Tension/compression spring thing

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: This is great, thank you. That is exactly the solution we are looking for. Does this type of spring assembly have a name? I could probably manufacture one pretty easily, but purchasing one would be a much faster option.Unfortunately it is the type of mechanism that is simply built into a product rather than purchased off the shelf to be bolted on.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Hello folks,

I'm trying to find a spring that can act in both tension and compression, and return to a neutral (or zero) location when released.
What I'm thinking of is basically a shock, but without the damper. It needs to be a nearly instantaneous return. Google search is giving me nothing but automotive shocks, and I can't find any type of combination spring.

Anybody willing to throw me a few search terms for products? It's probably something simple, but I'm at a loss. It also needs to be fairly small. Maybe 1 to 1.5 inches of throw in each direction, and no more than 30lbf.

Thanks,
Mac

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two springs in series pre-tensioned . Fix at the ends and apply load at the centre connection .

Actually a single spring will do what you want if you arrange a proper connection at the active end and put it in a tube to keep it stable .

Last edited:
Likes MacLaddy
MacLaddy said:
It needs to be a nearly instantaneous return
What is the force application like? If the force is applied and then released, the spring will oscillate about its resting length. It seems like you would want some critical damping mechanism to engage when the force is released, and then disengage once the spring is back at its equilibrium length...

Nidum said:
Two springs in series pre-tensioned . Fix at the ends and apply load at the centre connection .

Actually a single spring will do what you want if you arrange a proper connection at the active end and put it in a tube to keep it stable .

That isn't a bad idea. Perhaps just a piece of PVC tube? I'm going to assume that it would be nonlinear?

berkeman said:
What is the force application like? If the force is applied and then released, the spring will oscillate about its resting length. It seems like you would want some critical damping mechanism to engage when the force is released, and then disengage once the spring is back at its equilibrium length...

The force ultimately is to return a leverset to the neutral position. The lever pushes and pulls, so I imagine it would oscillate some. There will be a motor attached in series with the spring resisting the motion, so I imagine it would act like a damper. However, if you know of any shock/damper...well...shocks, that can achieve what I am looking for, then I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Mac

Here is a design for a bi-directional, linear, shock limiter.
The force needed to start moving is set by the zero length of the compression spring compared with the distance between disks. That solidly fixes the zero position of the system. Forces are bi-directional and symmetrical.

An outer tube has two internal walls, (or internal circlips in grooves), spaced by more than the required movement. An inner rod has two disks, ( or external circlips in grooves), attached with the same spacing as the disks above. Between the disks on the rod are two free floating cups that act as bushings to align the tube and rod. The ends of a compression spring rest in the cups. Those cups are limited in movement by either the tube internal walls or the disks on the rod.

shock-limiter.png

Likes MacLaddy
If the lever has two close knife edge or pin fulcrums, with a tension spring between them, then the lever system will return to the neutral position from either side when released. If the spring attachment point is off-centre, the return forces will have different magnitudes either side of centre.

Likes MacLaddy
Baluncore said:
If the lever has two close knife edge or pin fulcrums, with a tension spring between them, then the lever system will return to the neutral position from either side when released. If the spring attachment point is off-centre, the return forces will have different magnitudes either side of centre.

This is great, thank you. That is exactly the solution we are looking for. Does this type of spring assembly have a name? I could probably manufacture one pretty easily, but purchasing one would be a much faster option.

Unfortunately it is the type of mechanism that is simply built into a product rather than purchased off the shelf to be bolted on.
I could give you a diagram of an easy to build unit if I knew better how your lever was mounted, actuated and connected.

Related to Tension/compression spring thing

What is a tension/compression spring?

A tension/compression spring is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to absorb and store energy by stretching or compressing when a force is applied to it. It is commonly used in various applications such as automotive suspensions, toys, and household appliances.

How does a tension/compression spring work?

A tension/compression spring works by exerting a force in the opposite direction of the applied force, which allows it to store energy. When the applied force is removed, the spring returns to its original length, releasing the stored energy.

What materials are tension/compression springs made of?

Tension/compression springs are typically made of high-carbon steel, which is known for its strength and elasticity. However, they can also be made of other materials such as stainless steel, titanium, or even plastic.

What factors should be considered when choosing a tension/compression spring?

When choosing a tension/compression spring, factors such as the desired force, deflection, and working environment should be considered. These factors will determine the size, shape, and material of the spring needed for a specific application.

How do I know if a tension/compression spring is working properly?

A tension/compression spring should be able to return to its original length and exert the desired force when a load is applied. If the spring is damaged or too weak, it may fail to function properly and should be replaced.