amos said:

Homework Statement

If you are spinning an object of mass 3.25 kg on a 0.8 m long chain at 20 rpm (vertical cirular motion), a) what is the tension at the top b) 43° from the top and c) at the bottom?

Homework Equations

String tension: T = Fc - mg cosθ
Tension at top: T = (mv^2/r) - mg
Tension at bottom: T = mv^2/r + mg
Average velocity: v = r × RPM × 0.10472

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the average velocity given the rpm, which is 1.58 m/s. I have all of the tension formulas that I need. The only problem is that I don't know how to find velocity for a given point on the circular path.
Or...should I just assume that the object is being spun at a constant velocity?
The rpm is given as a constant. The radius is constant, so is the speed. ehild

It does not have to be a constant velocity does it?
I think that has to go by context - it could well be that you are supposed to do all this with the constant average speed.

[ehild will probably tell me off for this ...]
... but don't you have conservation of energy to give you some limits on what v can be at the top - given the rpm? i.e. there is a minimum speed it has to be going to stay on a circular path ... but if it goes too fast at the top (slowest part of the trajectory?) then it will complete a circle in less than the 3 seconds needed for 20rpm.

(A constant rpm may imply a constant angular velocity or it could imply that you have 20 cycles in each minute - i.e. it is an average.
I think this is a judgement call.)

aside:
"##v = r \times RPM \times 0.10472##" is better written as :
##v=r\omega_{[rpm]}\pi/30## ... says you know what the numbers mean.
(It sounds pedantic but this sort of thing is worth marks.)

Yeah, I guess I'll just assume that velocity is constant.
Now for part b) T = Fc - (3.25 kg)(9.8m/s/s) cos(43)
How do I find centripetal force in this situation?

joel amos said:
Yeah, I guess I'll just assume that velocity is constant.
Now for part b) T = Fc - (3.25 kg)(9.8m/s/s) cos(43)
How do I find centripetal force in this situation?

How do you get the centripetal force in general?

ehild

Simon Bridge said:
It does not have to be a constant velocity does it?
I think that has to go by context - it could well be that you are supposed to do all this with the constant average speed.

[ehild will probably tell me off for this ...]
... but don't you have conservation of energy to give you some limits on what v can be at the top - given the rpm?

It would be a nice problem to find the speed along the circle assuming conservation of energy, so the object makes a certain revolutions per minute.
The problem does not say that the object spins by itself. There can be some external torque to make it spin with uniform angular velocity.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
There can be some external torque to make it spin with uniform angular velocity.
ehild

Exactly

ehild said:
How do you get the centripetal force in general?
ehild

Yeah, it was a stupid question: Fc = (mv^2)/r

joel amos said:
Yeah, it was a stupid question: Fc = (mv^2)/r

Exactly :smile:

ehild

I got tension at top to be -20.384 N, at 43° to be -11.83 N, and at bottom to be 43.32 N. Does this look good?

joel amos said:
I got tension at top to be -20.384 N, at 43° to be -11.83 N, and at bottom to be 43.32 N. Does this look good?
You don't really need the -signs.
As for the answers, generally speaking, tension is always greater at the bottom of a rotation (I think) due to gravitational potential energy being converted into kinetic energy - judging from this, I would say your answers are right.

But is it possible to spin that object with a chain at so low rpm? Will it not fall on your head?

ehild

ehild said:
It would be a nice problem to find the speed along the circle assuming conservation of energy, so the object makes a certain revolutions per minute.
The problem does not say that the object spins by itself. There can be some external torque to make it spin with uniform angular velocity.

ehild
It does turn it into a "how do you handle the un-spoken assumptions?" problem, yes.

Well, that means push instead of pull except the bottom point. Can a chain push? Or will that object fall on your head?
But if the object is fixed to a rod, it looks correct.

ehild

Pretty tough to spin an object at constant speed in a vertical circle using a chain. I mean this is not a ferris wheel where a constant speed can be maintained with an external torque. I believe with a chain you have to move your hand in some sort of elliptical path to maintain constant speed throughout. Poorly worded question if you ask me.

PhanthomJay said:
Pretty tough to spin an object at constant speed in a vertical circle using a chain. I mean this is not a ferris wheel where a constant speed can be maintained with an external torque. I believe with a chain you have to move your hand in some sort of elliptical path to maintain constant speed throughout. Poorly worded question if you ask me.

I agree.

ehild

Related to Tension in vertical circular motion

1. What is tension in vertical circular motion?

Tension in vertical circular motion is the force that acts on an object as it moves along a curved path in a vertical direction. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is tension related to centripetal force in vertical circular motion?

Tension is directly related to centripetal force in vertical circular motion. The centripetal force is the net force acting on an object moving in a circular path, and tension is one of the forces that contributes to this net force. In fact, tension is often the only force acting in the vertical direction, making it crucial for maintaining the circular motion.

3. Does tension change in vertical circular motion?

Yes, tension changes in vertical circular motion. As the object moves along the curved path, the direction of the tension force also changes, as it is always directed towards the center of the circle. This results in a change in the magnitude of tension, as it needs to be strong enough to overcome the force of gravity and keep the object in its circular path.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the tension in vertical circular motion?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the tension in vertical circular motion. However, the mass does play a role in determining the centripetal force required to keep the object in its circular path. As the mass increases, so does the centripetal force, which in turn increases the tension needed to maintain the circular motion.

5. Can tension ever be greater than the weight of the object in vertical circular motion?

Yes, tension can be greater than the weight of the object in vertical circular motion. This is because the tension force is not only responsible for countering the weight of the object, but also for providing the centripetal force required for the circular motion. As such, the tension force can be greater than the weight of the object in order to maintain the circular motion.