Tangential movement in a waterslide

In summary: It's true that the normal force is always perpendicular to v, but that doesn't mean it can't do work.In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a person on a waterslide with a fully horizontal curve that has the shape of a circle segment. The question at hand is how to describe the tangential equation of motion for the person's angle in the slide. The conversation also mentions using the small angle approximation for sine and cosine. The attempt at a solution involves finding the centripetal force, the normal force, and the remaining forces acting on the person. However, the equations are not immediately useful and a more accurate approach would be to write the position of the mass in terms of coordinates and differentiate twice to
Fibo112

Homework Statement

A person enters a curve of a waterslide with velocity v. The curve is fully horizontal and has the shape of a circle segment of radius R, there is no friction and width of the curve can be neglected for calculating the centripedal force. The waterslide itself can be described as a semi circle with radius r. The question is to describe the tangential equation of motion for the angle a the person in the slide. We must than linearise this equation of motion with the small angle approx for sin and cos.

Homework Equations

F(centripedal)=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The only forces acting are g and the normal force. Since the person is traveling in a circle of radius R with speed v there must be a centripedal force of mv^2/R (problem: the motion is not really circular since the person also has tangential movement in the slide). This centripedal force is horizontal so it cannot stem from gm -->it must come from the normal force. The horizontal component of the normal force is sin(a) N= aN=mv^2/R. The remaining force acting on the person is the vertical componenet of N and g =( mv^2/(Ra))-gm. The tangential component of this force is (mv^2/Ra)-g)sin a=(mv^2/Ra)-gm)a). This component is equal to a''mr. This gives a''=v^2/Rr-ga/r.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170709-221708.png
    Screenshot_20170709-221708.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Fibo112 said:

Homework Equations

F(centripedal)=mv^2/r
It is not quite as simple as circular motion. (This equation isn't immediately useful if we don't know the radius of curvature of the motion.)

I would like to guide you based off your attempt, but I don't think I understand it. You seem to be taking the tangential component of the vertical component of the net force and equating it with mra'' ... Did you mean to take the tangential-component of the entire force instead of just a component of a component?

Assuming that is what you meant, it is still wrong to equate this with mra'' ... That would be the tangent-acceleration if the mass were oscillating in the slide (r) but not moving around the curve (R) ... but when it is also moving around the curve, things are not the same.A safe approach would be to write the position of the mass in terms of some (inertial) coordinates and differentiate twice in time to find the acceleration.
An example of what I mean;
Position during circular motion can be described by the coordinates as R=<Rcos(θ), Rsin(θ)> so when we differentiate twice we get,
R''=<-θ'2Rcos(θ), -θ'2Rsin(θ)> = -θ'2R = -ω2R, the familiar centripetal-acceleration result.

Hiero said:
It is not quite as simple as circular motion. (This equation isn't immediately useful if we don't know the radius of curvature of the motion.)

I would like to guide you based off your attempt, but I don't think I understand it. You seem to be taking the tangential component of the vertical component of the net force and equating it with mra'' ... Did you mean to take the tangential-component of the entire force instead of just a component of a component?

Assuming that is what you meant, it is still wrong to equate this with mra'' ... That would be the tangent-acceleration if the mass were oscillating in the slide (r) but not moving around the curve (R) ... but when it is also moving around the curve, things are not the same.A safe approach would be to write the position of the mass in terms of some (inertial) coordinates and differentiate twice in time to find the acceleration.
Position during circular motion can be described by the coordinates as R=<Rcos(θ), Rsin(θ)> so when we differentiate twice we get,
R''=<-θ'2Rcos(θ), -θ'2Rsin(θ)> = -θ'2R = -ω2R, the familiar centripetal-acceleration result.
Thanks for the reply, I'm still stuck though :/

Fibo112 said:
You want the general equations of motion for when the angle a can change in time right?

