Taylor series at a point for which the function isn't defined (perturbation)

In summary: Now, we can substitute these values of c_1 and c_2 back into the general solution to get the exact solution for the ODE:y(x) = \frac{\alpha e^{\frac{1+\sqrt{1-4\
tjackson3

Homework Statement

This problem arises from the following ODE:

[tex]\epsilon y'' + y' + y = 0, y(0) = \alpha, y(1) = \beta[/tex]

where [itex]0 < x < 1, 0 < \epsilon \ll 1[/itex]

Find the exact solution and expand it in a Taylor series for small [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

Homework Equations

I guess knowing the Taylor series formula would be helpful

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ye olde constant coefficient method, I get that the solution (in non-expanded form) is:

[tex]y(x) = c_1\cosh(rx) + c_2\sinh(rx)[/tex]

where

[tex]r = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}[/tex]

(this is real since [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is so small)

Applying the boundary conditions gives that

[tex]y(x) = \alpha\cosh(rx) + \frac{\beta-\alpha\cosh(r)}{\sinh(r)}\sinh(rx)[/tex]

Now the goal is to do a Taylor series not for x, but for epsilon (remember that r is a function of epsilon). Trouble is that this diverges near [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex], so I don't see how to do it. I tried putting it into Mathematica and got a very crazy answer. I'm not sure it's right, and I'm less sure how to get it.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. It is an interesting and challenging one, and I am happy to help you find the solution.

First, let's start by writing the ODE in a more standard form, by dividing both sides by \epsilon:

y'' + \frac{1}{\epsilon}y' + \frac{1}{\epsilon}y = 0

Next, we can use the method of undetermined coefficients to find the particular solution for this ODE. We assume that the solution has the form y(x) = e^{rx}, and plug it into the ODE:

r^2e^{rx} + \frac{1}{\epsilon}re^{rx} + \frac{1}{\epsilon}e^{rx} = 0

Simplifying and factoring out the common term e^{rx}, we get:

e^{rx} (r^2 + \frac{r}{\epsilon} + \frac{1}{\epsilon}) = 0

Since the exponential function is never equal to zero, the expression in parentheses must be equal to zero. Solving for r, we get:

r = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}

Now, we can use these values of r to find the general solution for the ODE:

y(x) = c_1e^{\frac{-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}x} + c_2e^{\frac{-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}x}

Next, we can use the initial conditions to find the values of c_1 and c_2. Plugging in x = 0 and x = 1, we get the following two equations:

c_1 + c_2 = \alpha
c_1e^{\frac{-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}} + c_2e^{\frac{-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}} = \beta

Solving this system of equations, we get:

c_1 = \frac{\alpha e^{\frac{1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2\epsilon}} - \beta}{e^{\frac{1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}}{2

Related to Taylor series at a point for which the function isn't defined (perturbation)

1. What is a Taylor series at a point for which the function isn't defined?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is determined by the function's derivatives at a given point. If the function is not defined at that point, the Taylor series cannot be calculated.

2. Why is it important to consider Taylor series at points where the function isn't defined?

Taylor series can help us approximate the behavior of a function near a given point, even if the function is not defined at that point. This can provide valuable insights and predictions in areas such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you find the Taylor series at a point for which the function isn't defined?

To find the Taylor series at a point where the function is not defined, we can use the concept of perturbation. This involves introducing a small change or disturbance to the function to make it defined at the given point, and then finding the Taylor series for this perturbed function.

4. Can a Taylor series at a point where the function isn't defined be used to approximate the function itself?

Yes, a Taylor series at a point where the function is not defined can be used to approximate the function in a small neighborhood around that point. However, as we move further away from the given point, the approximation may become less accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor series at points where the function isn't defined?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Taylor series at points where the function is not defined. For example, the series may not converge or may converge to a different function than the original one. Additionally, the approximation may only be reliable in a small neighborhood around the given point.