Systems that convert lateral preassure into torque HELP

In summary, a ratchet can be used to provide a rotational speed boost to a wheel without the need for the pedals to continually move.
mcpp
I am not an ME but I have a problem I am working on.

I am looking for a mechanical system that would convert a short distance of heavy downward preassure into a strong amount of rotational torque on a wheel. For instance, 150lbs downward preasure over 2" distance converting to 50+ ftlbs torque. What would this type of system be called in the engineering world?

I know a system like this has been designed with a short pulled trigger on a toy gun powering a small electric motor to spin a flint very quickly. http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5421719_toy-spark-guns-work.html

I am wondering what options I have.
Thank you in advance for all your hard earned knowledge

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcpp said:
I am not an ME but I have a problem I am working on.

I am looking for a mechanical system that would convert a short distance of heavy downward preassure into a strong amount of rotational torque on a wheel. For instance, 150lbs downward preasure over 2" distance converting to 50+ ftlbs torque. What would this type of system be called in the engineering world?

A piston. Or more generically a crank-slider mechanism.

xxChrisxx said:
A piston. Or more generically a crank-slider mechanism.

Or just a wrench.

Unrest said:
Or just a wrench.

Indeed.

It's strange how our minds become optimised to think in certain ways. I saw the words linear pressure and rotational torque, and piston was the first thing into my brain.

Unrest said:
Or just a wrench.

Well, the driving force for a wrench isn't purely lateral. You could get away with it for very short distances, but there will be motion in two directions rather than just one.

A wrench isn't incorrect per se, but the crank slider is a more correct.

I am not sure a crank slider will work though.

I need to spin this wheel about 50-60 mph. At the same time I need to be able to apply energy to it in intervals not constantly. I need some kind of system that will allow me not to add energy except for when I want to. Almost like blowing a baffle into hot coals. I don't want the energy supplying system to be tied into the moving wheel. How do you get a wheel to spin like this?

One of the problems I see happening is the rotation of the wheel becoming too great and when more energy is applied it would strip gears or something off of the energy applying system.

I apologize for my ignorance in advance.. :) It would be kind of like the system a bmx bike uses to add rotational speed to the rear tier without the pedals having to move all the time. What is this called and can it be designed without the use of a chain?

The first thing I thought of when I read the post actually will fit this pretty well. I'm not sure of the techinal name, but its a centrifugal pump, but in reverse.

You have an impeller on the end of your shaft that you want spun. Then just as you said you can force air into the impeller chamber, onto the impeller blades, to drive the impeller around, just like using a baffle on hot coals. However, I imagine start up could potenially take a while depending on the intertia of the shaft. Friction/air resistance could also be a big issue. You'd be using your baffle pretty regularly...

mcpp said:
I apologize for my ignorance in advance.. :) It would be kind of like the system a bmx bike uses to add rotational speed to the rear tier without the pedals having to move all the time. What is this called and can it be designed without the use of a chain?

Ratchet if you only want to go in one direction or some kind of overruning clutch.

You are being a bit vague in what you are trying to achieve so it's hard to give specific advice, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

This is really quite confusing. mcpp could you clarify these things?

Do you want to apply fluid pressure or transmit force mechanically?
What kind of motion does the applied force/pressure have to have? Reciprocating?
How fast does the wheel have to spin?
Does it have to keep applying the same 50ft-lb torque at all speeds?
What's the application?
Does the applied force have to provide the required torque immediately, or can you use several cycles to spin up a flywheel, which I suspect is what those spark guns might be doing?

Sounds like a ratchet or overrunning clutch as Chris suggested might be what you're after.

There are these hand squeeze powered flashlights that have an overrunning clutch. When you squeeze the lever, it acts like a centrifugal clutch with teeth engaging the generator. Then when you release, it reverses direction and slips past like a ratchet.
S1038523247.jpg

Related to Systems that convert lateral preassure into torque HELP

1. What is lateral pressure and how does it relate to torque?

Lateral pressure refers to the force applied perpendicular to an object's surface. In systems that convert lateral pressure into torque, this pressure is used to produce a rotational force, or torque, on a shaft or axis.

2. What are some common applications for systems that convert lateral pressure into torque?

These systems are commonly used in machinery and equipment that require a rotational force, such as pumps, motors, and steering systems.

3. How do these systems work?

Typically, these systems use a lever, gear, or other mechanism to transfer the lateral pressure onto a rotating element, such as a shaft. As the pressure is applied, the rotating element begins to turn, producing torque.

4. What are the advantages of using systems that convert lateral pressure into torque?

One advantage is that they can easily convert linear motion into rotational motion, making them versatile for a variety of applications. They also tend to be more efficient and require less maintenance compared to other methods of producing torque.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with these systems?

One limitation is that they may not be suitable for high torque applications, as the lateral pressure may not be strong enough to produce the desired rotational force. Additionally, these systems may be more complex and require more components compared to other methods of producing torque.