Taylor series expansion for xln(x) with x = 1

In summary, the student is trying to find the Taylor series expansion of a function about x = 1, but is having trouble figuring out how to get the nth term. They are also confused about what the relationship between x and t is. If the student needs the Taylor expansion of a function f(x) around t = 0, then how should they express this t in terms of the original x? Also, when t = 0, x = 1?
Refraction

Homework Statement

For f(x) = xln(x), find the taylor series expansion of f(x) about x = 1, and write the infinite series in compact form.

2. The attempt at a solution

I can find the expansion itself fine, these are the first few terms:

[tex]0 + (x-1) + \frac{(x-1)^{2}}{2!} - \frac{(x-1)^{3}}{3!} + \frac{2(x-1)^{4}}{4!} - \frac{6(x-1)^{5}}{5!} + \frac{24(x-1)^{6}}{6!}[/tex]

but I'm having trouble finding a pattern for the nth term (and I can't write it in compact form without that). f(1) and the first 7 derivatives of f(x) at x = 1 end up being 0, 1, 1, -1, 2, -6, 24, and it's mainly that part that seems to make finding it a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Taylor series expansion for [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex]? What is the relation between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]?

I guess it would be t - (t^2)/2 + (t^3)/3 - (t^4)/4 + (t^5)/5 etc. if it was about t = 0? Not sure what you mean by the relationship between x and t though.

Last edited:
Why do you use [itex]x[/itex] in your expansion of [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex]? And, if you do not know what I mean by relation between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], all I can say is think harder how this helps with regards to your problem.

Sorry, it was supposed to be t in there, anyway I'll see if I can figure out what you meant.

Refraction said:

Homework Statement

For f(x) = xln(x), find the taylor series expansion of f(x) about x = 1, and write the infinite series in compact form.

2. The attempt at a solution

I can find the expansion itself fine, these are the first few terms:

[tex]0 + (x-1) + \frac{(x-1)^{2}}{2!} - \frac{(x-1)^{3}}{3!} + \frac{2(x-1)^{4}}{4!} - \frac{6(x-1)^{5}}{5!} + \frac{24(x-1)^{6}}{6!}[/tex]

I don't understand why it isn't:

[tex]0 + 0 + \frac{(x-1)^{2}}{2!} - \frac{(x-1)^{3}}{3!} + \frac{2(x-1)^{4}}{4!} - \frac{6(x-1)^{5}}{5!} + \frac{24(x-1)^{6}}{6!}[/tex]

Doesn't f'(0) = 0?

f'(x) is ln(x) + 1, and in this question it's at x = 1 not x = 0 (which wouldn't be defined for f'(x) anyway)
so it's f'(1) = ln(1) + 1 = 1 in that case.

Refraction said:
f'(x) is ln(x) + 1, and in this question it's at x = 1 not x = 0 (which wouldn't be defined for f'(x) anyway)
so it's f'(1) = ln(1) + 1 = 1 in that case.

I made a typo. I was supposed to write f'(1) = 0. But yeah, I was wrong anyway.

Dickfore said:
if you do not know what I mean by relation between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], all I can say is think harder how this helps with regards to your problem.

I'm still not having much luck figuring this out, any chance you could be a bit more specific about what you meant?

Refraction said:
I'm still not having much luck figuring this out, any chance you could be a bit more specific about what you meant?

If you need the Taylor expansion of a function [itex]f(x)[/itex], but you know the Taylor expansion of [itex]f(1 + t)[/itex] around [itex]t = 0[/itex], then how should you express this [itex]t[/itex] in terms of the original [itex]x[/itex]? Also, to what value of [itex]x[/itex] would [itex]t = 0[/itex] correspond to?

[itex]t=x-1[/itex] and when [itex]t=0, x=1[/itex] ? I just realized that for a function like [itex]xln(1+x)[/itex] you can find the series for [itex]ln(1+x)[/itex] and multiply the compact form by [itex]x[/itex] to give the expansion for [itex]xln(1+x)[/itex].

It looks like I need to do something similar here, but I'm not sure what that last step would be now. I thought I might be able to multiply the taylor series of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] by [itex]x[/itex] to give the series for [itex]xln(x)[/itex], but that didn't work out the same way.

Last edited:
The coefficient in front of [itex]ln(1+t)[/itex] is not [itex]t[/itex] anymore after this substitution had been made. You get two terms. Then you need to add the series term by term and simplify everything.

By the coefficient [itex]t[/itex] for [itex]ln(1+t)[/itex], do you mean when it would be [itex]t ln(1+t)[/itex]? (making it [itex](x-1)ln(x)[/itex] after the substitution)

Refraction said:
By the coefficient [itex]t[/itex] for [itex]ln(1+t)[/itex], do you mean when it would be [itex]t ln(1+t)[/itex]? (making it [itex](x-1)ln(x)[/itex] after the substitution)

No. Will you please provide a step by step procedure for your solution, so that we can tell you where you are wrong. We are not allowed to give detailed solutions.

Related to Taylor series expansion for xln(x) with x = 1

What is the Taylor series for xln(x)?

The Taylor series for xln(x) is an infinite series that represents the function xln(x) as a sum of polynomial terms. It is used to approximate the values of xln(x) at any point within its interval of convergence.

What is the interval of convergence for the Taylor series of xln(x)?

The interval of convergence for the Taylor series of xln(x) is from 0 to 2.

How is the Taylor series for xln(x) derived?

The Taylor series for xln(x) is derived by using the generalized Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function and evaluating them at a chosen point. This process is repeated for each term in the series, resulting in an infinite sum.

What is the purpose of using the Taylor series for xln(x)?

The Taylor series for xln(x) is useful because it allows us to approximate the values of xln(x) at points that are not easily calculable. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the function and its derivatives at any given point.

What is the relationship between the Taylor series for xln(x) and the Maclaurin series for ln(x)?

The Taylor series for xln(x) and the Maclaurin series for ln(x) are closely related, as the Taylor series for xln(x) is essentially the Maclaurin series for ln(x) multiplied by x. This is because xln(x) is the derivative of ln(x), which is the Maclaurin series for ln(x).