Techniques to show a space is complete?

In summary, there are various ways to show that a space is complete, but one must show that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point. This can be done by considering the metric and the space it is in, and there is no one method that always works. Additionally, the empty metric space is also considered complete.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

What are some ways to show that a space is complete?

It is tricky because to show completeness, must show every Cauchy sequence converges to a point in the space.

The Attempt at a Solution

One way is by contradiction? Suppose that there exists a Cauchy sequence that dosen't converge to a point in X than show it does converge?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is too general. I guess a good thing to keep in mind is that a Cauchy sequence is convergent if it has a convergent subsequence. Sometimes this can be handy.

How about I give a problem

Show that the metric d(x,y)=|x^3-y^3| is R complete. R is the real numbers.

Show that this space and metric is equivalent to R under the usual metric, i.e. that the map sending x to x is a homeomorphism between (R,d) and (R,| |).

Matt do you have an answer to the general question. The hard thing is 'every' cauchy sequence. Or are problems usually solved by recognising template complete metrics before hand and show homeomorphisms with the template ones.

For not complete, does it just invovle find a counter example?

There will be no such thing as 'the method' - just show cauchy sequences have limits by whatever means you can. That's like askig - how do I show a function is continuous - depends on the function. How do I show a set is compact - depends on the set. I can't think of many places in maths where there is such a thing as 'the method' that always works.

matt grime said:
There will be no such thing as 'the method' - just show cauchy sequences have limits by whatever means you can. That's like askig - how do I show a function is continuous - depends on the function. How do I show a set is compact - depends on the set. I can't think of many places in maths where there is such a thing as 'the method' that always works.

What about the word 'every'? Is showing that one Cauchy sequence contains a limit in a metric enough? Or does the word every not matter as much? Because all Cauchy sequences are all the same in a certain metric. The key is the metric that determines whether a Cauchy sequence converges or not.

Last edited:
If it's sufficient for completeness that one Cauchy sequence converges, then completeness is a very useless definition, because in this sense every nonempty metric space is complete: just take any constant sequence - this is cauchy and convergent.

So you have to show that any Cauchy sequence converges.

morphism said:
If it's sufficient for completeness that one Cauchy sequence converges, then completeness is a very useless definition, because in this sense every nonempty metric space is complete: just take any constant sequence - this is cauchy and convergent.

So you have to show that any Cauchy sequence converges.

Good point. Looks like one has to take some general, broader approaches. Considering what space the metric is in is a start and will give some indication to the solution of the problem.

Last edited:
morphism;1356130 in this sense every nonempty metric space is complete[/QUOTE said:
the empty metric space is also complete - since there are no sequences, the statement "for all sequences {x_n}, {x_n} cauchy implies {x_n} convergent" is vacuously true.

matt grime said:
the empty metric space is also complete - since there are no sequences, the statement "for all sequences {x_n}, {x_n} cauchy implies {x_n} convergent" is vacuously true.
Yeah. The empty metric space is always complete.

Related to Techniques to show a space is complete?

1. What is the definition of completeness in a space?

The completeness of a space refers to the ability to capture all possible elements in the space, meaning there are no missing or undefined elements. This is important in mathematics and physics as it allows for accurate and precise calculations and predictions.

2. How can one prove that a space is complete?

One commonly used technique is through the use of Cauchy sequences, where a sequence of elements in the space is shown to converge to a limit within the space. If all Cauchy sequences in the space converge to a limit within the space, then it is considered complete.

3. Are there different types of completeness in a space?

Yes, there are two main types of completeness in a space: metric completeness and topological completeness. Metric completeness is based on the distance between elements in the space, while topological completeness is based on the convergence of sequences in the space.

4. Can a space be both complete and incomplete?

No, a space cannot be both complete and incomplete. It is either one or the other. However, a space can be complete with respect to one type of completeness (e.g. metric completeness) and incomplete with respect to another type (e.g. topological completeness).

5. Why is it important to show that a space is complete?

Showing that a space is complete is important because it allows for more accurate and precise calculations and predictions in mathematics and physics. It also helps to ensure that the space is well-defined and does not have any gaps or missing elements.