Max temperature inside sphere generating heat

In summary: T - T_{\infty}) = A(T_{max} - T_{\infty}) \cos{(2\pi k_{w}T)}So the energy in the system is conserved, and the maximum temperature isThe maximum temperature in the tank at steady state is when the temperature at the center is equal to the temperature at the surface. In summary, the maximum temperature in the tank is when the temperature at the center is equal to the temperature at the surface. The thermal conductivities of the wastes and steel tank are 2.1 W/m K and 15 W/m K, respectively, so the temperature at the center would be 31.6 W/m K.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Radioactive wastes are stored in a spherical stainless tank of inner diameter 1 m and 1 cm wall
thickness. Heat is generated uniformly in the wastes at a rate of 30,000 W/m3. The outer
surface of the tank is cooled by air at 300 K with a heat transfer coefficient of 100 W/m2 K.
Determine the maximum temperature in the tank at steady state. Take the thermal
conductivities of the wastes and steel tank as 2.1 W/m K and 15 W/m K, respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to do this, so I do what I know and start with a general energy balance. I assume one dimensional heat flow in the sphere.

[tex] \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen} A \Delta r [/tex]

With the assumption of steady state (is this a valid assumption??), I get it reduced to
[tex] \frac {1}{r^2} \frac {d}{dr} [r^2 \frac {dT}{dr}] + \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \int d[r^2 \frac {dT}{dr}] = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k} \int_0^{r_{1} + t} r^2 dr [/tex]
[tex] r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k} \frac {(r_{1} + t)^{3}}{3} [/tex]

where ##r_{1}## is the inner radius of the sphere, and ##t## is the thickness of the sphere wall. However, there are two different thermal conductivities, so I don't know what to put as ##k## for this equation.

However, I'm not really sure how to think of where the maximum temperature in the sphere is. Is this where ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0##? I think since the generation of heat is greatest with the larger volume, then the further from the center, the larger the temperature, but I don't know how to go about showing this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I don't really know how to do this, so I do what I know and start with a general energy balance. I assume one dimensional heat flow in the sphere.
That is a good approach.
Maylis said:
With the assumption of steady state (is this a valid assumption??)
Sure, it is even given in the problem statement.
Maylis said:
However, there are two different thermal conductivities, so I don't know what to put as kk for this equation.
It is useful to consider the steel wall and the waste separately.

dT/dr will be zero at the point of maximal temperature, but you can simply look at the symmetry of the problem - if any part around the core would be hotter than the center, heat would flow inwards instead of outwards and the system would not be in equilibrium.

I'm not really making much progress on this problem. So I have two boundary conditions, ##T = T_{\infty}## at ##r = r_{1} + t##, and ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0## at ##r = 0##

So for ##0 \le r \le r_{1}##, I'll start back where I was
[tex] \int d[r^2 \frac {dT}{dr}] = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \int r^2 dr[/tex]
[tex] r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r^3}{3} + C_{1} [/tex]
[tex] \frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {1}{r^2} \frac {r^3}{3} + \frac {C_{1}}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex] dT = [-\frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r}{3} + \frac {C_{1}}{r^2}]dr [/tex]
[tex] T = -\frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r^2}{6} - \frac {C_{1}}{r} + C_{2} [/tex]

Now I can do for ##r_{1} \le r \le r_{1} + t##, my final result is
[tex]T = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{s}} \frac {r^2}{6} - \frac {C_{3}}{r} + C_{4} [/tex]

So my problem is with my expression ##\frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {1}{r^2} \frac {r^3}{3} + \frac {C_{1}}{r^2}##, if I try to evaluate this at ##r = 0##, then I will get ##\frac {dT}{dr} = \infty## due to the ##r## term in the denominator. I don't seem to have enough boundary conditions to solve for my 4 constants of integration from my two equations. I apply my boundary condition ##T = T_{\infty}## at ##r = r_{1} + t## and get
[tex] T_{\infty} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{s}} \frac {r_{1} + t}{3} - \frac {C_{3}}{r_{1} + t} + C_{4} [/tex]
With just this, I can't figure out both ##C_{3}## and ##C_{4}##. I then try to equate the equations for ##T## with each other, since they should both be valid at ##r = r_{1}##.

[tex] -\frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r_{1}^2}{6} - \frac {C_{1}}{r+{1}} + C_{2} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{s}} \frac {r_{1}^2}{6} - \frac {C_{3}}{r_{1}} + C_{4}[/tex]

I can subtract the constants ##C_{2}## and ##C_{4}## to make a new constant, ##C_{5}##

[tex] -\frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r_{1}^2}{6} - \frac {C_{1}}{r_{1}} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{s}} \frac {r_{1}^2}{6} - \frac {C_{3}}{r_{1}} + C_{5}[/tex]
But I still don't have a boundary condition at ##r = r_{1}## to help find any constant of integration, so I have exhausted all my possibilities that I can see from a general energy balance.

I also thought to approach it with Fourier's law. I know that ##\dot Q## is constant, so using Newton's law of cooling, I got
[tex] \dot Q = h_{\infty}A(T_{max} - T_{\infty}) [/tex]
And from Fourier's law,
[tex] \dot Q = -k_{w} 4 \pi r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} [/tex]
I equate the two expressions,
[tex]-k_{w} 4 \pi r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} = h_{\infty}A(T_{max} - T_{\infty}) [/tex]
[tex] \int_{T_{max}}^{T_{1}} dT = -\frac {h_{\infty} \frac {d^2}{4}}{k_{w}}(T_{max} - T_{\infty}) \int_{0}^{r_{1}} \frac {1}{r^2} dr[/tex]

Again, with this integration I get ##- \frac {1}{r}##, and at ##r = 0##, this goes to infinity. So I am stuck now

Last edited:
It's easiest to work this problem backwards, starting at the outside.

