Technical question about Nikolic' Quantum Myths

In summary, formula 26 defines the norm of a vector as\langle\psi|\psi\rangle = \psi_1^*\psi_1 + \psi_2^*\psi_2 .Formula 28 states that p_1=|\langle \phi_1|\psi\rangle|^2 which contradicts the equation in the paragraph before formula 24, where it reads p_1=\psi_1^*\psi_1.
birulami
I am referring to the http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163" discussed at length in other threads with a purely technical question to help me understand more of the paper.

On page 12, formula 26 defines the norm of a vector as

[tex]\langle\psi|\psi\rangle = \psi_1^*\psi_1 + \psi_2^*\psi_2 .[/tex]

My question is: isn't there a square root missing to get a norm. When I look up my lecture notes on functional analysis, a norm on a Hilbert space is defined by

[tex]||f|| = \sqrt{(f,f)}[/tex]

where [itex](\cdot,\cdot)[/itex] is the scalar product. If the above formula 26 would nevertheless be correct, I would end up with a scalar product with a square in, which is not linear and therefore not a scalar product.

What am I confusing here?

Thanks,
Harald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Square root is indeed missing. Or he meant to write norm squared.

lbrits said:
Or he meant to write norm squared.
Yes he did. :wink:

Even the the mass squared is sometimes called mass by physicists, especially relativists. :smile:

technical question about Nikolic' Quantum Myths (2nd round)

Thanks for the answers so far. Reading on in http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163" , I next stumble over formula 28. There I get

[tex]p_1=|\langle \phi_1|\psi\rangle|^2 = |\sqrt{1^*\psi_1 + 0\psi_2}|^2 = |\sqrt{\psi_1}|^2 =
|\psi_1| = \sqrt{\psi_1^*\psi_1} .[/tex]

This, however, contradicts the equation in the paragraph before formula 24, where it reads [itex]p_1 = \psi_1^*\psi_1[/itex].

My question is, whether formula 28 should rather start with [itex]\sqrt{p_1}[/itex] or whether actually it should read [itex]p_1 = \sqrt{\psi_1^*\psi1}[/itex] in the paragraph before 24?

Thanks,
Harald

Last edited by a moderator:
birulami said:
[tex]
|\langle \phi_1|\psi\rangle|^2 = |\sqrt{1^*\psi_1 + 0\psi_2}|^2
[/tex]
This is wrong. The correct statement is
[tex]
|\langle \phi_1|\psi\rangle|^2 = |1^*\psi_1 + 0\psi_2|^2
[/tex]
To repeat, <a|a> denotes the norm SQUARED.

Demystifier said:
This is wrong. The correct statement is
[tex]
|\langle \phi_1|\psi\rangle|^2 = |1^*\psi_1 + 0\psi_2|^2
[/tex]
To repeat, <a|a> denotes the norm SQUARED.

Arrrgh, this missing square of the norm got me all messed up. I should have read my own initial post:confused:.

Thanks for getting me back on the right track.
Harald.

Related to Technical question about Nikolic' Quantum Myths

1. What are the main myths surrounding Nikolic's Quantum Myths?

Nikolic's Quantum Myths have been subject to several misconceptions, including the belief that they challenge the established principles of quantum mechanics and that they offer a new theory of quantum mechanics. In reality, Nikolic's Quantum Myths are meant to critique the misuse and misinterpretation of quantum mechanics in popular culture.

2. How does Nikolic's Quantum Myths differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

Nikolic's Quantum Myths do not offer a new theory of quantum mechanics, but rather an examination of the false claims and misunderstandings surrounding the subject. Nikolic's work does not challenge the established principles of quantum mechanics, but rather clarifies and corrects common misconceptions.

3. What is the significance of Nikolic's Quantum Myths?

Nikolic's Quantum Myths serve as an important reminder to approach scientific topics with critical thinking and to not rely on popular culture's interpretation of complex scientific concepts. It also highlights the need for scientists to effectively communicate their research and findings to the general public.

4. How can I apply Nikolic's Quantum Myths in my own research or studies?

Nikolic's Quantum Myths can serve as a valuable resource for understanding the common misconceptions surrounding quantum mechanics. By becoming familiar with these myths, researchers and students can better avoid them in their own work and have a more accurate understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any other resources or studies that complement Nikolic's Quantum Myths?

Yes, there are several other resources and studies that discuss and debunk the myths surrounding quantum mechanics. Some popular books on the subject include "Quantum Reality: Beyond the New Physics" by Nick Herbert and "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner.