Tangent line to curve, derivative.

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a math problem and has been struggling to find the correct answer despite trying different methods. They are now realizing that they were overcomplicating the problem and have received guidance on how to find the correct solution.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

See the attachment. I feel like my answer is right, but I keep getting told I am wrong. This is the first time I have taken any math in 5 years so I am figuring I must not be simplifying enough? But I can't see what I need to simplify. Perhaps I have made a dumb error and I'm just not seeing it. ARR. I have put this response in a million different ways but I keep getting told I'm wrong, please help! I've tried taking the e^2x out. I've tried multiplying the x through the parenthisis, tried brackets instead of parenthesis. What am i missing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• screen-capture-2.png
    screen-capture-2.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you attached that x+1 to the end but the expression that's attached is just the derivativ of the whole function. You're looking for the slope at a single point only, that is (0,1), and then you can go ahead and find an equation of a tangent line using the slope and a point.

So you're next step should be to evaluate the derivative at the point you need the slope for.

Hope that helps.

hmmm perhaps I should so my work...

I got the derivative, so m, to equal (e^2x)(-pisin(pix)) + (2e^2x)(cos(pix))

and then using the point slope formula

y-1=m(x-0)...

and then i plugged in what I got for the derivative for m

which gave me the answer I had posted above, and moving the -1 to the other side which makes it +1.

Am I totally off base?

Puchinita5 said:
hmmm perhaps I should so my work...

I got the derivative, so m, to equal (e^2x)(-pisin(pix)) + (2e^2x)(cos(pix))

and then using the point slope formula

y-1=m(x-0)...

and then i plugged in what I got for the derivative for m

which gave me the answer I had posted above, and moving the -1 to the other side which makes it +1.

Am I totally off base?

You don't plug in the derivative. You plug in the value of derivative at the point specified.

OMG THANK U! i was making my life so much harder than it needed to be! :)

Related to Tangent line to curve, derivative.

1. What is a tangent line to a curve?

A tangent line to a curve is a line that touches the curve at one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a particular point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

3. How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves taking the limit of the change in the function over the change in the input variable as the change in the input variable approaches zero.

4. What is the relationship between tangent lines and derivatives?

Tangent lines and derivatives are closely related because the derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to a function at a particular point. In other words, the derivative is the mathematical representation of the tangent line.

5. How is the concept of tangent line to a curve and derivative used in real life?

The concept of tangent line to a curve and derivative is used in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. For example, in physics, the derivative is used to calculate instantaneous velocity and acceleration. In economics, it is used to determine marginal cost and revenue. In engineering, it is used to optimize designs and predict the behavior of systems.