System involving nonlinear equations.

In summary, the best approach for obtaining the inverse of a system of equations involving nonlinear equations is to first solve for one variable in terms of the other using substitution or elimination. Then, substitute the value of that variable in the second equation to express the other variable in terms of the given constants or variables. This method applies to any system of nonlinear equations and can be used to obtain the inverse solution. It is important to identify which equations are linear and which are nonlinear to accurately solve the system.
D.K
What is the best approach for obtaining the inverse of a system of equations involving nonlinear equations?
Say:
3x^2 - 2y = i
x + y = j
Solving for x and y in terms of i and j?
Note: This is not a homework problem, just a general question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
D.K said:
What is the best approach for obtaining the inverse of a system of equations involving nonlinear equations?
Say:
3x^2 - 2y = i
x + y = j
Solving for x and y in terms of i and j?
Note: This is not a homework problem, just a general question.

Here, I would say y=j-x then substitute that in for y.

3x^2 - 2(j-x) = i

Solve for x...

[tex]x = \pm \frac{1}{3} \left(\sqrt{6 j+3 i+1}-1\right)[/tex]

Then, knowing what x is, substitute x in the second equation to express y in terms of i and j.

Char. Limit said:
Here, I would say y=j-x then substitute that in for y.

3x^2 - 2(j-x) = i

Solve for x...

[tex]x = \pm \frac{1}{3} \left(\sqrt{6 j+3 i+1}-1\right)[/tex]

Then, knowing what x is, substitute x in the second equation to express y in terms of i and j.

Thanks a lot. For some reason, I have always had difficulty with simple things like these!

There are no workable non lin equations that aren't reduced to a sum lin equations

blah blah blah

The real sht is identifying lin equations to reality

Related to System involving nonlinear equations.

1. What are nonlinear equations?

Nonlinear equations are mathematical equations that involve terms with powers higher than one (such as x^2 or x^3) and/or terms with products of variables (such as xy or x^2y). These types of equations do not follow a straight line when graphed and can have multiple solutions.

2. How are nonlinear equations different from linear equations?

Linear equations only involve terms with powers of one (such as x or y) and do not have any products of variables. They always have a straight line as their graph and only have one solution. Nonlinear equations, on the other hand, can have curved graphs and multiple solutions.

3. Why are nonlinear equations important?

Nonlinear equations are important in many areas of science, engineering, and economics because they can model complex systems that cannot be accurately described by linear equations. They are also used to study natural phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.

4. How are nonlinear equations solved?

There are various methods for solving nonlinear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Another common approach is to use numerical methods, such as Newton's method or the bisection method, which use iterative processes to approximate the solutions of the equations.

5. What are some applications of nonlinear equations?

Nonlinear equations have many practical applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and designing complex electronic circuits. They are also used in fields such as physics, biology, and chemistry to study the behavior of systems that cannot be described by linear equations.