Temperature is inversely proportional to position away from center

In summary, the temperature of a metal sphere with center at the origin is inversely proportional to the distance from the center. At point P(1,2,2), the temperature is 120 degrees. The rate of temperature change in the direction of Q(2,1,3) is given by the equation [T(x,y,z)] = -A(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) + C, where A is the proportionality constant and C is the temperature at the center of the metal sphere. The gradient of [T(1,2,2)] is (-80 rad3)/9, which can be simplified to (-40 rad3)/3 when we use A = -120/9.
clairaut
A metal sphere with center at origin has its temperature that is inversely proportional to the position from center.

At point P(1,2,2) temperature is found to be 120 degrees

What is the rate of temperature change in direction of Q(2,1,3)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my answer.

The center of the metal sphere has a high temperature larger than 120 degrees.

[T(x,y,z)] = -A (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) + C

Where A is the proportionality constant
And C is the temperature at center of metal sphere.

Gradient of
[T(1,2,2)] dot <1/rad3, -1/rad3, 1/rad3>
=
(-80 rad3)/9

Based upon an A = proportionality constant = -120/9 = -40/3
(This part is highly ambiguous to me but I just tried it for its quick simplicity)

My final answer is (-80 rad3)/9

The book says my answer is INCORRECT by a factor of 1/2

clairaut said:
A metal sphere with center at origin has its temperature that is inversely proportional to the position from center.

At point P(1,2,2) temperature is found to be 120 degrees

What is the rate of temperature change in direction of Q(2,1,3)?

clairaut said:
Here is my answer.

The center of the metal sphere has a high temperature larger than 120 degrees.

[T(x,y,z)] = -A (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) + C

Have you stated the problem correctly? If the temperature is inversely proportional to the distance from the center you would start with$$
T = \frac k {\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}$$

Oh... I did state the problem correctly.

I simply made the mistake of setting this equation up as a negative direct proportion.

Thank you.

I'll try it out again.

Related to Temperature is inversely proportional to position away from center

1. What does it mean when temperature is inversely proportional to position away from center?

When temperature is inversely proportional to position away from center, it means that as the distance from the center increases, the temperature decreases. This relationship is known as an inverse proportion, where one quantity increases as the other decreases.

2. How does this relationship affect temperature in different regions?

This relationship affects temperature in different regions by causing a decrease in temperature as you move away from the center. The farther away from the center, the lower the temperature will be.

3. What are some real-life examples of this relationship?

One example of this relationship is the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere. As you move away from the equator towards the poles, the temperature decreases. Another example is the temperature of a baked good, where the center is typically warmer than the edges.

4. How is this relationship represented mathematically?

This relationship can be represented mathematically using the equation T = k/d, where T is the temperature, k is a constant, and d is the distance from the center. This equation shows the inverse proportion between temperature and distance from the center.

5. What other factors can affect this relationship?

Other factors that can affect this relationship include the type of material being measured, the presence of external heat sources, and the time of day. These factors can impact the temperature and its distribution in different regions, altering the relationship between temperature and distance from the center.