Position to momentum space in three dimensions

In summary, the conversation is about changing the hydrogen ground state wave function from position to momentum space. The integral Ψ(p) is solved and the result is 4πħ(2πħ)^(-3/2) p^(-1) (πa^3)^(-1/2) I am [(ip/ħ-1/a)^(-2)], which the professor confirms is correct. The question is how to separate the imaginary part from the real part in the expression (ip/ħ-1/a)^(-2). The professor's final result is Ψ(p)=(8πħ^4)/[(2πħ)^(-3/2) a^2 (4πa)
Cleo
Homework Statement
Mathematical complication solving Q.M. problem.
Relevant Equations
Im [(ip/ħ-1/a)^(-2)]
Hi! I am trying to change the hydrogen ground state wave funcion from position to momentum space, so i solved the integral
Ψ(p)=(2πħ)^(-3/2)
(πa^3)^(-1/2)
∫∫∫e^(prcosθ/ħ) e^(-r/a) senθ r^2 dΦdθdr
and got 4πħ(2πħ)^(-3/2) p^(-1) (πa^3)^(-1/2) I am [(ip/ħ-1/a)^(-2)], which according to the professor's solution is ok, but then i don't know which is the imaginary part that i need to pick. p is the momentum, i is the imaginary unit, a is Bohr radius, r is the radial coordinate, and I am means imaginary part of what is in the brackets.
So basically mi question is: How do i separate the imaginary part from the real part in this expression?:
(ip/ħ-1/a)^(-2)

The professor said that the final result is Ψ(p)=(8πħ^4)/[(2πħ)^(-3/2) a^2 (4πa)^(1/2) (p^2+ħ^2/a^2)^2], but i have no clue of how he did that final step. I guess it shouldn't be very difficoult but i have been long trying to figure out how to do it and for some reason i don't get it. It would be very nice if some of you could help me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To get ##i## out of the denominator, multiply the top and bottom by the complex conjugate:
$$\frac{1}{a+bi} = \frac{a-bi}{(a+bi)(a-bi)} = \frac{a}{a^2+b^2} - i \frac{b}{a^2+b^2}$$

Likes Cleo
Ahhh thanks a lot!

Related to Position to momentum space in three dimensions

1. What is the difference between position and momentum space in three dimensions?

Position space refers to the physical location of a particle in three-dimensional space, while momentum space refers to the momentum of the particle in three dimensions. In position space, the coordinates are position coordinates (x, y, z), while in momentum space, the coordinates are momentum coordinates (px, py, pz).

2. How is a particle's position related to its momentum in three dimensions?

In quantum mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This relationship is described mathematically by the Fourier transform.

3. What is the significance of using three dimensions in position to momentum space?

Three dimensions are used in position to momentum space because it allows for a more complete description of a particle's position and momentum. In three dimensions, we can fully describe a particle's position with three coordinates and its momentum with three coordinates, giving us a total of six dimensions in phase space.

4. How is the Fourier transform used to convert between position and momentum space in three dimensions?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from one domain (such as position space) to another domain (such as momentum space). In the case of converting between position and momentum space in three dimensions, the Fourier transform is applied to the wavefunction of a particle to obtain its momentum wavefunction.

5. Can the concept of position to momentum space in three dimensions be applied to other physical systems?

Yes, the concept of position to momentum space in three dimensions can be applied to other physical systems, not just particles. For example, it can be used to describe the behavior of waves or fields in three-dimensional space. The Fourier transform is a powerful tool that can be applied to a variety of physical systems to gain a better understanding of their behavior.