T/F Physics Homework Questions

In summary, virtual images are created by using microscopes and telescopes, which present real images to the user, while real images are what the user sees with their own eyes.
Eddie10
Can someone check these for accuracy please?

1. Homework Statement

1. Light really passes through the position of a real image whether or not a screen, film, or ground glass is there to catch it.

2. You need a screen or ground glass to make a virtual image visible.

3. In a multi-lens system the image of each lens becomes the object for the next lends downstream.

4.Microscopes and telescopes for visual use provide a real image for the user to look at.

5. Virtual objects and virtual images have negative object and image distances, respectively.

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations needed that I think of to answer these questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, these are my answers

1. T

2. F

3. T

4. T

5. T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2. Are you sure you can put a screen/... at the position of a virtual image and see something?
4. What about virtual images?

For number 2, I think it is false, and you don't need a screen, or other surface for a virtual image because from my class lecture, the prof said that compacts can be used to create virtual images, and if you stand a certain length away from the compact, you will see a virtual image of your face appear in thin air. However, this reasoning is not scientific by any means, and I'd like a hint that leads me to the correct concept.

For number 4, I think it is false as well, because microscopes and telescopes magnify, so they present virtual images from real images that we examine. The images are enlarged through the lens system of each respective instrument. Right?

Last edited:
Eddie10 said:
and if you stand a certain length away from the compact, you will see a virtual image of your face appear in thin air.
I don't think this is meant with "make visible".

Check what "real" and "virtual" mean for images. They have a very special meaning in optics.

Will do, thanks!

Related to T/F Physics Homework Questions

1. What is the difference between true and false in physics?

True in physics refers to a statement or answer that is supported by scientific evidence and can be proven to be accurate. False, on the other hand, refers to a statement or answer that is not supported by evidence and is proven to be inaccurate.

2. How can I determine if an answer to a physics homework question is true or false?

In order to determine the accuracy of an answer to a physics homework question, it is important to carefully analyze the question and the given information, and then use scientific principles and formulas to arrive at a logical and supported conclusion.

3. Can a true statement in physics ever become false?

In some cases, a true statement in physics may become false if new evidence or discoveries are made that contradict the original statement. This is why the scientific method involves constantly testing and revising theories and hypotheses.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about true and false in physics?

One common misconception is that if something is true in one situation, it must be true in all situations. However, in physics, the accuracy of a statement or answer can depend on various factors and conditions.

5. How can I improve my ability to determine if a statement in physics is true or false?

To improve your ability to determine the accuracy of statements in physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of scientific principles and to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful in improving your skills in this area.