Multipole expansion - small problem

There is no ##\sin\theta## term in the multipole expansion.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the multipole expansion of the potential due to a given charge distribution, specifically looking at the \frac{r^{l}_{<}}{r^{l+1}_{>}} term. The conversation also touches on integrating the multipole expansion into an integral and addressing a potential issue with the \sin\theta term.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

Jackson 4.7

Given a localized charge distribution:

[tex]
\rho(r)=\frac{1}{64\pi}r^{2} e^{-r} sin^{2}\theta
[/tex]

make the multipole expansion of the potential due to this charge distribution and determine all nonvanishing moments. Write down the potential at large distances as a finite expansion in Legendre polynomials.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\frac{1}{x-x'}=4\pi\sum^{\inf}_{l=0}\sum^{l}_{m=-l}\frac{1}{2l+1}\frac{r^{l}_{<}}{r^{l+1}_{>}}Y^{*}_{l,m}(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is with the [tex]\frac{r^{l}_{<}}{r^{l+1}_{>}}[/tex] Term as I don't know what I should set the r values to in this case, my original idea was to use the r< term as some constant say R then proceed with the multipole expansion but I think the solution does not have this term in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
##r_< = \min\{r,r'\}## and ##r_> = \max\{r,r'\}##

Hey, I had another problem I input the multipole expansion into the integral

[tex]
\frac{1}{\epsilon_o}\int^{r}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\frac{r'^2 e^{-r'}}{64\pi}4\pi\sin^2{\theta'}\sum^{\inf}_{l=0}\sum^{l}_{m=-l}\frac{1}{2l+1}\frac{r'^{l}}{r^{l+1}}Y^{*}_{l,m}(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)r'^2\sin\theta'd\theta'd\phi'dr'
[/tex]

Now I have to integrate but have a problem on the [tex]sin\theta'[/tex] term, I know I can express the [tex] \sin^2\theta'=1-\cos^2\theta'[/tex] which can then be used as a spherical harmonic but I do not know what to do with the sin(theta) term

What ##\sin\theta## term?

I understand your confusion with the r< and r> terms in the multipole expansion. In this case, the r< term represents the smaller of the two distances between the point of interest and the charge distribution, and the r> term represents the larger of the two distances. In this problem, the charge distribution is localized, meaning that it is confined to a specific region in space. Therefore, the r< term will always be the distance from the point of interest to the center of the charge distribution, and the r> term will be the distance from the point of interest to the boundary of the charge distribution.

To solve this problem, you can use the multipole expansion formula provided in the Homework Equations section. First, you will need to expand the term \frac{1}{x-x'} using the binomial theorem. Then, you can plug in the given charge distribution and use the fact that the Legendre polynomials are orthogonal to determine the nonvanishing moments. Finally, you can write the potential at large distances as a finite expansion in Legendre polynomials by using the Legendre expansion of the spherical harmonics.

I hope this helps clarify the multipole expansion for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of electromagnetism!

Related to Multipole expansion - small problem

1. What is the multipole expansion method used for?

The multipole expansion method is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a complex system by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable components. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving electric or magnetic fields.

2. How does the multipole expansion method work?

The multipole expansion method involves expanding a function or potential into a series of terms, each representing a different type of multipole moment. These moments are calculated by integrating the function over a specific region or volume. The more terms included in the expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the difference between a monopole, dipole, and higher order multipole moment?

A monopole moment represents the overall magnitude or strength of a distribution, while a dipole moment represents the asymmetry or directional alignment of the distribution. Higher order multipole moments, such as quadrupoles and octopoles, represent more complex patterns and variations in the distribution.

4. How is the accuracy of a multipole expansion determined?

The accuracy of a multipole expansion is determined by the number of terms included in the expansion and the distance from the center of the expansion. The closer the observation point is to the center, the more accurate the approximation will be. Additionally, including more terms in the expansion will lead to a more accurate result.

5. What are some applications of the multipole expansion method?

The multipole expansion method is commonly used in fields such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to solve problems involving electric or magnetic fields, such as calculating the energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is also used in wave scattering problems, where a complex wave can be approximated by a series of simpler waves with different multipole moments.