Taking partial derivative in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for converting from cartesian to polar coordinates, specifically in regards to finding \frac{dr}{dx}. Method 1 involves using the equation r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and solving for \frac{dr}{dx} using trigonometric identities, while Method 2 involves using the equation x=r\cos\theta and solving for \frac{dr}{dx} by taking the derivative of r with respect to x. The conversation also mentions that Method 1 gives the correct answer and asks for help in understanding why Method 2 is incorrect. Additionally, there is a mention of theta being a function of x and y.
nigels
In a problem that requires converting from cartesian to polar coordinates, I need to take [itex]\frac{dr}{dx}[/itex]. I tried doing it two different ways but getting two completely different answers..

Method 1:

[itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dr}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}2x \;\; = \frac{1}{r}r\cos\theta \;\; = \;\; \cos\theta[/itex]

Method 2:

[itex]x=r\cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]r=\frac{x}{\cos\theta}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{dr}{dx} = \frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/itex]

I know that Method 1 gives the correct answer. But, having not done derivations in a while, what's wrong with my steps in Method 2? Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I claim that theta is a function of x and y, can you find what theta is then?

Last edited:

Related to Taking partial derivative in polar coordinates

What is the formula for taking a partial derivative in polar coordinates?

The formula for taking a partial derivative in polar coordinates is:
∂f/∂r = (∂f/∂x)cosθ + (∂f/∂y)sinθ

How do I know when to use polar coordinates for taking a partial derivative?

Polar coordinates are typically used when a function involves circular or symmetrical patterns. If the function can be expressed in terms of r and θ, then polar coordinates would be the appropriate choice for taking a partial derivative.

Can I convert a partial derivative in polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a partial derivative in polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates using the following formula:
∂f/∂x = (∂f/∂r)cosθ - (1/r)(∂f/∂θ)sinθ
∂f/∂y = (∂f/∂r)sinθ + (1/r)(∂f/∂θ)cosθ

What is the difference between a partial derivative in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between a partial derivative in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is that polar coordinates use the variables r and θ, which represent distance from the origin and angle from the positive x-axis, respectively. Cartesian coordinates use the variables x and y, which represent distance from the origin on the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. Additionally, the formulas for taking partial derivatives in these coordinates systems are different.

Are there any special rules or techniques for taking partial derivatives in polar coordinates?

Yes, there are a few special rules and techniques for taking partial derivatives in polar coordinates. These include the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It is important to be familiar with these rules and practice using them when taking partial derivatives in polar coordinates.