Temperature rise calculation for electrical devices

In summary, both resistance and thermocouple type methods can be used to measure the temperature rise of electrical devices. Resistance type is more common, but thermocouple type provides a higher value of measurement.
srinaath
There are 2 types of temp rise measurement for electrical devices,
1)resistance type
2) thermocouple type (direct measurement)

My query is
1) which method is superior and please explain me the reason.
2) Which gives higher value of measurement?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To clarify your question, are you asking what devices are appropriate for measuring different temperature ranges?

Calculation or measurement, as your post doesn't agree with the thread title?

Likes russ_watters
gleem said:
To clarify your question, are you asking what devices are appropriate for measuring different temperature ranges?
in accordance with UL standard, there are two methods to detect temperature rise of a device,

1) resistance method: (involves detecting resistance of the coil)
upload_2018-1-30_20-52-19.png

2) thermocouple method: (directly measuring the temp using sensor)

I just wanted to know which method would be preferable and why is it so? or is there any advantage of one method over the other in terms of accuracy...

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_20-52-19.png
    upload_2018-1-30_20-52-19.png
    25 KB · Views: 917
srinaath said:
I just wanted to know which method would be preferable and why is it so? or is there any advantage of one method over the other in terms of accuracy...
Please read the link I provided, do some of your owwn research and come back with more focused questions (after you do the research, the questions you should be asking should be apparant).

srinaath said:

I think you'll find this a good introduction.
https://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z021-032.pdf

"Which method is preferable" depends on preferences (and prejudices) of whoever is doing the job and of course what it is he's measuring. . You'd measure a kiln differently than the air stream in an automobile engine intake..

Beware the allure of the esoteric .
Temperature is defined in the International Practical Temperature Scale by reference to platinum resistance thermometer. See http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/77A/jresv77An3p309_A1b.pdf
This naturally inclines one to think that a platinum RTD is endowed with superior precision.
Actually, to achieve high precision with either a thermocouple or an RTD you will have to calibrate it against a temperature standard.

Take a close look at that nist publication... first page
The thermometer resistor must be annealed pure " platinum, supported in a "strain-free" manner and have a value of W at 100°C not less than 1.39250.
It's fabricated of very delicate wire that must survive getting wound onto a mandrel and having lead wires affixed, then insertion into a sheath. .
A thermocouple on the other hand is two wires usually welded together. They need not be delicate.

Your computer will have to do a curve fit to convert the signal from either a thermocouple or a RTD into temperature. In my day we used linear interpolation in lookup tables of desired accuracy because it was faster than solving quadratics in floating point. With today's equipment i believe that's no longer a problem.
I used thermocouples to measure our feedwater temperature for reactor power calorimetric. I never regretted it. They were wired straight into the ADC so there were no 'knobs' that anybody could mis-adjust. I believe they're still using the same ones i installed in 1973.

old jim

Likes sophiecentaur
srinaath said:
in accordance with UL standard, there are two methods to detect temperature rise of a device,

1) resistance method: (involves detecting resistance of the coil)
2) thermocouple method: (directly measuring the temp using sensor)

Which UL standard are you referring to?

"Device" seems rather too broad a term, because "detecting resistance of the coil" suggests solenoids and motor windings. Provided you are referring to motors, read IEEE standard 112, "IEEE Standard Test Procedure for Polyphase Induction Motors and Generators" with a focus on section 4.4 "Temperature" and section 5.8, "Temperature Test".

Which technique is preferable? Depends on whether temperature sensors have already been installed (and where), size of the electrical machine, and what exactly it is you are trying to find out.

Asymptotic said:
Which UL standard are you referring to?

"Device" seems rather too broad a term, because "detecting resistance of the coil" suggests solenoids and motor windings. Provided you are referring to motors, read IEEE standard 112, "IEEE Standard Test Procedure for Polyphase Induction Motors and Generators" with a focus on section 4.4 "Temperature" and section 5.8, "Temperature Test".

Which technique is preferable? Depends on whether temperature sensors have already been installed (and where), size of the electrical machine, and what exactly it is you are trying to find out.
UL508
I am trying to find the temp rise of a transformer

I don't know the specifics of UL 508 transformer temperature rise testing, but odds are it is similar to the procedures in IEEE 112. It may be I'm underthinking this, but temperature rise ought to be on the transformer nameplate. Let's say it isn't, and measurement is necessary.

srinaath said:
My query is
1) which method is superior and please explain me the reason.
2) Which gives higher value of measurement?

Neither method is universally superior - it still depends on what you are trying to find out.

How do you mean "Which gives a higher value of measurement"? Which technique yields a numerically larger value? Or in the sense of which measurement technique gives results more closely aligned with actual temperature changes?

Broadly speaking, the 'resistance change' technique isn't suitable for determining the maximum temperature rise that occurs after one or more bolted fault trials. Temperature distribution isn't uniform - winding temperature is driven higher deep within the winding because the cooling medium and heat sinking can't get at it. Resistance change gives the average, under-represents this hot spot temperature, and direct measurement may be the only recourse. Problem is, the only way to get a temperature probe to the hot spot is to build it into the winding, and have some foreknowledge of where the hot spot temperature is located.

If you want to learn temperature rise at rated current over a reasonably long period of time then both methods have their pros and cons.

How large is the transformer in question? It is difficult to answer to your questions otherwise.

Thermal time constant is larger for large transformers than it is for small ones. Pulse transformers in an SCR gating application are tiny, and (unless an IR sensor is used to measure core temperature) whatever temperature probe is applied will be a significant fraction of the transformer's mass, act as a heat sink, and affect the measurement. By the same token, it doesn't take very long for such a small mass to cool off, and resistance must be measured immediately after the pulse generator is turned off. These things aren't as much of an issue, for instance, in a 50 kVA dry transformer.

Interestingly the old UL motor standard 1004-1 allows for a higher max reading/calculated temperature if the rise by resistance method is used, when compared to TCs. This as I understand it through a few conversations is because UL assumes the hottest spot in the winding is in a slot. They do not believe TCs buried in end-turns capture the slot temperature and therefore require the max TC reading to be reduced. If that is the case then rise by resistance is seen as true. The problem becomes taking resistance readings while the winding is energized. That is not problem for TCs and allows for faster testing.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How is temperature rise calculated for electrical devices?

The temperature rise for electrical devices is calculated using the formula: temperature rise = (I^2 x R x t)/k, where I is the current, R is the resistance, t is the time, and k is the thermal constant.

2. What factors affect the temperature rise in electrical devices?

Some factors that can affect temperature rise in electrical devices include the amount of current flowing through the device, the resistance of the device, the ambient temperature, and the thermal properties of the materials used in the device.

3. Can temperature rise be accurately predicted for all types of electrical devices?

While temperature rise calculations can provide a good estimate for most electrical devices, there are some factors that may affect accuracy, such as variations in manufacturing processes or environmental conditions. It is important to regularly monitor the temperature of electrical devices to ensure safe operation.

4. How does temperature rise impact the performance and lifespan of electrical devices?

Excessive temperature rise can significantly impact the performance and lifespan of electrical devices. It can lead to increased energy consumption, reduced efficiency, and even damage or failure of the device. It is important to keep temperature rise within safe limits to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the device.

5. How can temperature rise be controlled in electrical devices?

There are several ways to control temperature rise in electrical devices, such as using heat sinks, fans, or other cooling methods. Additionally, proper design and selection of materials with good thermal conductivity can also help to minimize temperature rise. Regular maintenance and monitoring of devices is also crucial in controlling temperature rise.