Taking First-year University Physics w/o Grade 12 Algebra?

In summary: But its good to know that Im prepared for physics if I ever decide to take it.In summary, this person is a philosophy major who does not have the grade 12 maths from high school, but should be fine taking first year physics without the knowledge of algebraic equations and applications. If the person can manipulate an equation to solve for one variable in terms of the other variables that are present, then they will be fine.
dannyboy4
Hey everyone,

I'm a philosophy major hoping to pick up physics as a minor. However, I do not have the grade 12 maths from high school (I goofed off a lot :)). I was wondering if first-year university physics is doable without the knowledge of the algebraic equations and applications?

I consider myself at least moderately good at mathematics, but I've never taken a physics course before, so I am not sure of what to expect when going to class. Also, I will be taking a first year calculus course that has an extra hour of lecture per week developing pre-calculus skills, so as the semester goes on, I will be gaining the knowledge; it's the first part of the semester that concerns me (I wouldn't want to be left behind!).

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can't do algebra then a physics class will be pretty pointless. Same for a calculus class. So it depends on how well you know algerba without having taken the algebra class you mention.

You will need to know vectors and without having at least a pre-calculus class that topic will probably seem very strange/new to you. Not that you don't have the ability to do physics, but you just simply haven't been formally introduced to some of the mathematical tools necessary for a good understanding of classical mechanics.

I would wait to take physics until I had taken at least pre-calc. I'm surprised your university doesn't require calculus as a co-requisite (unless the class you are looking at is just a "survey" class).

At least where I'm from, algebra is begun way before grade 12, so depending on what you are actually missing, you might be fine. If you have the ability to manipulate an equation to solve for one variable in terms of the other variables that are present, that will go a long way.

There are non-calculus based first year physics courses for life science majors etc, and I assume that you'll be taking a course like that. However, I feel compelled to point out (just so you are aware), that taking physics without calculus misses the core of the subject. Newton invented calculus because he needed it to describe nature. In the algebra-only first year mechanics (laws of motion) courses, you are sort of limited to memorizing the fundamental equations and plugging numbers into them. With calculus, one can derive these equations from first principles ie understand where everything comes from.

I'm not saying that you should take the calculus-based physics course designed for majors. I just thought I would give you a little heads up that it is essential to a true understanding of the subject, so that maybe one day you can delve into that.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I took a look at the course offerings, and I should be able to get away with taking calculus this fall and winter and take first year physics next year.

The way the courses are, I am able to fulfil a minor in two years of study (most take about 3 years to do).

:)

I'm taking calculus 1 and university physics right now, and its somewhat difficult. The first lecture I just couldn't keep up with the math. So I've just been cramming in how to do derivatives and integrals.

Related to Taking First-year University Physics w/o Grade 12 Algebra?

1. Can I take first-year university physics without having taken Grade 12 algebra?

Yes, it is possible to take first-year university physics without having taken Grade 12 algebra. However, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra before taking university-level physics courses.

2. Will I struggle in first-year university physics without having taken Grade 12 algebra?

It is possible that you may struggle in first-year university physics without a strong background in algebra. Many concepts in physics are heavily based on algebra, so it is important to have a good understanding of it before taking the course.

3. Can I catch up on algebra while taking first-year university physics?

It may be difficult to catch up on algebra while taking first-year university physics. The course moves at a fast pace and requires a strong understanding of algebra. It is recommended to brush up on algebra before starting the course, rather than trying to learn it while taking the course.

4. Are there any resources available to help me with algebra while taking first-year university physics?

Many universities offer support services such as tutoring or study groups for students struggling with algebra while taking first-year university physics. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.

5. Will I need to use algebra in every aspect of first-year university physics?

While algebra is an important foundation for physics, it may not be used in every aspect of the course. Some topics may require more advanced math, such as calculus. However, having a strong understanding of algebra will still greatly benefit your understanding of physics overall.