Tarzan swings down to save Jane

• Thread starter dkgojackets
  • Start date
In summary, Tarzan with a mass of 98.3552 stands on a 4.45 m cliff and uses a 30.1 m vine to rescue Jane with a mass of 57.5336. The rescue takes place in two parts, with the first part using simple harmonic motion and the second part using energy conservation. The final speed is 9.339 m/s and the height of the other side is 1.7714 m. The initial speed is found using momentum.
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

Tarzan (mass 98.3552) stands on a 4.45 m cliff next to a river. He grabs a vine of length 30.1 m whose point of support is directly above Jane (mass 57.5336). He grabs Jane at the bottom of his swing and has just enough speed to make it to the other side. How long does the rescue take?

Homework Equations

I assume some kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved the other two parts (Tarzans speed at bottom (9.339 m/s)and height of other side (1.7714 m). I triedd d = .5at^2 for both sides of the swing (down and back up) but didn't expect it to be right. It probably has something to do with harmonic motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see simple harmonic motion working here. divide it into two parts with separate values for omega (in the SHM, not omega of the rope). Not too hard to do for the first part because you know the final speed. set that equal to (omega)(amplitude) where amp is the max angle. For the second part, do it the same way, but first calculate the initial speed by using energy conservation. Can you go from there?

on second thought, I guess you already know that initial speed because you used momentum to find the height of the other side. That makes it easier.

Related to Tarzan swings down to save Jane

1. How do Tarzan's swings work?

Tarzan's swings are made possible by his incredible strength and agility. He uses a combination of vines and branches to propel himself through the jungle with incredible speed and precision.

2. How does Tarzan save Jane with his swings?

Tarzan is able to use his swings to quickly navigate through the jungle and reach Jane in dangerous situations. He can also use his agility to grab and hold onto her if she is falling or in danger.

3. Are Tarzan's swings physically possible?

While Tarzan's swings are often portrayed as superhuman, they are not physically possible in real life. The vines and branches he uses would not be strong enough to support his weight and the forces exerted on them.

4. How does Tarzan learn to swing like that?

Tarzan's ability to swing through the jungle with such ease is due to his upbringing. He was raised by apes and learned their movements and behaviors, allowing him to move through the trees with great skill.

5. Can anyone swing like Tarzan?

While it may not be possible to swing through the jungle like Tarzan, there are certainly people who have trained and developed impressive acrobatic abilities and can perform similar feats. However, it takes years of practice and training to reach this level of skill.