The particle is restricted to move on (part of) the surface of a torus (donut shape). I am suggesting you describe the cartesian coordinates of a point on this surface in terms of two angles (a and θ) analogous to my example:
Hiero said:
If you paramerterize it correctly then finding equations of motion should just be a matter of carefully differentiating (and recognizing how v relates to θ').

If you don't understand what I am trying to say still then I apologize, but you'll have to explain your attempts more clearly if I am to help you more.

Fibo112 said:
You need another relationship between v and a. What's conserved?

Fibo112 said:
The horizontal component of the normal force is sin(a) N
You seem to be taking a as angle to the vertical (consistently). To use the small angle approximations you need it to be a deviation from an average angle.

haruspex said:

You need another relationship between v and a. What's conserved?
If the mechanical energy is conserved I would have another relationship since I know the relationship between the potential energy and the angle a. Is the mechanical energy conserved though? It would be if the normal force was always perpendicular to v..

Fibo112 said:
It would be if the normal force was always perpendicular to v..
Does the normal force do work?

haruspex said:
Does the normal force do work?
With circular motion in a plane I know it doesn't since it is perpendicular to v, in 3d I'm not sure

Fibo112 said:
With circular motion in a plane I know it doesn't since it is perpendicular to v, in 3d I'm not sure
A force only does work if there is motion parallel to it. I think you are getting confused with the constant speed condition.

haruspex said:
A force only does work if there is motion parallel to it. I think you are getting confused with the constant speed condition.
Yeah that's why I said it doesn't do work since it is perpendicular?

Fibo112 said:
Yeah that's why I said it doesn't do work since it is perpendicular?
Yes, sorry. Anyway, work is conserved here.

Now I have this relationship.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170710-004109.png
    Screenshot_20170710-004109.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 348
Fibo112 said:
Now I have this relationship.
Sin(a) for PE?

haruspex said:
Sin(a) for PE?
I thought sin(a)r is the height and then I just multiply that with mg?

Fibo112 said:
I thought sin(a)r is the height
Think again. E.g. consider 45 degrees.

haruspex said:
Think again. E.g. consider 45 degrees.
Ups, PE= r(1-cos a)mg

I still don't know how to continue though...

At this point I would really appreciate it if someone could just give me a solution...

Fibo112 said:
I still don't know how to continue thoough...
Don't differentiate. Just use the energy expression to substitute for v in your acceleration equation.
Fibo112 said:
At this point I would really appreciate it if someone could just give me a solution...
Not allowed on homework forums.
As I noted, you cannot use the small angle approximation for a. It will not generally be that small. Instead, find the equilibrium value for a and make the small angle approximation for deviations from there.

haruspex said:
Don't differentiate. Just use the energy expression to substitute for v in your acceleration equation.

Not allowed on homework forums.
As I noted, you cannot use the small angle approximation for a. It will not generally be that small. Instead, find the equilibrium value for a and make the small angle approximation for deviations from there.
Which acceleration equation are you referring to?

Fibo112 said:
Which acceleration equation are you referring to?
The last part of your post #1, ##\ddot a=##...

haruspex said:
The last part of your post #1, ##\ddot a=##...
But how is that equation valid? Didn't I make mistakes in it's derivation?

The solution given is the same as mine in post#1, but I know the way I got there is very wrong...can someone tell me how they would solve the problem?

Fibo112 said:
But how is that equation valid? Didn't I make mistakes in it's derivation?
Yes, but obviously I mean the corrected version of that equation.
Write the equations without making a small angle approximation. (You can still make the approximation that velocity away from the horizontal can be ignored in the energy equation.) Can you find the equilibrium value of a?
Fibo112 said:
The solution given is the same as mine in post#1, but I know the way I got there is very wrong...can someone tell me how they would solve the problem?
Do you mean the method is the same or the answer? Please quote the given answer. I might disagree.

haruspex said:
Write the equations without making a small angle approximation. (You can still make the approximation that velocity away from the horizontal can be ignored in the energy equation.) Can you find the equilibrium value of a?

