Tension Force (should be easy)

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of block A, given the weights of both blocks and the fact that the surfaces are smooth. The equations used are F=ma and T=(M_B)a, but the answer obtained may be incorrect due to incorrect signage and unit conversion. Further clarification on the setup may be needed.
Angry Citizen

Homework Statement

The weights of the blocks are W_A = 120 lb and W_B = 20 lb, and the surfaces are smooth. Find the acceleration of block A.

[A picture is shown. Block A is connected via rod to a pulley, and Block B is hanging from the pulley via cord.]

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is embarrassing. I feel like I'm having a brain fart. I did free body diagrams showing that T-W_B=(M_A)a, and that T=(M_B)a, and substituted them into equations, but the book says it's the wrong answer; I should be getting 4.02 ft/s^2, but I'm getting something different. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You ll have to attach the pic or better describe the setup. 3 pulleys? What side is rod connected? How many ropes?

Here you go.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 353
I don't know what answer you are getting, but your signage is wrong when looking at
Block B. also make sure your mass unit are in slugs.

Edit: you also used M_B in your second equation when you should have used M_A.

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a clear and logical mindset. It seems like you have already attempted to solve the problem using free body diagrams and the equation F=ma. However, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. In this case, the weights of the blocks are given in pounds, but the equation F=ma requires the use of mass in kilograms. Make sure to convert the weights to mass before solving for acceleration. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a more detailed free body diagram, including all the forces acting on each block, to ensure that you are considering all the forces in your calculations. Remember to also consider the direction of the acceleration and the signs of the forces. I would recommend going through your calculations step by step and checking for any errors or missing factors. With a careful and systematic approach, I am confident that you will be able to solve this problem and arrive at the correct answer.

Related to Tension Force (should be easy)

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched, causing it to become longer or thinner.

2. How is tension force different from compression force?

Tension force is a pulling force, while compression force is a pushing force. In tension force, the object is stretched, while in compression force, the object is compressed or squeezed.

3. What factors affect tension force?

The amount of tension force depends on the magnitude of the external force applied, the material properties of the object, and the length and cross-sectional area of the object.

4. Can tension force cause an object to break?

Yes, if the tension force applied is greater than the tensile strength of the object, it can cause the object to break.

5. How is tension force measured?

Tension force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) using a force meter or a spring scale.