Tan^2x =sec^2x-1 also: tan= sec -1 or am I missing something?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an expression with a problem involving factoring and missing parentheses. The final solution is found by using the fact that tan^2x = sec^2x - 1.
Tyrion101
A particular problem with factoring has both of these, one in the denominator and one in the numerator, if it were algebra it would look like: x^2-1/x-1. The trouble is I've forgotten how to simplify this. I'm on taptalk.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you please make more sense of this. What is your problem exactly? And no, [itex]\tan{x}\neq \sec{x}-1[/itex]

That just looks like gibberish on taptalk. Essentially it is Sec^2x-1/Secx-1 once a bit of factoring is done.

Tyrion101 said:
That just looks like gibberish on taptalk. Essentially it is Sec^2x-1/Secx-1 once a bit of factoring is done.

So you want to simplify this expression by factoring or any other means? Ok well, if we take a look at

[tex]x^2-\frac{1}{x}-1[/tex]

and then factor out 1/x giving us

[tex]\frac{1}{x}\left(x^3-x-1\right)[/tex]

The cubic has no rational factors, so that is the best we can do. We're not completely at a loss with simplifying though.

You know that

[tex]\tan^2{x}=\sec^2{x}-1[/tex]

so then use this to simplify your expression.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424221100.710027.jpg

This is my problem.

I solved my problem... I was not removing the square when factoring. Always seems to be that kind of mistake that gets me.

Please use parentheses in future.

x^2-1/x-1
is read as
[tex]x^2-\frac{1}{x}-1[/tex]

while
(x^2-1)/(x-1)
[tex]=\frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x^2- 1}{x- 1}= \frac{(x- 1)(x+ 1)}{x- 1}= x+ 1[/tex] as long as x is not equal to 1.

Likes sp1821

Related to Tan^2x =sec^2x-1 also: tan= sec -1 or am I missing something?

1. What is the difference between tan^2x and sec^2x?

Tan^2x is the square of the tangent function, while sec^2x is the square of the secant function. This means that tan^2x represents the square of the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle, while sec^2x represents the square of the ratio of the hypotenuse to the adjacent side in a right triangle.

2. How do you solve an equation with both tan^2x and sec^2x?

To solve an equation with both tan^2x and sec^2x, you can use the trigonometric identity tan^2x = sec^2x - 1. This identity allows you to rewrite the equation in terms of only one trigonometric function, making it easier to solve.

3. Is tan= sec -1 or am I missing something?

Tan = sec - 1 is not a valid equation. The correct identity is tan^2x = sec^2x - 1. This means that the square of the tangent function is equal to the square of the secant function minus 1. They are not equal to each other.

4. What is the purpose of using trigonometric identities like tan^2x = sec^2x - 1?

Trigonometric identities are used to simplify equations and expressions involving trigonometric functions. In this specific identity, it allows us to rewrite an equation in terms of only one trigonometric function, making it easier to solve or manipulate.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an equation using the identity tan^2x = sec^2x - 1?

Sure, let's say we have the equation tan^2x = 1. We can use the identity tan^2x = sec^2x - 1 to rewrite the equation as sec^2x - 1 = 1. Then, we can simplify it to sec^2x = 2. Taking the square root of both sides, we get secx = √2. Finally, by taking the inverse secant, we get x = sec^-1(√2), which is the solution to the equation.