Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tangoforever's question at Yahoo! Answers regarding minimizing area of poster

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Here is the question:

OPTIMIZATION PROBLEM HELP!!! PLEASE?

The top and bottom margins of a poster are 4 cm and the side margins are each 2 cm. If the area of printed material on the poster is fixed at 384 square centimeters, find the dimensions of the poster with the smallest area.
Here is a link to the question:

OPTIMIZATION PROBLEM HELP!!! PLEASE? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: tangoforever's question at Yahoo! Answers regarding minimzing area of poster

Hello tangoforever,

Let's let $h$ be the height of the poster, and $w$ be the width. All linear measures will be in cm.

We know the height of the printed area is $h-2\cdot4=h-8$ and the width of the printed area is $w-2\cdot2=w-4$. We are given the area of the printed area to be $384\text{ cm}^2$. And since the area of a rectangular region is width times height, we may state:

(1) \(\displaystyle 384=(w-4)(h-8)\)

Now, the area of the poster, which we will denote by $A$, is simply width times height, or:

(2) \(\displaystyle A=wh\)

This is the quantity we wish to minimize. Using (1), we may solve for either variable, and then substitute into (2) to get a function in one variable. Let's replace $w$, and so solving (1) for $w$, we find:

(3) \(\displaystyle w=\frac{384}{h-8}+4\)

At this point we may want to recognize that we require $8<h$.

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle A(h)=\left(\frac{384}{h-8}+4 \right)h\)

Next we want to equate the first derivative to zero to find the critical values in the domain of the function. Using the product rule for differentiation, we find:

\(\displaystyle A'(h)=\left(\frac{384}{h-8}+4 \right)(1)+\left(-\frac{384}{(h-8)^2} \right)h=\frac{384(h-8)+4(h-8)^2-384h}{(h-8)^2}=\frac{4\left(h^2-16h-704 \right)}{(h-8)^2}=0\)

Application of the quadratic formula, and discarding the root outside of the domain, yields the critical value:

\(\displaystyle h=8+16\sqrt{3}=8(1+2\sqrt{3})\)

Use of the first derivative test shows that the derivative is negative to the left of this critical value and positive to the right, hence this critical value is at a local minimum, and in fact is the global minimum on the restricted domain.

Here is a plot of the area function for \(\displaystyle 8\le h\le64\):

Now, to find the width, we may use (3) which yields:

\(\displaystyle w=\frac{384}{8(1+2\sqrt{3})-8}+4=4(1+2\sqrt{3})=\frac{h}{2}\)

To tangoforever and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other optimization questions in our Calculus forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations Mark. One of the most elegant posts I've ever seen.