Taking legendre polynomials outside the integral in a multipole expansion

In summary, the homework statement is that a charge is distributed uniformly along the z axis from z=-a to z=+a. The multipole expansion for electrostatic potential is given by Phi(r,theta). If the charge is restricted to the z-axis only, then the P_n(\cos\,\theta') terms in Phi(r,theta) disappear and the potential becomes a single polarity.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

A chare +Q is distributed uniformly along the z axis from z=-a to z=+a. Find the multipole expansion.

Homework Equations

eimg182.gif

Here rho has been changed to lambda, which is just Q/2a and d^3r to dz.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the problem correctly (confirmed since the answer is given in the book.) I could not figure out how to solve the problem. Just to see what happened, I took the legendre polynomial factor outside the integral, and I stumbled onto the correct answer. Was my attempt incorrect, and my correct solution a lucky coincidence, or was my method correct? If my method was correct, why are you allowed to take the legendre polynomial outside the integral? It seems to me that theta must certainly depend on z (I was convinced of this based on fig. 3.28 in Griffiths). It can also be seen from:

eimg178.gif

where r corresponds to z in my problem. Certainly in the figure above if you changed r theta would also change.

Attachments

• eimg182.gif
    eimg182.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You got lucky. That equation from ScienceWorld isn't even right. There should be a [itex]P_n(\cos\,\theta)[/itex] outside the integral and a [itex]P_n(\cos\,\theta\,')[/itex] inside the integral, where [itex]\theta\,'[/itex] is one of the terms integrated over by [itex]d^3\mathbf r[/itex].

D H said:
You got lucky. That equation from ScienceWorld isn't even right. There should be a [itex]P_n(\cos\,\theta)[/itex] outside the integral and a [itex]P_n(\cos\,\theta\,')[/itex] inside the integral, where [itex]\theta\,'[/itex] is one of the terms integrated over by [itex]d^3\mathbf r[/itex].

No, there's nothing wrong with his equation; it results from a straight forward expansion of [itex]|\textbf{R}-\textbf{r}|^{-1}=(R^2+r^2-2rR\cos\theta)^{-1/2}[/itex] in the case [itex]R>r[/itex]

mjordan2nd said:

Homework Statement

eimg182.gif

Here rho has been changed to lambda, which is just Q/2a and d^3r to dz.

It might help you to visualize what's going on here if you represent [itex]\rho[/itex] in terms of delta functions and explicitly reduce the integral to a single one over [itex]z[/itex]...

Certainly in the figure above if you changed r theta would also change.

Careful, since [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{R}[/itex], it will certainly change as [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] changes in direction, but changing the length of [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] will have no effect on the angle between it and [itex]\textbf{R}[/itex].

When you integrate over [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], the direction of [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] will change, but the charge density is zero except for [itex]x=y=0[/itex], and hence contributes nothing to the integral. The only non-zero contribution comes when [itex]\textbf{r}=z\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex], and this vector points in the same direction throughout the integration over [itex]z[/itex], so [itex]\theta[/itex] will be be a constant in your integral.

In general I disagree. In this case, it happens to work. That equation is from a wolfram article, which should have known better.

Another way to look at this is that the spherical harmonics form an orthogonal set of functions over the square integrable functions. One can represent a vector v in N-space in terms of any set of orthogonal vectors ui

[tex]\aligned
\mathbf v &= \sum_n a_n \mathbf u_n \\
\mathbf a_n &= \frac {\mathbf v \cdot \mathbf u_n}{||\mathbf u_n||}
\endaligned[/tex]

This concept carries over to function space spanned by a set of orthogonal polynomials, with the inner product defined in terms of an integral. The above finite sum becomes an infinite sum.

The expansion of [itex]1/||\mathbf r - \mathbf r'||[/itex] in terms of the spherical harmonics leads to the multipole expansion of the electrostatic potential. A couple of articles:
http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/Physics/Electromagnetism/Electrostatics/ElectrostaticPotential/Multipole/Multipole.htm
http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/nat_Fak_IV/Theoretische_Chemie/Homeier/preprint/TC-QM-97-5/node2.html

In the special case of axial symmetry, the sectorial and tesseral harmonics terms vanish, leaving only the zonal harmonics. These can be rewritten in terms of the Legendre polynomials:

[tex]\aligned
\Phi(r,\theta) &= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n P_n(\cos\,\theta)}{r^{n+1}} \\
a_n &= \int d\mathbf r^{\prime}\, \rho(\mathbf r^{\prime}) r^{\prime n} P_n(\cos\,\theta')
\endaligned[/tex]

In the very special case of a charge restricted to the z axis, those [itex]P_n(\cos\,\theta')[/itex] terms become 1 or -1; they nicely just drop out.

This is what I meant by he got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I maintain my position that there is still nothing wrong with his equation

[tex]V(R)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{R^{n+1}}\int r^n P_n(\cos\theta)\rho(\textbf{r})d^3\textbf{r}[/tex]

even in the general case, so long as [itex]R>r[/itex].

In the above equation, [itex]\theta[/itex] is defined as the angle between the vectors [itex]\textbf{R}[/itex] (the position of the field point relative to the origin) and [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] ((the position of each source point [itex]dq=\rho(\textbf{r})d^3\textbf{r}[/itex] relative to the origin), not as the polar angle of [itex]\textbf{R}[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] in general. This definition should be clear from the OP's diagram.

Related to Taking legendre polynomials outside the integral in a multipole expansion

What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a special type of mathematical function that are used to describe the shape of objects in space. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are commonly used in physics and engineering.

What is the multipole expansion?

The multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the electric and magnetic fields of a distribution of charges or currents. It involves breaking down the fields into simpler components, such as point charges or dipoles, in order to make calculations easier.

Why are Legendre polynomials used in the multipole expansion?

Legendre polynomials are used in the multipole expansion because they can accurately describe the shape of objects and their associated electric and magnetic fields. They are also orthogonal, meaning they are mathematically independent, making them useful for breaking down more complex fields.

What does it mean to take Legendre polynomials outside the integral in a multipole expansion?

Taking Legendre polynomials outside the integral in a multipole expansion means that instead of integrating the polynomials over a certain range, they are factored out of the integral. This is often done to simplify the calculations and make the resulting equations easier to work with.

What are the benefits of taking Legendre polynomials outside the integral in a multipole expansion?

Taking Legendre polynomials outside the integral can make the equations in a multipole expansion simpler and easier to solve. It can also help to reveal important relationships between different components of the electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, it can make it easier to analyze and compare different multipole expansions for different distributions of charges or currents.