Teaching Myself Anti-Derivatives: A Calc II Homework Challenge

In summary: I'm going to have to do a little lot of reading before I come back and pay attention to what you guys are trying to teach me now.In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's struggles with calculus, particularly with anti-derivatives and integration. They discuss finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by given curves about a specified line. The conversation also touches on the first fundamental theorem of calculus and provides resources for further learning.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I’ve dropped my Calc II class because my Calc I class, which I took at the community college, never covered anti-derivatives, and my Calc II class started off assuming you already knew anti-derivatives and integration.

So now I have the fun task of teaching myself anti-derivatives and integration so I can take Calc II again next semester. So I might as well attempt the problems given as homework to the Calc II class. But unlike the homework, I’m going to choose the odd numbered problems so I can check my answers.

Q. Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. [tex]
y = x^2 ,\,\,x = 1,\,\,y = 0;\,
[/tex]about the x-axis.

After drawing it, I came up with
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
v = \sum\limits_0^1 {\pi r^2 } \Delta x = \pi \sum\limits_0^1 {r^2 } \Delta x \\
\\
v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {r^2 ,\,dx} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Now here’s where my lack of anti-derivative skills hurt me. What do I do next? To get the anti-derivative of r squared, do I add 1 to the exponent and divide the whole thing by the new exponent? Should I get [tex]
\pi \frac{{r^3 }}{3}
[/tex]? If so, how do I apply this new formula to get an answer? My integral goes from 0 to 1. How do I get from here to the final answer of [tex]
\pi /5
[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what an anti derivative is. This will help you check yourself.

example)

[tex] \int x^4 \,\, dx = \frac{1}{5}\,x^5 + C [/tex]

Now differentiate it.

[tex] \frac{d(\int x^4 \,\, dx)}{dx} = \frac{d(\frac{1}{5}\,x^5 + C)}{dx} = \frac{1}{5} \, \left( \frac{d(x^5)}{dx} + \frac{d(C)}{dx}\right) = \frac{1}{5} \, 5x^4 + 0 [/tex]

... hmmm I just noticed you put
[tex]
v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {r^2 ,\,dx}
[/tex]

Did you mean for the [itex] r^2 [/itex]?

To get the volume, I'm adding up all the areas of the slices of the shape. They'll form disks with a thickness of delta x when rotated about the x-axis, so for the area I want to do pi r squared. Since radius of each slice would be y(x), I should have put x2 there instead of r2, especially since I put dx.
[tex] v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {x^2 ,\,dx} [/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, well:

[tex] \pi \int x^2 \, dx = \pi \frac{x^3}{3} [/itex]
(setting the constant equal to 0)

[tex] \pi \int_a^b x^2 \, dx = \pi \left( \frac{b^3}{3} - \frac{a^3}{3} \right) [/tex]

Or maybe I meant
[tex] v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {(r^2) ,\,dx} [/tex]
give me a few minutes to think about this.
edit ^^ my tex didn't do what I wanted it to do

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {\left( {x^2 } \right)^2 \,,\,dx} \\
v = \pi \int\limits_0^1 {x^4 \,,\,dx} \\
v = \pi \frac{{x^5 }}{5} \\
v = \frac{{\pi x^5 }}{5} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

So if I plug in 1 for x, I get the same answer as the back of the book. What would I have done if the integration went from 2 to 3 instead of 0 to 1? Do I subtract these numbers and plug it in the formula?

Let's say you have a general function (that's integrable) [itex] f(x) [/itex]

Let the antiderivative equal [itex] F(x) [/itex].

Thus,

[tex] F(x) = \int f(x) \, dx [/itex]

[itex] F(x) [/itex] is called an indefinite integral.

If you were to evaluate this integral (as a definite integral), you would have.

[tex] \int_a^b f(x) \, dx =F(b) - F(a)[/tex]

This is the first fundamental http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FirstFundamentalTheoremofCalculus.html" of calculus.

This answers your question in general.

But to answer your question specifically.

You asked, what if I integrate from 2 to 3 instead.

[tex] \pi \int_2^3 x^4 \, dx [/tex]

From the first fundamental theorem.
[tex] \int_a^b f(x) \, dx =F(b) - F(a)[/tex]
[tex] a = 2 [/tex]
[tex] b = 3 [/tex]
[tex] f(x) = x^4 [/tex]

Now we have to find [itex] F(x) [/itex]
[tex] F(x) = \int x^4 \, dx = \frac{x^5}{5} + C[/tex]

Now plugging in a, b
[tex] F(b) = F(3) = \frac{3^5}{5} + C [/tex]
[tex] F(a) = F(2) = \frac{2^5}{5} + C [/tex]

Finally [itex] F(b) - F(a) [/itex] is equal to:
[tex] \left(\frac{3^5}{5} + C \right) - \left( \frac{2^5}{5} + C \right) [/tex]

Notice that the constant is dropped.
Also note that this was multiplied by [itex] \pi [/itex] !

Last edited by a moderator:
Just practice some.

You can check your work with,
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

Here is a good free calculus book.
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm

You can read up on integrals there.

tony - you're going a bit wrong bringing the r into play.

For solids of revolution, you just need the curves y=f(x).

Sketch these curves first.

You can then apply the formula:

[tex]V=\pi\int_0^1f(x)^2dx[/tex]

Thank you FrogPad for your help and for the links.

And Thanks J77. I figured that out that I needed to replace r with the function that gives me r, and it must be in terms of x.

Related to Teaching Myself Anti-Derivatives: A Calc II Homework Challenge

1) What is the purpose of teaching myself anti-derivatives?

The purpose of teaching yourself anti-derivatives is to gain a deeper understanding of calculus concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. It also allows you to work at your own pace and focus on areas where you may need more practice.

2) How can I effectively teach myself anti-derivatives?

Some tips for teaching yourself anti-derivatives include reviewing the basic rules and formulas, practicing with a variety of problems, and seeking help from online resources or a tutor if needed. It is also important to stay organized and set aside dedicated study time.

3) What are some common challenges when teaching yourself anti-derivatives?

Some common challenges when teaching yourself anti-derivatives include understanding the fundamental concepts, applying the rules correctly, and identifying which techniques to use for different types of problems. It is also important to be patient and persistent, as mastering anti-derivatives takes practice.

4) How can I check my work when teaching myself anti-derivatives?

One way to check your work when teaching yourself anti-derivatives is to use online tools or calculators that can verify your solutions. You can also compare your answers with those in the back of your textbook or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

5) How can I apply my knowledge of anti-derivatives in real-life situations?

Understanding anti-derivatives can be beneficial in many real-life situations, such as calculating rates of change in business or science, determining the area under a curve, or solving optimization problems. It can also pave the way for more advanced calculus concepts and other fields of mathematics.