Taylor Polynomials- Lagrange remainder

In summary: , and then we could only get an upper bound for the error that is less than the function's maximum value.
rambo5330
So I'm studying for a final, and it just so happens my professor threw taylor polynomials at us in the last week.. I understand the concept of a taylor polynomial but i need some help fully understand the LaGrange remainder theorem

if we have a function that has n derivatives on the interval [a,b] and n+1 derivatives on (a,b). fix a point Xo [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b). then for any x [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b) there exists a number Z between Xo and x ...put z into the lagrange formula and it gives you the bounds on the error from what i understand?

The issue I am having is how to we pick the interval (a,b) ...

for example in the text the most basic question is ex
if i wanted to estimate the value of e with a 3rd degree taylor polynomial then I calculate the 4 derivatives of ex (which are all the same) put the first 3 derivatives in a taylor series.. and then for the remainder term use the fourth derivative and then ?

let Xo = 1 ... then the interval (a,b) needs to contain 1. so for example can i pick the interval (1/2, 6) or is it better to have a smaller interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because you're picking z between x0 and x, it doesn't matter what (a,b) is as long as it contains x0 and x. If you want to use the Taylor series for ex centered around 1 to estimate e2, you could do two things:

1) Look at the interval (0,3). We apply the theorem to find a point in the interval [1,2] that we can plug into the fourth derivative to find the error.

2) Suppose we instead look at the interval (0,5). Then we would still find the same point in [1,2] that we would use to find the error. The extra part of the interval doesn't do anything here

so for the remainder term... if Xo = 1 ... the point its centered around I am assuming... and
x = 2 for estimating e2 I should pick a value Z in [1,2] such that it creates the maximum amount of error i may get ?

rambo5330 said:
I should pick a value Z in [1,2] such that it creates the maximum amount of error i may get ?

There exists a value Z in [1,2] that gives you the error. It's hard in general to figure out what it is, but we can take a look at what the remainder theorem to get a decent upper bound

The error is [tex] \leq \frac{2-1}{4!} f^{(4)}(Z)[/tex] where [tex]f(x)=e^x[/tex]. Z is some number that we don't know immediately (probably can't calculate it at all in fact), but we do know that [tex] f^{(4)}(x) = e^x[/tex] is an increasing function, so is largest at x=2 on [1,2]. Therefore the upper bound for our error is [tex] \frac{1}{4!} e^2=.31[/tex] (here f(4) is the fourth derivative)

If we had a more complicated function it would be harder to find out what the maximum of its derivatives are

Related to Taylor Polynomials- Lagrange remainder

What is a Taylor Polynomial?

A Taylor Polynomial is a mathematical expression used to approximate a function around a given point. It is made up of a finite number of terms, each representing a derivative of the function evaluated at the given point.

What is the purpose of using Taylor Polynomials?

The purpose of using Taylor Polynomials is to approximate a function with a simpler expression that is easier to work with. This can be useful in situations where the exact value of a function is difficult to calculate or not known.

What is the Lagrange remainder in a Taylor Polynomial?

The Lagrange remainder in a Taylor Polynomial is the difference between the actual value of the function and the value given by the Taylor Polynomial. It is used to estimate the error in the approximation.

How is the Lagrange remainder calculated?

The Lagrange remainder is calculated using the Taylor remainder theorem, which states that the remainder is equal to the value of the next term in the Taylor Polynomial divided by the factorial of the degree of that term, multiplied by the distance between the given point and the center of the Taylor Polynomial.

What is the significance of the Lagrange remainder in Taylor Polynomials?

The Lagrange remainder is significant because it allows us to estimate the accuracy of our Taylor Polynomial approximation. By calculating the remainder, we can determine how many terms we need in the polynomial to achieve a desired level of accuracy.