Techniques for Evaluating Momentum Space Integrals with Spherical Coordinates?

In summary, the student is having difficulty evaluating an integral involving d3p and is uncertain of the approach to take. The student has attempted to rewrite the exponential in the integral as: e^{(\frac {-it} {2m})(p_z^2 + p_y^2 + p_x^2 + \frac {(x-x_0)(2m)} {t} p_x) } = e^{\frac {im(x-x_0)^2} {2t}} e^{(\frac {-it} {2m}) (p_z^2 + p_y^2 +( p_x - \frac {(x-x_
Nick Heller

Homework Statement

This integral has to do with the probability amplitude that a free particle at position x0 is found at x at some time t. With H = p2/(2m), this involves evaluating the integral
1/(2π)3∫d3p e-i(p2/(2m))t eip(x-x0)
The answer is
(m/(2πit))3/2e(im(x-x0)2)/(2t)

2. Homework Equations

H = p2/(2m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to work with d3p, since I don't know how to decompose it in terms of p besides dpxdpydpz. When I try to evaluate that integral Mathematica takes forever, so I'm not sure its the right approach. When I just use this instead and evaluate from -∞ to ∞ or 0 to ∞ I get e(im(x-x0)2)/(2t) times a factor that does not equal (m/(2πit))3/2 and with some combinations of erf functions which is a red flag. How do I evaluate this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nick Heller said:
I get e(im(x-x0)2)/(2t) times a factor that does not equal (m/(2πit))
What does this factor look like before you try to evaluate it. Is it an integral of some sort?

Last edited:
The Gaussian integral is,
##\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\alpha x^2}dx=\sqrt{\frac{ \pi} {\alpha}}##.
You can rewrite the exponential in the integral as:
## e^{(\frac {-it} {2m})(p_z^2 + p_y^2 + p_x^2 + \frac {(x-x_0)(2m)} {t} p_x) } = e^{\frac {im(x-x_0)^2} {2t}} e^{(\frac {-it} {2m}) (p_z^2 + p_y^2 +( p_x - \frac {(x-x_0)m} {t} )^2)} ##
The integral becomes:
##\frac {e^{\frac {im(x-x_0)^2} {2t}}} {(2\pi)^3} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty dp_x dp_y dp_z e^{(\frac {-it} {2m}) (p_z^2 + p_y^2 +( p_x - \frac {(x-x_0)m} {t} )^2)} ##
Making a change of variables in ## p_x## and using the Gaussian integral result for ## p_x, p_y, p_z## the answer follows.

Is there any techinques to evalute integrals like this, with respect to spherical coordinate??

Related to Techniques for Evaluating Momentum Space Integrals with Spherical Coordinates?

1. What is momentum space integral?

Momentum space integral is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum within a given region of space.

2. How is momentum space integral related to position space integral?

Position space integral and momentum space integral are related through the Fourier transform. The position space wave function is the inverse Fourier transform of the momentum space wave function, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of momentum space integral in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, momentum space integral is important for calculating the momentum and energy of a particle, as well as determining the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum in a given region of space.

4. How is momentum space integral used in particle physics?

In particle physics, momentum space integral is used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles, as well as to calculate scattering amplitudes and cross sections.

5. What are the key differences between momentum space integral and position space integral?

The main difference between momentum space integral and position space integral is the variable being integrated. In momentum space, the variable is momentum, while in position space, the variable is position. Additionally, the wave functions in these spaces have different physical interpretations and properties.