Temperature in the regulator valve of a cylinder

In summary, the purpose of a regulator valve on a cylinder is to control the flow of gas or liquid and maintain a specific pressure. Temperature can affect the functionality of the valve and the ideal temperature range for most valves is -20°C to 60°C. To manage temperature fluctuations, it is important to choose a suitable valve and take precautions when working with extreme temperatures.
Doppler0y

Homework Statement

There is a cylinder of oxygen connected to a valve (A) and then to connected to a regulatory valve. The volume of both valves and the pipes between them is Vr and can be disconsidered in regard to the cylinder's volume. The oxygen can be considered a perfect gas with:
[tex]c_v = 0.653 \frac{kJ}{kg K} [/tex]
[tex]c_p = 0.915 \frac{kJ}{kg K} [/tex]
Initial cylinder pressure, Pc = 150 bar = 15 * 106Pa
Initial temperature of the conections, Ti = 311K
Initial pressure on the conections, Pi = 1 bar = 105Pa
[/B]
First question: Considering that the gas from the conections will mix with the oxygen, what is the final temperature in Vr after oppening the valve A?

Second question: Considering that the gases won't mix what will the final temperature be? Considering that both regions won't exchange heat.

Homework Equations

In the first question since the process is isochoric
[tex] T_i \cdot mass \cdot c_p = T_f \cdot mass \cdot c_v[/tex]
in the second question since the process is adiabatic and compressive
[tex] P \cdot V^γ = constant[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So using the first equation to solve the first question I can divide the mass on both sides and get
[tex]311 \cdot 0.915 = T_f \cdot 0.653 [/tex]
[tex] T_f = 435.78K [/tex]
But my teacher told me that this value is bit high so maybe I'm using the wrong rationality.

On the second question if someone could give me a suggestion of something to read or a book I would be glad, because I know the heat capacity ratio can be useful in this case I just can't find the right logic to solve it. One thing I know is that the system will be similar to piston inside a motor since the gases will not mix.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

For the first question, your approach is correct. The final temperature in Vr will be 435.78K. However, it is always good to double check your calculations to make sure there are no errors. Can you show me your calculations so I can check them for you?

For the second question, you are correct in thinking that the heat capacity ratio, also known as the adiabatic index or the ratio of specific heats, will be useful in solving this problem. The adiabatic process is one where there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, so the system is insulated and there is no heat flow in or out. The equation you have written, P * V^γ = constant, is known as the adiabatic equation of state for an ideal gas. This equation describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature for an adiabatic process. To solve this problem, you will need to use this equation and also the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles of gas and R is the universal gas constant. Can you try to solve the second question using these equations? Let me know if you need any further help.

In terms of resources, I would recommend looking into thermodynamics textbooks or online resources that cover the adiabatic process and the adiabatic equation of state. You can also check out some examples and practice problems to get a better understanding of how to solve these types of problems.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on anything. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Temperature in the regulator valve of a cylinder

What is the purpose of a regulator valve on a cylinder?

The regulator valve on a cylinder controls the flow of gas or liquid into the cylinder. It is used to regulate and maintain a specific pressure inside the cylinder, which is necessary for various industrial and scientific processes.

How does temperature affect the regulator valve of a cylinder?

Temperature can affect the regulator valve in a few ways. Changes in temperature can cause expansion or contraction of the materials used in the valve, which can impact its functionality. Additionally, extreme temperatures can damage the valve and cause it to malfunction.

What is the ideal temperature range for a regulator valve?

The ideal temperature range for a regulator valve depends on the specific type and model of the valve. However, in general, most regulator valves are designed to function within a range of -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F).

How can temperature fluctuations be managed in a regulator valve?

To manage temperature fluctuations in a regulator valve, it is important to choose a valve that is designed to withstand the expected temperature range. Additionally, using insulating materials or installing the valve in a temperature-controlled environment can help to minimize the impact of temperature changes.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with a regulator valve in extreme temperatures?

When working with a regulator valve in extreme temperatures, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves or goggles, to avoid any potential injuries. It is also important to regularly inspect the valve for any signs of damage or malfunction and to follow proper safety protocols established by the manufacturer.