What is the total rate of heat generated within the sphere? All this heat has to flow through the air boundary layer outside the tank. Given the heat transfer coefficient, what is the temperature difference across the air boundary layer? Based on this temperature difference, what is the temperature at the outside of the steel shell?

Chet

Maylis said:
if I try to evaluate this at ##r = 0##, then I will get ##\frac {dT}{dr} = \infty## due to the ##r## term in the denominator.
Apart from a single, correct choice for the constant. But as Chestermiller said, start from the outside.

The released energy in the steel is zero. You also know the total power flowing through the steel.

Both things will allow to fix one constant. You can compute them one by one if you start from the outside.

How can I show from the general energy balance that the heat generated is equation to ##\dot Q##?

[tex] \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r + \dot W_{s} [/tex]
Assuming there is no shaft work,
[tex] \rho \hat{c_{p}} A \Delta r \frac {dT}{dt} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r [/tex]

With the steady state
[tex]\lim_{\Delta r \rightarrow 0} \frac {1}{A \Delta r} (\dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r}) + \dot e_{gen} = 0[/tex]
[tex] - \frac {d \dot Q}{A dr} + \dot e_{gen} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac {d \dot Q}{dV} = \dot e_{gen} [/tex]
[tex] \int_{\dot Q} d \dot Q = \int_{V} \dot e_{gen} dV [/tex]
I know this part is a little tricky with math, I know you can't do a ''regular'' integral over the heat flow, what's the deal with that?

Anyways, I calculate the outside temperature of the shell to be 348 K, and I calculated the heat flow to be 15,708 W. Now, I need the inner temperature, so I suppose I will start with Fourier's law
[tex] \dot Q_{steel} = -k_{s}A_{s} \frac {dT}{dr} [/tex]
[tex] 15,708 = -15 \pi (1.02^{2} - 1^2) \frac {dT}{dr} [/tex]
[tex] -8250.8 \int_{0.5}^{0.51} dr = \int_{T_{i}}^{348} dT [/tex]
And I calculate the inner temperature of the steel wall, ##T_{i} = 430.5 K##.

Then I do Fourier's Law for the waste
[tex] \dot Q_{waste} = -k_{w}A_{w} \frac {dT}{dr} [/tex]
[tex] 15,708 = -2.1 \pi (1^2) \frac {dT}{dr} [/tex]
[tex] -2381 \int_{0}^{0.5} dr = \int_{T_{max}}^{430.5} dT[/tex]
And I calculate ##T_{max} = 1621 K##

Last edited:
Sorry, but the shell and the core are done incorrectly.

For the shell, the equation should read:
[tex]15708=-4\pi r^2k\frac{dT}{dr}[/tex]
You need to integrate this equation with respect to r.

For the core, not all the heat flow passes through each surface of constant r, only the heat flow coming from inside the surface of constant r. So,
[tex]15708\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)^3=-4\pi r^2k_w\frac{dT}{dr}[/tex]
Where R is the outer radius of the core (inner radius of the shell).
You can get this same result from one of your earlier equations:
[tex] r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r^3}{3} + C_{1} [/tex]
This equation must hold at r = 0, so setting r = 0 gives C1=0
Therefore,
[tex] \frac {dT}{dr} = - \frac {\dot e_{gen}}{k_{w}} \frac {r}{3}[/tex]

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
Okay, I did this after some more thought, and a little help from a TA to get started, but here is what I did. I just found out recently that I had to set the first constant of integration to 0.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1414495701.399266.jpg

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1414496126.054452.jpg

Nice job.

Chet

Related to Max temperature inside sphere generating heat

1. What is the maximum temperature that can be achieved inside a sphere generating heat?

The maximum temperature inside a sphere generating heat depends on various factors such as the type of heat source, the size and material of the sphere, and the surrounding environment. It is difficult to determine a specific maximum temperature without considering these factors.

2. Can the temperature inside a sphere generating heat exceed the melting point of the material?

Yes, it is possible for the temperature inside a sphere generating heat to exceed the melting point of the material. This can happen if the heat source is strong enough or if the sphere is made of a material with a low melting point.

3. How does the temperature inside a sphere generating heat affect its structural integrity?

The temperature inside a sphere generating heat can affect its structural integrity in various ways. High temperatures can cause the material to expand, leading to possible structural damage. It can also weaken the material and decrease its strength, making it more susceptible to deformation or failure.

4. Is there a relation between the temperature inside a sphere generating heat and the rate of heat generation?

Yes, there is a direct relation between the temperature inside a sphere generating heat and the rate of heat generation. As the temperature increases, the rate of heat generation also increases. However, this relation may not be linear and can vary depending on the specific heat source and material.

5. How can the temperature inside a sphere generating heat be controlled?

The temperature inside a sphere generating heat can be controlled by regulating the heat source, adjusting the surrounding environment, or using insulating materials. Additionally, the size and material of the sphere can also affect the temperature inside. Proper design and planning can help maintain a desired temperature inside the sphere.