Do you mean the method is the same or the answer? Please quote the given answer. I might disagree.
Only the answer.

haruspex said:

Why can velocity away from the horizontal be ignored?

I think this is the equillibrium a

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170710-093856.png
    Screenshot_20170710-093856.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 350
Fibo112 said:
Why can velocity away from the horizontal be ignored?
Snce you are told to make small angle approximations, we must only be interested in small peturbations. That means any velocity away from the horizontal will be small compared with velocity in the horizontal.
If you prefer to develop, first, a completely accurate equation, before making any approximations, I would endorse that. It is a very sound way to proceed.

Fibo112 said:
I think this is the equillibrium a
Yes. Can you write your equations in terms of that angle plus a perturbation, then make the small angle approximation?

haruspex said:
Yes. Can you write your equations in terms of that angle plus a perturbation, then make the small angle approximation?
I am still stuck...I don't know what equations you are referring to.

Fibo112 said:
I am still stuck...I don't know what equations you are referring to.
Re-derive your acceleration equation in post #1, but this time do not make any small angle approximations. Use the energy equation to substitute for v in that.

This is as far as I get...I would appreciate it if you could tell me your solution so I can see what I am missing.

Attachments

• 20170710_104237.jpg
    20170710_104237.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 336
Fibo112 said:
This is as far as I get...I would appreciate it if you could tell me your solution so I can see what I am missing.
Ok. Now use your energy equation to substitute for v2.
When you have done that, write a as the sum of the equilibrium angle and a small angle perturbation.

Offline for the next four hours.

The solution to this problem is given as a''-ga/r+v^2/rR=0. Can someone please tell me how they would arrive at this solution so I can see which part I don't understand.

Attachments

• 20170710_110712.jpg
    20170710_110712.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 341
<h2>1. What is tangential movement in a waterslide?</h2><p>Tangential movement in a waterslide refers to the sideways or lateral motion that a rider experiences while going down the slide. It is caused by the curvature of the slide and the force of gravity acting on the rider.</p><h2>2. How does tangential movement affect the ride experience?</h2><p>Tangential movement adds an element of excitement and unpredictability to the ride experience. It can also increase the speed and intensity of the ride, making it more thrilling for riders.</p><h2>3. Is tangential movement safe for riders?</h2><p>Yes, tangential movement is safe for riders as long as they follow all safety guidelines and ride within their comfort level. Waterslide manufacturers design their slides with safety in mind, and strict regulations are in place to ensure the safety of riders.</p><h2>4. Can tangential movement be controlled or adjusted?</h2><p>Yes, the amount of tangential movement in a waterslide can be controlled and adjusted by changing the curvature and angle of the slide. This can be done during the design and construction phase of the slide.</p><h2>5. Are there any potential risks associated with tangential movement?</h2><p>In rare cases, tangential movement can cause riders to lose control and fall off the slide. This is why it is important for riders to follow safety guidelines and for waterslide operators to regularly inspect and maintain their slides to ensure they are safe for riders.</p>

1. What is tangential movement in a waterslide?

Tangential movement in a waterslide refers to the sideways or lateral motion that a rider experiences while going down the slide. It is caused by the curvature of the slide and the force of gravity acting on the rider.

2. How does tangential movement affect the ride experience?

Tangential movement adds an element of excitement and unpredictability to the ride experience. It can also increase the speed and intensity of the ride, making it more thrilling for riders.

3. Is tangential movement safe for riders?

Yes, tangential movement is safe for riders as long as they follow all safety guidelines and ride within their comfort level. Waterslide manufacturers design their slides with safety in mind, and strict regulations are in place to ensure the safety of riders.

4. Can tangential movement be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, the amount of tangential movement in a waterslide can be controlled and adjusted by changing the curvature and angle of the slide. This can be done during the design and construction phase of the slide.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with tangential movement?

In rare cases, tangential movement can cause riders to lose control and fall off the slide. This is why it is important for riders to follow safety guidelines and for waterslide operators to regularly inspect and maintain their slides to ensure they are safe for riders.