Im back, and with a question about spring force

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of k (spring constant) for a rubber band using the equation k=F/x. The person has calculated a value of 6.24 N/m but is unsure if it seems too large. They also ask if the value of k will remain the same for different weights and forces. The expert explains that the unit for force is Newton (N) and that the value is not too large. They also mention that the value of k may change with heavier loads. A resource is provided for further information.
Yellowkies_3275

Homework Statement

I feel like my numbers are wrong so I just had a general question

what is a typical value for k (spring constant) for a rubber band

assuming in this case that k=F/x is an equation that works for rubber bands

because the number i got...idk it seems rather large

Homework Equations

k=F/x

The Attempt at a Solution

so I was doing research and I determined the best way to find k when F and k are unknown is too welp just you know, take my rubber band and hang an ubject with a known weight from it and measure the displacement to use as my x the weight becoming my F

so I got an object with a weight of 0.362 kg

and hung it from the rubber band and I measured the displacement to be 0.058 m

so like using them science things my k should be

6.24 N/m right?

but doesn't this number seem large? or is it just me?

and an even more unfortunately pathetic question:

so like this number is like a ratio right so like if i have a different weight or force my k would still be the same right because the ratio between the force and displacement would be the same right? idk help me I am going to fail physics

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yellowkies_3275 said:

Homework Statement

I feel like my numbers are wrong so I just had a general question

what is a typical value for k (spring constant) for a rubber band

assuming in this case that k=F/x is an equation that works for rubber bands

because the number i got...idk it seems rather large

Homework Equations

k=F/x

The Attempt at a Solution

so I was doing research and I determined the best way to find k when F and k are unknown is too welp just you know, take my rubber band and hang an ubject with a known weight from it and measure the displacement to use as my x the weight becoming my F

so I got an object with a weight of 0.362 kg

kg is the unit of mass. The force acting on the object of m=.362 kg is W=mg (N)

Yellowkies_3275 said:
and hung it from the rubber band and I measured the displacement to be 0.058 m

so like using them science things my k should be

6.24 N/m right?

but doesn't this number seem large? or is it just me?
No, it is not to large.

Yellowkies_3275 said:
and an even more unfortunately pathetic question:

so like this number is like a ratio right so like if i have a different weight or force my k would still be the same right because the ratio between the force and displacement would be the same right? idk help me I am going to fail physics
Yes, it should be the same in ideal case, when the weight is not too large. With heavier load, the rubber band does not behave according to Hook's Law.
http://c21.phas.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/rubber_band_write_up.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Yellowkies_3275
ehild said:
kg is the unit of mass. The force acting on the object of m=.362 kg is W=mg (N) No, it is not to large.

Yes, it should be the same in ideal case, when the weight is not too large. With heavier load, the rubber band does not behave according to Hook's Law.
http://c21.phas.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/rubber_band_write_up.pdf
thank you so so much :D

You are welcome :)

Likes Yellowkies_3275

Related to Im back, and with a question about spring force

1. What is spring force?

Spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is compressed or stretched. It is a restorative force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

2. How is spring force calculated?

The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F represents the force, k represents the spring constant, and x represents the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect spring force?

The spring force is affected by the spring constant, the displacement of the spring, and the direction in which the spring is compressed or stretched.

4. How is spring force related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. This is represented in the formula F = -kx, where k is the spring constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of spring force?

Spring force is used in various applications, such as in car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It is also utilized in engineering designs, such as in buildings and bridges, to provide stability and absorb external forces.