Taxonomy, can you name the bird from its song?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary: That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)Yes, I am. I'm sorry if I confused you.Yes, I am.
fluidistic
Gold Member
In many documentals on the Amazonian rainforest I can hear a bird' song but I don't think they ever showed it nor named it.
In the following video you can skip up to minute 1:54 to listen to the bird. Apparently it is on the video, but I can't see it well at all.
Do you have an idea about what bird is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that it's the warbling finch ... perhaps the most musical of all animals except for the pygmy hippo and certain trained hummingbirds. Nice wind flute stuff in the video. Of course there is the ever present possibility of kidnapping by rebels. Why do all of those countries have rebels? What, exactly, are they rebelling against? And why do they kidnap people? Oh, ok, for the money.

ThomasT said:
I'm guessing that it's the warbling finch ... perhaps the most musical of all animals except for the pygmy hippo and certain trained hummingbirds. Nice wind flute stuff in the video. Of course there is the ever present possibility of kidnapping by rebels. Why do all of those countries have rebels? What, exactly, are they rebelling against? And why do they kidnap people? Oh, ok, for the money.

After trying to watch some videos about the warbling finch, I do not think this is it.
I've searched more and found out the bird. It is named around second 43 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tkrPZrOsHs&feature=related. My English is too weak to understand what the name is.
Can someone write this name?

Edit: I hear "this is a clay srival, a screaming pee ar". Must be quite far from the real name.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
After trying to watch some videos about the warbling finch, I do not think this is it.
I've searched more and found out the bird. It is named around second 43 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tkrPZrOsHs&feature=related. My English is too weak to understand what the name is.
Can someone write this name?
Screaming Piha. I think.

ThomasT said:
Screaming Piha. I think.

That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)

fluidistic said:
That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)
No problem. By the way, what is your native language?

French.

fluidistic said:
French.
Cool. I love French. I read it better than German. But for some reason spoken German is easier for me to follow.

EDIT: Are you the French Canadian person? If so, please excuse me. I'm getting old, and I forget stuff.

Related to Taxonomy, can you name the bird from its song?

1. What is taxonomy?

Taxonomy is the science of classifying and naming living organisms based on their physical and genetic characteristics.

2. How does taxonomy help identify birds?

Taxonomy provides a systematic way to categorize and name birds based on their physical features and genetic relationships. This helps scientists and bird enthusiasts accurately identify and differentiate between different species of birds.

3. Can all birds be identified by their songs?

No, not all birds can be identified solely by their songs. While some species have distinct and recognizable songs, others may have similar songs or no songs at all. Other physical characteristics, such as color and size, are also important for bird identification.

4. Is it possible to identify a bird just by its song?

In some cases, yes. Experienced birders and ornithologists may be able to identify a bird solely by its song, especially if it is a species they are very familiar with. However, for most people, visual observation and other identifying characteristics are necessary for accurate bird identification.

5. How do scientists use bird songs in taxonomy?

Scientists use bird songs as one of the many characteristics to classify and group birds into different taxonomic categories, such as species, genus, and family. They also study the evolution and variation of bird songs to better understand the relationships between different bird species.