Tension Forces and rubber bands

In summary, the conversation revolved around working with tension forces and applying different masses to objects such as strings and rubber bands. The main question posed was what a rubber band needs to do in order to pull back. The consensus was that the rubber band must be stretched or have an increase in tension in order to pull back. Another question was about the change that takes place in a surface in order to push back, with the answer being that energy is converted from internal to mechanical in the process.
NIZBIT
I am doing some work with tension forces and applying different masses to different items like strings. We did some things with rubber bands too. I am having trouble with one of the questions posed.

"In general, in order for a rubber band to pull back, what does it have to do?"

I want to say there is nothing the rubber band could do. It was made that way. So I guess they're asking that if the tension of the rubber band increased it would pull back more? Or that for a rubber band to pull back it must be strecthed?

Physics news on Phys.org
NIZBIT said:
I am doing some work with tension forces and applying different masses to different items like strings. We did some things with rubber bands too. I am having trouble with one of the questions posed.

"In general, in order for a rubber band to pull back, what does it have to do?"

I want to say there is nothing the rubber band could do. It was made that way. So I guess they're asking that if the tension of the rubber band increased it would pull back more? Or that for a rubber band to pull back it must be strecthed?

A rubber band behaves elastic up to some point.

This has me stumped:

"What change takes place in a surface so it can push back?"

When a force displaces an object through a certain distance energy is expended by the person/machine or whatever exerts the force. Usually internal energy is converted to mechanical energy with such a process. We find the same situation when an eleastic is stretched - it needs to convert internal energy to mechanical energy in order to pull back on whatever is extending it. You can actually notice such a temperature increase of an elastic as a result of such a process. Try to feel the difference in temperature of an elastic on your lips before and after stretching it.

Related to Tension Forces and rubber bands

1. What is a tension force?

A tension force is a pulling force that occurs when an object is stretched or pulled. It is a type of mechanical force that acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, causing an object to resist being pulled apart.

2. How does a rubber band create tension?

A rubber band creates tension by stretching its elastic material when it is pulled. This stretching creates potential energy within the rubber band, which causes it to exert a pulling force in the opposite direction of the applied force.

3. What factors affect the tension force of a rubber band?

The tension force of a rubber band is affected by its length, thickness, and elasticity. The longer the rubber band, the more tension it can create. Thicker rubber bands also have more tension than thinner ones. Additionally, the more elastic a rubber band is, the more tension it can produce.

4. How does temperature affect the tension force of a rubber band?

Temperature can affect the tension force of a rubber band by changing its elasticity. When a rubber band is heated, it becomes more elastic and can create more tension. On the other hand, when a rubber band is cooled, it becomes less elastic and produces less tension.

5. What are some real-life applications of tension forces and rubber bands?

Tension forces and rubber bands have many practical uses in our daily lives. Some examples include using rubber bands to hold things together, such as bundles of pencils or papers. They are also used in slingshots, catapults, and other toys that rely on tension to launch objects. In engineering, tension forces are used in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures to distribute weight and withstand forces such as wind and earthquakes.