How to find a general solution to sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x

In summary, Arijit is seeking help with a trigonometry problem involving finding a general solution to the equation sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x. The conversation provides a step-by-step solution using the Pythagorean identity and encourages Arijit to continue solving the problem.
arejet
Hi all,

My name is Arijit Biswas. I have resumed learning maths after a long time and I am stuck with a simple problem in trigonometry.

I need to find a general solution to the equation: sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x. I have worked out something i.e.
1) Multiply by cos2 2x and that makes the equation to: 1 = cos2 2x - sin 2x.cos 2x
2) 1 = cos 2x (cos 2x - sin 2x)
3) Thereafter I expand all terms but I do not find the solutions

Could anybody please help?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Arijit

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Arijit!

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle \sec^2(2x)=1-\tan(2x)\)

I would begin by applying the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)=\tan^2(\theta)+1\) so that we now have:

\(\displaystyle \tan^2(2x)+1=1-\tan(2x)\)

Now, arrange as:

\(\displaystyle \tan^2(2x)+\tan(2x)=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle \tan(2x)\left(\tan(2x)+1\right)=0\)

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
Hello Arijit!

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle \sec^2(2x)=1-\tan(2x)\)

I would begin by applying the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)=\tan^2(\theta)+1\) so that we now have:

\(\displaystyle \tan^2(2x)+1=1-\tan(2x)\)

Now, arrange as:

\(\displaystyle \tan^2(2x)+\tan(2x)=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle \tan(2x)\left(\tan(2x)+1\right)=0\)

Can you proceed?

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the solution. You wouldn't believe, but I was just looking at the Pythagorean identity you used to solve the equation. However it didn't occur to me. How silly! Thanks a lot again!

Related to How to find a general solution to sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x

1. What is the general solution to sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x?

The general solution to this equation is x = nπ + π/4, where n is any integer. This means that any value of x that satisfies the equation will also satisfy this general solution.

2. How do you solve for x in the equation sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use the trigonometric identity sec2 x = 1 + tan2 x. By substituting this into the original equation, you will get 1 + tan2 2x = 1 – tan 2x. From here, you can rearrange the equation to get tan2 2x = -1/2. Then, you can take the square root of both sides to get tan 2x = ±√(-1/2). Finally, you can use a calculator to find the values of x that satisfy this equation.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a specific solution?

A general solution is a solution that satisfies a given equation for any possible value of the variable. In contrast, a specific solution is a solution that satisfies the equation for a specific value or range of values of the variable.

4. How can I check if a value of x is a solution to the equation sec2 2x = 1– tan 2x?

To check if a value of x is a solution, you can substitute it into the equation and see if the equation holds true. For example, if you want to check if x = π/4 is a solution, you would substitute it into the equation to get sec2 (2π/4) = 1– tan (2π/4). If the equation holds true, then x = π/4 is a solution.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the general solution includes all possible values of x that satisfy the equation. So, while there may be specific values of x that satisfy the equation, there are also an infinite number of other values that satisfy the general solution.