Internal energy in irr. process with molar heat not constant

In summary, the molar heat of an ideal gas changes according to a function of temperature, ##c_v=f(T)##, in an irreversible thermodynamics process. This also leads to ##c_p = R + f(T)##. To determine the heat exchanged during such a process, the change in internal energy, ##\Delta U##, can be calculated using the integral ##\Delta U = \int_{T_A}^{T_B} n f(T) dT##. This method is correct even if the process is not reversible, as U is a function only of temperature and does not depend on the path taken to reach the final state.
Soren4
I'm a bit confused about the following situation. In a irreversible thermodynamics process the molar heat of an ideal gas changes according to a function of the temperature, say ##c_v=f(T)## (which also leads to ##c_p=R+f(T)##) and I'm asked to determine the heat exchanged during that process, knowing that (for istance) the process is isochoric.

In a isochoric process ##\Delta U= Q## but before to write this I need to find ##\Delta U##, which is not ##\Delta U= n c_v \Delta T## because ##c_v## is not constant.

I would calculate it with the integral
$$\Delta U= \int dU= \int_{T_A}^{T_B} n f(T) dT$$

But this assumes that ##dU## can be written and integrated, which means that the temperature is defined in any intermediate step of the process, which is in contrast with the fact that the process is irreversible.

On the other hand I don't see another way to calculate the change in internal energy in such cases, so is this method correct? If it is not, then which is the correct method to get ##\Delta U## when ##c_v=f(T)## and the process is not reversible?

Science news on Phys.org
Soren4 said:
I'm a bit confused about the following situation. In a irreversible thermodynamics process the molar heat of an ideal gas changes according to a function of the temperature, say ##c_v=f(T)## (which also leads to ##c_p=R+f(T)##)
Are you assuming an ideal gas?

and I'm asked to determine the heat exchanged during that process, knowing that (for istance) the process is isochoric.

In a isochoric process ##\Delta U= Q## but before to write this I need to find ##\Delta U##, which is not ##\Delta U= n c_v \Delta T## because ##c_v## is not constant.

I would calculate it with the integral
$$\Delta U= \int dU= \int_{T_A}^{T_B} n f(T) dT$$

But this assumes that ##dU## can be written and integrated, which means that the temperature is defined in any intermediate step of the process, which is in contrast with the fact that the process is irreversible.
You only have to worry about work done on the surroundings. If the process is at constant volume, the only work done during the process is on the gas itself, not on the surroundings (eg. dynamic currents within the gas). When the gas returns to equilibrium, the work done on the gas simply contributes to internal energy (i.e. the kinetic energy of the currents is distributed and contributes to the average KE of all the molecules of the gas).
On the other hand I don't see another way to calculate the change in internal energy in such cases, so is this method correct? If it is not, then which is the correct method to get ##\Delta U## when ##c_v=f(T)## and the process is not reversible?
##\Delta U= \int dU= \int_{T_A}^{T_B} n f(T) dT## is correct.

AM

Likes Soren4
I agree with AM. U is a function only of temperature (for an ideal gas or an incompressible liquid or solid), and you are trying to find the change in U between the initial and final equilibrium states, irrespective of whether the process that took you from the initial state to the final state was irreversible. If I told you the initial temperature and final temperature in advance (and didn't reveal anything about how the system got from the initial to the final state), you would immediately calculate the change in U from the integral, with no hesitation. So, in short, it doesn't matter how the system got from the initial state to the final state, because U is a function only of state (and not path).

Likes Soren4

Related to Internal energy in irr. process with molar heat not constant

1. What is internal energy in an irreversible process?

Internal energy in an irreversible process refers to the total energy contained within a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. This energy is a result of the molecular motion and interactions within the system.

2. How is internal energy affected by a change in molar heat in an irreversible process?

In an irreversible process, a change in molar heat can result in a change in the internal energy of the system. This is because the heat energy added to the system can be converted into both work and an increase in the internal energy of the molecules.

3. Is the molar heat constant in an irreversible process?

No, the molar heat is not constant in an irreversible process. This is because the molar heat is dependent on the conditions and properties of the system, such as pressure, temperature, and composition, which can change during an irreversible process.

4. How does the internal energy change during an irreversible expansion?

During an irreversible expansion, the internal energy of the system decreases. This is because the system is doing work on its surroundings, resulting in a decrease in the internal energy of the molecules within the system.

5. Can the internal energy of a system ever be completely conserved in an irreversible process?

No, the internal energy of a system cannot be completely conserved in an irreversible process. This is because irreversible processes involve energy dissipation, such as friction and heat transfer, which result in a net decrease in the internal energy of the system.