Taking imaginary integral and derivative

In summary, when solving quantum problems, it is common to encounter equations with complex constants. To take the derivative or integral of these functions, you can treat the complex constants as if they were real. However, it is recommended to study complex analysis to fully understand this concept. When using tools like Wolfram Alpha, it is important to properly format the input to avoid confusion and inaccurate results.
chaotic

Homework Statement

when I am solving quantum problem, i see an equation like e^(-kx) e^(icx) i is imaginary. how can i take the integral and derivative of this function

Homework Equations

e^ix ) cosx + isinx

The Attempt at a Solution

actually i tried e^x(-k+ic) and i said the derivative is just (-k+ic)* e^x(-k+ic) :)

please help and teach me!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is correct. You can treat complex constants as if they were real in differentiation and integration. However, I would recommend getting some introductory text on complex analysis and study it at least until differentiation and integration are introduced.

That's because it is confused by the input. Note it treats "icx" as all caps CIX and assumes it is a constant.

agh :) thank you very much i understand now :)

chaotic said:
when i take the same derivative with wolfram i get another result http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d(e^(-kx)+e^(icx))/dx
Wolfram seems to have treated the second x as some constant X. In fact, it looks suspiciously as though it has interpreted "icx" as Roman Numerals "CIX" (109). Bizarre.

yes it is very confusing I am trying to find solution for 2 hours just because of that it is funny it takes my precious time :)

A space after i and before c does wonders. But the output is still a bit odd.

voko said:
A space after i and before c does wonders. But the output is still a bit odd.
Yes, [itex]\ \ i(c+i k) e^{-k x+i c x}\ \ [/itex] is a bit odd, isn't it?

Related to Taking imaginary integral and derivative

1. What is an imaginary integral and derivative?

An imaginary integral and derivative is a mathematical concept that involves taking the integral or derivative of a function that includes imaginary numbers, which are numbers that involve the square root of a negative number.

2. How is an imaginary integral and derivative different from a regular integral and derivative?

An imaginary integral and derivative follows the same rules as a regular integral and derivative, but it involves using complex numbers and complex conjugates in the calculations.

3. When would you use an imaginary integral and derivative in real-world applications?

An imaginary integral and derivative is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in fields involving waves and oscillations, to model and analyze systems that involve complex numbers.

4. How do you solve an imaginary integral and derivative?

To solve an imaginary integral, you follow the same steps as solving a regular integral, but you may need to use complex numbers and complex conjugates in your calculations. Similarly, solving an imaginary derivative involves using complex numbers and complex conjugates in the derivative formula.

5. Are there any limitations to using imaginary integrals and derivatives?

While imaginary integrals and derivatives are useful in certain applications, they may not be applicable in all situations. For example, in some cases, the use of imaginary numbers may not accurately represent the real-world phenomenon being studied.