Temperature Effect on Fracture Toughness of PMMA (Perspex)

• Thread starter mikex24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the temperature effect on fracture toughness on PMMA is that at room temperature, the material is brittle and at 373.15 Kelvin, the material is ductile.
mikex24
what is the temperature effect on fracture toughness on PMMA (Perspex)?. I have done in lab yesterday a fracture toughness test to measure the K1c value of this material at room temperature. The tutor tell us to find what will be the affect of doing the same test, but with different temperatures. Same test at 193.15 kelvin and the same test at 373.15 kelvin. I am thinking that on 193 kelvin the material will be very brittle and at 373.15 will be very ductile. So at the fisrt case the material will cracked very easy and at the second case the material will not cracked but maybe extend like a rubber. I need some more information about this to make clear in my mind the effect of different temperatures for this material(PMMA-Perspex).

Engineering news on Phys.org
thank you for the reply, unfortunately i can't open that file. i have to buy it. do you have the ability to download it? thanks

We did a fracture toughness test on PMMA and the result of K1c was 1.6 MPa.sqrt (m). The question is to discuss, how the data would change if the test was conducted at -193.15 Klevin or +373.15 Kelvin?.

I think we should return this discussion to the thread for the benefit of others, and those who might also offer contributions.

I also wonder if your lab was about straddling the ductile - brittle transition. there is lots on google about this. The example picture shows nylon, not pmma but you might look around a bit.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&sa=X&ei=RANfTbrDFoKp8AOKkrBa&ved=0CFIQ9QEwBw

yes, the tutor told us that the word ''GLASS TRANSITION-Tg'' will help us to answer the question. but i am not familiar with these so any help from you will help me.

I have asked others to look in as it's gone midnight here, meanwhile google

brittle - ductile transition (or the other way round)

It basically says that as a material gets colder there is a temperature below which fracture occurs by brittle failure and above which failure occurs by ductile failure.

If you plot the specific failure energy with temperature you get the characteristic S shaped curve, as shown in my link, with the transition temp at the steep near vertical part. The lower brittle energy corresponds to K1C.

... i get some idea. The tutor also asked from us to find the Tg temperature of this material. i have found it in a book that the Tg temp is 373.15. If someone can give me some idea of what the tutor would expect to see from me about the K1c and Tg temp. thank you

mikex24 said:
thank you for the reply, unfortunately i can't open that file. i have to buy it. do you have the ability to download it? thanks
One should be able to save the first page of that article cited by Studiot. It actually shows the KIC value as a function of temperature.

The fracture toughness (and ductility) normally improves with increasing temperature. PMMA does over a narrow range ~360 to 380K. But it falls off after that.

PMMA also gets increased KIC as a function of decreasing temperature below 333 K.

In general, metals show a decreasing KIC with decreasing temp.
http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/97ClassProj/exper/mcmurtry/www/matt.html

It would be interesting to see if one's own measurements are consistent.

Some universities have a subscription to Springer journals.

See if one can find - "Time-temperature dependent fracture toughness of PMMA." Journal of Materials Science 10 (8): 1381-1393.

Last edited by a moderator:
All polymers material have a Tg . This is the temperature where the thermal eneergy is sufficient to break the secundary bondig between polimer chain. If temperature is higher than Tg then the material can "fluid", in this case Kic almost hasn`t sense because the material is little "solid" . The fracture toughness can be applied to metalic materials and you can extrapolate (with luck) to other soid materials but a polymer at temperature higher than Tg is not a solid material

Related to Temperature Effect on Fracture Toughness of PMMA (Perspex)

1. How does temperature affect the fracture toughness of PMMA?

The fracture toughness of PMMA decreases as temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the polymer chains become more mobile and can easily undergo deformation, reducing their resistance to fracture.

2. What is the temperature range in which PMMA shows the greatest decrease in fracture toughness?

The greatest decrease in fracture toughness of PMMA is typically observed at temperatures above its glass transition temperature, which is around 105-120°C.

3. Can the fracture toughness of PMMA be restored after exposure to high temperatures?

No, once PMMA has been exposed to high temperatures, its fracture toughness cannot be restored. The polymer chains have undergone irreversible changes and their resistance to fracture will remain permanently reduced.

4. How does the cooling rate after exposure to high temperatures affect the fracture toughness of PMMA?

The cooling rate after exposure to high temperatures can affect the fracture toughness of PMMA. Slow cooling rates can lead to further degradation of the polymer chains, resulting in a greater decrease in fracture toughness.

5. Are there any other factors besides temperature that can affect the fracture toughness of PMMA?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the fracture toughness of PMMA, such as the molecular weight and structure of the polymer, the presence of additives or impurities, and the rate of loading during fracture.