Temperature distribution with heat generation

In summary, the problem is trying to find the temperature distribution in one dimension for x from 0 to 2L where there is an electric wire generating heat.
noName2
hey i really need help with solving this question.

1. Homework Statement

the problem is in one dimention x ( 2 plates with diffrent K joined together)
for x=0 T=500 ( constat temp)
0<x<L - electric wire is generating heat that maintane the constant temp in x=0 ,it has K=40W/mK.
L<x<2L - there is rubber preventing electriciution and heat loss Ki= 0.2 W/Km , where T(2L)=300K(constant).

how do i find the tempreture distribiotion in the 0<x<2L? (q* gen should be unknown but expressed in the finle answer)
please help :(

Homework Equations

foriers' law of conduction & Qin-Qout+Qgen=Qacc

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the distribution using the heat balance integral.. but I am not sure about the temperature at x=L..

Physics news on Phys.org
noName2 said:
hey i really need help with solving this question.

1. Homework Statement

the problem is in one dimention x ( 2 plates with diffrent K joined together)
for x=0 T=500 ( constat temp)
0<x<L - electric wire is generating heat that maintane the constant temp in x=0 ,it has K=40W/mK.
L<x<2L - there is rubber preventing electriciution and heat loss Ki= 0.2 W/Km , where T(2L)=300K(constant).

how do i find the tempreture distribiotion in the 0<x<2L? (q* gen should be unknown but expressed in the finle answer)
please help :(

Homework Equations

foriers' law of conduction & Qin-Qout+Qgen=Qacc

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the distribution using the heat balance integral.. but I am not sure about the temperature at x=L..
Let's see what you've done so far?

Chet

well , i found the general form of the distribution of the electric wire area(0<x<L) but I am missing a constant because I am not sure what's the temprature in the middle.
i was asked to find the distribution from 0<x<2L ..so i don't know if what i did is right..

here's what i did (image ) :http://www.imageurlhost.com/di/NME6/-.png

anyone?

The flux has to be continuous at the interface.

Chet

i know that..

If the electrical wire is generating just enough heat to maintain the boundary at x = 0 constant at 500 K, to me that means that the boundary at x = 0 is essentially insulated (i.e., no external heat flux required). What does that mean with regard to the constant C2 in your equation?

Chet

Last edited:
i know that constant i wrote in my answer that it is equal to T0. problem is the c1. i have no idea how to calculate it becase the other side of it has a diffrent k and has no heat generation.even if i compere heat flux. what shall i do ? I've tried everything!

noName2 said:
i know that constant i wrote in my answer that it is equal to T0. problem is the c1. i have no idea how to calculate it becase the other side of it has a diffrent k and has no heat generation.even if i compere heat flux. what shall i do ? I've tried everything!
Oh. Sorry. I meant C1 in post #7, not C2.

Chet

C1 = 0. With this new added information, do you think you will be able to complete the solution?

Last edited:

Related to Temperature distribution with heat generation

1. What is temperature distribution with heat generation?

Temperature distribution with heat generation is the study of how thermal energy is distributed within a system that is generating heat. This can refer to both natural systems, such as the Earth's atmosphere, and engineered systems, such as electronic devices.

2. How is temperature distribution with heat generation measured?

Temperature distribution with heat generation can be measured using a variety of methods, including thermal imaging, thermocouples, and infrared cameras. These methods allow scientists to visualize and quantify the distribution of thermal energy in a system.

3. What factors affect temperature distribution with heat generation?

Several factors can affect temperature distribution with heat generation, including the intensity and location of the heat source, the material properties of the system, and the environmental conditions such as air flow and humidity.

4. How does temperature distribution with heat generation impact the performance of a system?

The temperature distribution within a system can significantly impact its performance. Uneven temperature distribution can cause hot spots, which can lead to overheating and potentially damage the system. It can also affect the efficiency and reliability of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of temperature distribution with heat generation?

Temperature distribution with heat generation has many practical applications, including optimizing thermal management in electronic devices, studying atmospheric patterns and climate change, and designing efficient heating and cooling systems for buildings and vehicles.