Taylor Series for Complex Variables

In summary, the Taylor series for the function f(z) = e Ʃ(z-1)n/n! can be found by writing ez=ez-1e and integrating by parts. However, to get the ∫ez-1/(z-1)n+1dz expression, the Cauchy integral formula needs to be used.
eaglesmath15

Homework Statement

Obtain the Taylor series ez=e Ʃ(z-1)n/n! for 0[itex]\leq(n)[/itex]<[itex]\infty[/itex], (|z-1|<[itex]\infty[/itex]) for the function f(z)=ez by (ii) writing ez=ez-1e.

Homework Equations

Taylor series:
f(z) = Ʃ(1/2\pi/i ∫(f(z)/(z-z0)n+1dz)(z-z0)n

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of this question called for the Taylor series to be found using the Cauchy Integral shortcut at fn(1), so I assume that this is meant to be solved using the formula for Taylor series as is, but that's where I get stuck. I fill in the Taylor series, and reduce to:
f(z)=e Ʃ(z-1)n∫ez-1/(z-1)n+1}dz
and I have no idea how to get the integral to equal [itex]\stackrel{1}{n!}[/itex], which is what it must in order to equal the original condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
eaglesmath15 said:

Homework Statement

Obtain the Taylor series ez=e Ʃ(z-1)n/n! for 0[itex]\leq(n)[/itex]<[itex]\infty[/itex], (|z-1|<[itex]\infty[/itex]) for the function f(z)=ez by (ii) writing ez=ez-1e.

Homework Equations

Taylor series:
f(z) = Ʃ(1/2\pi/i ∫(f(z)/(z-z0)n+1dz)(z-z0)n

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of this question called for the Taylor series to be found using the Cauchy Integral shortcut at fn(1), so I assume that this is meant to be solved using the formula for Taylor series as is, but that's where I get stuck. I fill in the Taylor series, and reduce to:
f(z)=e Ʃ(z-1)n∫ez-1/(z-1)n+1}dz
and I have no idea how to get the integral to equal [itex]\stackrel{1}{n!}[/itex], which is what it must in order to equal the original condition.

Well, what kind of expression does the Cauchy Integral formula give you for ∫ez-1/(z-1)n+1dz?

If you must use the Cauchy integral formula to keep your prof happy, you must, although calling it a shortcut strikes me as rather inaccurate. Maybe calling it the long way around?

Whenever I have to expand ##e^{f(z)}## for f(z) holomorphic, I use the expansion in z at 0 and shove f(z) in where previously I had a z. For example

##e^z = \sum z^n/n!## where the coefficients (all 1) can be computed with the elementary calculus derivative approach if you don't know them. You won't get anything different using Cauchy, so why go to all that trouble?

So for example ##e^{2z} = \sum (2z)^n/n!##. This works fine.

You can at least use this simpler approach to check your work.

Related to Taylor Series for Complex Variables

1. What is a Taylor series for complex variables?

A Taylor series for complex variables is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of infinite terms. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a given point by using its derivatives at that point.

2. How is a Taylor series for complex variables different from a Taylor series for real variables?

A Taylor series for complex variables includes both real and imaginary terms, while a Taylor series for real variables only includes real terms. Complex Taylor series also involve complex derivatives, which are calculated using the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a Taylor series for complex variables?

The radius of convergence for a Taylor series for complex variables is the maximum distance from the center of the series at which the series still converges. This radius can be found by using the Cauchy-Hadamard formula.

4. How is the Cauchy integral formula used in Taylor series for complex variables?

The Cauchy integral formula allows for the calculation of complex integrals using the values of a function and its derivatives at a given point. This formula is used to find the coefficients of a Taylor series for complex variables, which are used to approximate the function at that point.

5. What are some applications of Taylor series for complex variables?

Taylor series for complex variables are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering for modeling and approximating complex systems.