Taylor series of an integral function

In summary, the OP attempted to solve the integral f'(x) = sin x/x using the Maclaurin series but ran into difficulty when x approached zero. However, by expanding sin(t) in a power series and dividing by t, he was able to solve the problem.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

$$ \displaystyle f\left( x \right)=\int\limits_{0}^{x}{\frac{\sin t}{t}dt} $$

Calculate the Maclaurin series of third order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I do is:

$$ \displaystyle f'\left( x \right)=\frac{\sin x}{x} $$

$$ \displaystyle f''\left( x \right)=\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{{{x}^{2}}}$$

and so on...

but if I try to evaluate theese two on x=0 it doesn't make sense. I've seen I have to transform the integrand to the taylor polynomial but why is my "method" wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What I do is:

and so on...

but if I try to evaluate theese two on x=0 it doesn't make sense. I've seen I have to transform the integrand to the taylor polynomial but why is my "method" wrong?

Thanks

f' and f'' both have specific limiting values at x = 0. For example, in the limit of x approaches zero, f' = 1.

It's a lot easier if you expand sin(t) in a power series. Then divide by t. You are simply trying to do it the hard way.

Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What I do is:

and so on...

Thanks

The beauty of a Taylor series is that it allows you to express functions which are complicated to integrate in terms of an infinite sum of polynomials which are easy to integrate.

The Maclaurin series is simply the Taylor series centered at 0.

Recall that the Maclaurin series for [itex]sinx = \sum_{n=0}^{∞}\frac{x^(2n+1)}{(2n+1)!}(-1)^n[/itex]

Using this fact you should be able to solve your integral.

Dick said:
It's a lot easier if you expand sin(t) in a power series. Then divide by t. You are simply trying to do it the hard way.

I agree. That's how I would have done the problem if it had been posed to me. But I wanted to show how it could also have been done using the more difficult way that the OP had pursued.

Thank you guys, now I understand ;)

Related to Taylor series of an integral function

1. What is a Taylor series of an integral function?

A Taylor series of an integral function is a representation of a function as a sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point by using its derivatives.

2. Why is the Taylor series of an integral function important?

The Taylor series of an integral function is important because it allows us to approximate the value of a function at a certain point without having to evaluate the function directly. It also provides a way to express a function in a simpler form, making it easier to manipulate and analyze.

3. How is the Taylor series of an integral function calculated?

The Taylor series of an integral function is calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at a single point and using them to create a polynomial. The polynomial is then used to approximate the value of the function at that point.

4. What is the difference between the Taylor series of an integral function and the Maclaurin series?

The Taylor series of an integral function is a generalization of the Maclaurin series. The Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series, where the point of expansion is 0. In other words, the Maclaurin series is a Taylor series centered at 0.

5. What are the applications of the Taylor series of an integral function?

The Taylor series of an integral function has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to approximate the value of a function, to find the behavior of a function near a certain point, and to solve differential equations. It is also used in optimization problems and in numerical methods for solving equations and integrals.